NON Beach Activities in Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok...1 of us tans a bit and the other is a fair redhead! SOOOO not really big into just lying around on the beach.

We are more active vacationers.

What can expect from a trip to Hawaii over Xmas 2004?

My mother wants to do a family trip there and my husband--the redhead isn't very interested.

How can I convince him that it will be fun and he won't be bored or stuck inside from the sun! We are both not fans of heat and humidity--we left the south to cool off!

Thanks
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:50 PM
uuhhhh

maybe hubby isn't "interested" but apparently you are, already planning for something more than a year and a half away.

if hubby likes to golf, play tennis, hike, ride bikes or sightsee he'll be fine. but the fact is, most people go to the islands for the sun and the surf.

Old May 14th, 2003, 02:19 PM

This will totally depend on where in Hawaii you are going, but there is plenty to do in Hawaii besides laying on a beach!

We went last June, and greatly enjoyed the Hilo side of the Big Island. This is definalty not just hot and humid, and the Volcanoes National Park provides days of activities that are non-beach related. We got to see active lava flow, which was an amazing experience.

Good luck planning, and have fuN!
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:51 PM

Alise,

I would not consider Hawaii to be 'hot and humid.' The weather is certainly one of the most desirable features of a Hawaii vacation.

If your husband's complexion discourages him from outdoor activity, then perhaps Hawaii is not the best vacation location for him. However, if he's just not into tanning, but enjoys outdoor activities, Hawaii is a great location. As the previous poster mentioned there's all sorts of recreational activities. Don't forget water sports!

Besides the Volcanoes Nat. Park, there's Haleakala on Maui (the Grand Canyon of Hawaii), Fern Grotto on Kauai, the Road to Hana. You can take in a luau, enjoy exotic drinks, island entertainment. I personally love to walk and enjoy the scenery in Hawaii. If you've never been, you should do it once.
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:55 PM

Search the web for the following words - I suspect you'll find one (or two things to keep him happy:

1. Hike to the top of Diamond Head (or one of the many trails on the islands).
2. Visit the zoo (I was surprised how much I liked it).
3. Go to Pearl Harbor.
4. Go to the Polynesian Cultural Center.
5. Visit the Bishop Museum
6. Find all the spots on the islands where Jurassic Park was filmed.
7. Visit another island (they are very different).
8. Visit Kapiolani Park on Oahu and watch life go by.
9. Do the road to Hana on Maui
10. Find every spot on the islands where Jack Lord said "Book'em, Dano" on Hawaii Five-O.
11. Go snokeling
12. Visit the Leper Colony (Hanson's Disease) on Molokai.
13. Two words: Erupting Volcanoes
14. And the most important thing to do - "It's Hawaii, bro - just kick back and relax".

Mike Honeycutt
Old May 14th, 2003, 03:23 PM

I have two words, an acronym and a number:

"Banana Boat SPF 30".

You can stay Dracula-pallid with this stuff and enjoy the Great Outdoors wherever you are. Just reapply every so often. I am quite fair, but won't give up that Outdoor Livin' stuff for anything, so I just keep buying tubes of my sunscreen and go on my way.

Don't miss Hawai'i just because of some sun. Slather on some lotion and live!
Old May 14th, 2003, 03:38 PM

Horseback riding
Helicopter Rides
Whalewatching in winter
Hiking
Fishing

I live in Florida and found the Hawaiian weather beautiful. Just bring the sunscreen.

Or just leave his butt behind. If it's something you want to do, then do it! Better to enjoy it with your family, then to have him come along and be unhappy.
Old May 14th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Kal

Alooohaaaa,
Boy! This board IS becoming pretty tame because I haven't heard one suggestion about probably everybody's favorite "indoor activity" when on vacation! ;^)

We've been over to Kauai for Christmas, New Year's Eve for the past few years and never found it to be too hot or humid.
in fact, the past few years we've actually had to wear a longsleeve
t-shirt at night a few times.

We're pretty fair skinned, too, but if you use the higher number sunscreens, as rjw mentions (oh no...here goes the SPF# debate?) you shouldn't have a problem with outdoor activities.

