Information about Hawaii please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having recently returned from holiday in the US, my wife and I are starting to consider next years trip.

This year we had quite a hectic itinery visiting San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, LA, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and New York. With the exception of New York we drove everywhere.

Next year, whilst we still indend doing some exploring, my wife would like a portion of the holiday to be more of a traditional beach type so is suggesting Hawaii.

I was just wondering what it is like to visit there. Any help would be appriciated.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 07:30 AM
MaureenB

I suspect you will get lots of replies like mine: Hawaii is heavenly!
We have been there for about 5 two-week visits, and will go back for more as often as possible. You can choose between the different Hawaiian islands, depending on your preferences. Each has a slightly different flavor. We go to the Big Island (Hawaii) because we like its diversity of landscape, its large size which seems uncrowded, and its laid-back attitude. Read up on the different islands, and decide what type of experience you want. Then ask more specific questions and you will get a wealth of info. here. Allow two weeks' stay if you possibly can. That way you can experience two islands if you want.
Actually, you can't go wrong with any of the Hawaiian islands for relaxing, eating, exploring, shopping, enjoying ocean sports, and anything tropical your heart desires. Aloha and Mahalo!

Old Oct 20th, 2005, 07:43 AM

You can tell by my callname that I LOVE HAWAII! I have never thought of it as a traditional beach place, though. For that, I think of Florida or the Caribbean. Hawaii has such a diversity of terrain - from rainforest to almost desert, mountains, volcano - that I end up doing quite a bit of touring and not just "beaching it". Plus few of the beaches are those white powdery sand ones...
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:21 AM

I like Oahu because there are so many things to do there.

Here is a thread with lots of things to see and do on Oahu. Many of the websites on the thread are good for all islands:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34652188

Maui:

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com

Big Island:

www.bigisland.org

Kauai:

www.kauaidiscovery.com

www.kauai-hawaii.com
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:33 AM

We stayed that the Manderin Oriental Kahala on Oahu this past March for a week. The best part about Hawaii is that it has the BEST weather. Enjoy the beach without the heat! Plus it is very safe. Rent a car and just drive drive drive!
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:47 AM

You'll find tons of information just searching on this board. We're just back from our first trip to Hawaii (Oahu, Maui and Kauai) and did most of the planning with research here and Flyertalk, and some good guidebooks. Now we want to go back -- it was a lovely vacation.

Not sure if the "Revealed" series is available in the UK, but that is regarded as the "blue bible" on Hawaiian travel. There's a separate title for each island, titles like "Maui Revealed" etc. For me, planning is half the fun (well, almost).

However, you can have a wonderful beach vacation on mainland US also, everywhere from Cape Cod to Florida on the eastern seaboard. (Where would depend on the season, which is not the case for Hawaii of course.) Hawaii is a long flight from here, so REALLY long from the UK -- not that most Brits seems to be deterred by that these days!
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 12:57 PM
bip

The Island of Oahu is VERY commercialized and VERY crowded. It is indeed beautiful and exciting, but be ready for the crowds, if that's what you want. I haven't been to the other islands but I've heard they're less congested and just (if not more so) beautiful. Now that our kids are almost grown, my husband and I want to go back and visit one of the other islands.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Don't confuse Waikiki with the entire island of Oahu. It has it's wild, isolated, ruggedly beautiful areas too! All of the islands are wonderful in their own way.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oops, someone beat me too it, the entire ISLAND of Oahu is not "VERY crowded and VERY commercialized" in my opinion, mostly Waikiki and parts of Honolulu... and some of us even love that part.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 02:13 PM

suze-
Once again we're on the same page. BTW, aren't you the famous "Pearl Harbor suze"? LOL...
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 07:40 PM

You mean THAT Suze?????????????
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 11:10 PM

A third response telling you that the charac erization of OAHU as "Busy and commercialized " is inaccurate. It has SOOOO much to see and do, but it has many quiet out of the way areas, and its beaches and mountains are as stunning as those on other islands--within a thirty minute drive of Waikiki! And Honolulu is a GREAT city. So Scott, you can do as much or as little as youi like anywhere in Hawaii, and you'll get a wide variety of opinions because of that, on "what it is like to visit there."
ALOHA!!
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all who responded.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:17 AM

Just found a great deal. . . free Hawaii or Las Vegas Vacations with FREE Airfare also WIN Cash / Hotel Rooms / Show Tickets / Dinner. It cost nothing to play. All I had to do was fill out a form and play slots, which I was going to do anyway. Made money at the slots and now I am ready to win more. The guys at http://www.insidervlv.com really give me good deals and great information.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:32 AM

I also want to second what someone said about Hawaii having the most perfect weather of basically anywhere in the world. With the exception of a couple of areas or some freak weather patterns, you're pretty much guaranteed sunny, warm, but not too hot, days and pleasant evenings.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:33 AM

I've been visitng for 30 years. Prepare yourself, you will want to go back again and again. My parnter never wants to go anywhere more than once, and on his urging we have returned to Kaua'i three times in the last three years.

Planning a trip to Hawaii is a lot of fun. Read everything you can get your hands on.

-Bill
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 07:48 AM

Oahu is fabulous because it has the magical, bustling Waikiki, but also the gorgeous, more quiet North Shore, and the amazing beaches of Lanikai and Kailua.

Maui is great for beaches and snorkeling, upscale resorts, day trips to Lanai or Molokai, and excellent restaurants.

Big Island is so diverse and unique, with such a varied landscape. Lots of local flavor, and Volcano Park is stunning.

You can't go wrong anywhere in Hawaii!