First Time in Hawaii

Jan 15th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

First Time in Hawaii

I am planning on using my almost expired FF Miles to go to Hawaii, but am not sure which Island or where to stay. It appears that there are a lot of great deals for lodging, but I have no experience with location. I can fly into Maui or the Big Island. I plan on staying about 8 or 9 days.

Does anyone have any suggestion on both where to and where not to stay?
I know it is a broad question, but at this point I am at the beginning of my search.
Jan 15th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Do some research here on Fodor's by using the search function above. There are tons of posts about Maui and the Big Island and Hawaii. Spend an hour reading them. Then come back and ask specific questions.
Jan 15th, 2009, 10:35 AM

I have to agree with Andrew.

We need much more info of your travel likes and dislikes.

Be a little more descriptive and I'm sure we can get you some useful information.

I have been traveling to Kauai almost every year since 1985 and have a file of our favs. if you'd like to have that, drop me an email and i can forward it to you.

Good luck with your plans.
Jan 15th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Aloha Willem46, it might be helpful to know what month you plan on visiting, to optimize your chance for a location with optimum likelihood of weather and milder ocean conditions.
Jan 15th, 2009, 01:26 PM

My first trip to Hawaii, I checked out a BIG pile of guidebooks from the library to try and learn about the different islands.
Jan 15th, 2009, 02:35 PM

My first time to Hawaii, I just got on the plane and went to Maui. It was wonderful. I've been hooked ever since.

Jan 15th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

I have done at least 3 hours of research and will go to the Big Island. I expect to go at the end of April until about the 10th of May. It is based on two things: Getting a flight with my FF miles before January 30 of which time my miles expire and finding a hotel on the Big Island which is convenient to the Ocean and within a hour or two driving of sites such as Pearl Heabor which is doable and locating a part of the Island where we are looking at 2 hotels or resorts. Please comment on the location and the Hotel Castle Kona Reef & Resort Quest Shores at Waikoloa

Time we are traveling is April 29th May 8th.
Jan 15th, 2009, 03:18 PM

Pearl Harbor is on a different island- Oahu, not Hawaii (The Big Island). You can probably find a day trip that flies from Hawaii to Oahu and back.
Jan 15th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I meant to delete that part, as my research indicated the same. However other sites suggestions would be appreciated.
Jan 15th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Does your flight connect through Honolulu (HNL) on Oahu on the way to the Big Island (KOA) airport

Suggest flying from mainland to HNL and continuing on to KOA airport on the way to Hawaii, and after your week's stay on the Big Island, arrange your return trip to the mainland, so that you leave on an early morning flight from KOA to HNL where you can visit Pearl Harbor in a day trip on Oahu and then fly back to the mainland in the evening. Suggest checking your luggage from KOA to mainland flight so you don't have to drive around with it while visiting Pearl Harbor on Oahu.

We have stayed at Kona Reef and it is nice however the sandy beach area is small due to the mostly lava coastline. Waikoloa is a more isolated resort area than Kona with less diverse nightlife offerings however does have larger sandy beaches that you can drive to. The Big Island is the only island with an active volcano, while Maui has many more sandy beaches to explore, both islands are great choices.
Jan 15th, 2009, 05:05 PM

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34812564
Jan 16th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. I have decided to just focus on Maui and now are looking for lodging. I prefer cottage type near the beach but not necessarily on the beach. We are looking at the area of Kaanapali. Any suggestions?
Jan 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM

I think Maui for the entire time is an EXcellent choice (that was my first trip to Hawaii as well).
Jan 16th, 2009, 04:45 PM

"Cottage-type" in Ka'anapali is going to be a condo. www.vrbo.com is where to start.

What is your daily accomodation budget? You will need to rent a car.
Jan 16th, 2009, 06:39 PM

My family and I have used this website for great deals in Maui Homeaway.com They have a great range of housing. we are heading out for our 11 time in March. The Mahana is our site time and time again. Godd Luck

Search this Thread