Now, about that list of indoor activities.....
Mahalo,
Kal
227 mo' days!
Old May 14th, 2003, 07:14 PM

My wife & I love Hawaii and, for me, "prone on the beach" time is measured in minutes ! Boring !
Prior posters have offered lists, to those I'll add walking/hiking, on Kauai, for just one example, you have the Waimea Canyon with many trails of varying exertion level, then there's ATV tours, horseback riding (on Maui at higher altitudes so cooler, BI too I believe). Suffice it to say, there's a ton of things to do on the islands if you want to be active. Once there, we usually find a few of our plans simply dissolve into sheer relaxation & sipping umbrella drinks watching the waves and sunsets .. it's what happens !
Old May 15th, 2003, 06:56 AM

DH and I LOVE the beach, but we spent 2 weeks there (Maui and Kauai)and only spent one day at the beach. (And no we weren't inside the whole time

I feel like a broken record, but once again I will recommend the books available at wizardpub.com that are written by locals. We never left the hotel without one. This will give you a good idea of the other types of activities.
Old May 15th, 2003, 04:06 PM

I'm snow white blue eyed burn in the shade baby, and beach, car or window, I can burn.I can't wait to enjoy the beach, hiking, exploring and being on the Big Island, my solution, sunproof clothing. I have SunSafe swim shirts and pants, turtle neck long sleeve and long ankle length pant, in quick dry nylon, and Solarviel cover-ups. Check the American Cancer, Skin Cancer or Albino org. and you will find sunprotective clothing.I still dont go out in the high sun, I like mornings and evenings.
Old May 16th, 2003, 01:20 PM

I'm a whitey and live here! http://www.101things.com/ If you need more specific things let me know.
Old May 16th, 2003, 06:23 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Big Island. Volcanoes NP, waterfalls, Parker Ranch cowboys (I know, Paniolos), historic sites, coffee plantations, Hilo funk, open roads and walks and not many people. Oh, and golf courses and a few great beaches (white, black and green), and Malasadas and Sam Choy breakfasts (Kona industrial park) and Ocean Sushi Deli (Hilo) and the Canoe House and Merriman's... Okay, dinner time.

If it gets too hot, head on up to the observatories on Mauna Kea - snow on the ground, damn little oxygen in the air. Amazing.
Old May 19th, 2003, 05:37 PM

Just remember to apply sunscreen to the top of your head! I got a wicked sunburn in my part!!

A couple other non-beach ideas: On the Big Island we went to Akaka Falls Park on the Hilo side and it was very lush and enjoyable--cool falls. Also went to the Mauna Loa macadamia nut plantation (farm??), which was kinda fun. Fresh roasted macadamia nuts-mmm. We rode bikes down the mountain and went snorkeling.

It was also relaxing to just go for a drive, check out the scenery, find a pretty spot and just hang loose.
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:05 AM

Alise has your husband ever thought about dyeing his hair black, this should solve the problem.
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:30 AM

Brunch one Sunday a month in Waikiki
Movies on the beach on the weekends
Art museums
Horsebackriding
hiking moana falls
stairway to heaven hike
get a shaved ice on the north shore
dance the night away at Esprit
take salsa lessons at Aquas
look-out over the Pali
luau
Botanical gardens
Farmer's Market
Outlet Mall
Ward Center
Take a covered boat cruise
International Market
Swap Meet
EAT
Aquarium
Lots of adventures at Sea Life Park
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:41 AM

To start a big family fight here - in our family if one person really does not want to go to a specific destination, we generally skip it.

I wanted to go to London this summer, but we are headed to US West - vacations are too important and expensive to drag a reluctant spouse along. I think your husband's vote is more important than your mother's vote.
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:29 AM

If you do decide to spend a little time on the beach...On Oahu, Kailua Beach Park as lots of shade - also very beautiful. I burn in about 10 minutes and the plentiful shade at this beach contributes to making it one of my favorites. I can stay all day, enjoy the beauty of the beach, rest in the shade, feel the breeze, and not roast. Prefect. Several good lunch spots within walking distance.

Hanauma Bay also has a fair amount of shade - so even the melanin-challenged can enjoy their time at the beach.

Also - apply LOTS of waterproof sunscreen in the morning before leaving the hotel. This was you can be sure to cover every square inch. Adequate application means at least 1 oz. applied for the entire body, and reapplied as needed. A big bottle will only last a few days.

There are loads of non-beach activities on all islands, as other posters have mentioned.