Search

cannon beach hotel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cannon beach hotel

Based on the suggestions of this site we are hoping to spend a night in Cannon Beach during our trip to Portland in late Dec. Research has found the following inns. Any suggestions as to which to pick:

The Hallmark
Surfsand
Inn at Cannon Beach
Schooner Cove

The Stephanie sounds wonderful but much too expensive.
Thanks
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 02:34 PM

Have stayed at the Hallmark and found it very nice. Right on the beach, great view of haystack Rock.
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 06:05 PM

We've been pleased with the Hallmark also. Nice rooms. Great location.
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 06:22 PM

We stayed at the Hallmark and found it acceptable. It's a large complex, partially set up like townhomes, and we had a room with a fireplace and our porch had a view of the ocean. While in Cannon Beach, if you are up to it, I would highly recommend a horseback ride from nearby stables that brings you out to the beach and over to the rock. That was a great time!
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 08:15 PM

The beach rides on the horses are very fun. We took the one in Gearhart a couple of summers ago. We are not horse people so the half an hour ride fit our needs very nicely!! ***kim***
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

DOes anyone know these other inns: Surfsand, inn at Cannon Beach and/or Schooner Cove.

The Hallmark sounds a bit larger than what I like but seems to be well recommended.

Thanks
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 06:14 PM

We stayed at the Surfsand Resort about 2 years ago and loved it. We had a room that looked out at Haystack Rock. The room itself was very nice...and I do tend to be picky. We were there in November during a storm and the fireplace in the room was just wonderful. We have been trying to find time to go back since we enjoyed it so much.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 10:21 AM

At this time of year, an ocean-front room would be my most important criterion; that and your budget may steer you in one direction.

SurfSand is our family's traditional Memorial Day weekend hangout. It's got a great location with nice views, a couple nice restaurant choices nearby, and an easy walk into town. It and Stephanie Inn are owned by the same people; SurfSand is promoted as the family choice of the two. I'd be surprised if rates for their ocean front rooms are significantly less than the Stephanie Inn. They may advertise partial ocean view rooms, but those are in buildings behind the ocean front ones, so the primary view is parking lot, other buildings, etc.

Hallmark is further down the beach from town than the SurfSand, maybe far enough to discourage walking, especially in the probable bad weather. It's got great views (maybe the best), and looks like a nice place, but definitely with a larger resort feel.

I believe Schooner Cove and Inn at Cannon Beach are one and the same (Schooner's Cove Inn at Cannon Beach). It's at the end of the town's four-block-long downtown core. Maybe because it's set back a little from the beach that it doesn't have quite the same feel as the other two, but in terms of accommodations, I think it's fine.

Really, I think you'd like any of these places.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Dear BEachbum
Thanks for all the specifics. The person at the Surfsand Resort described a room with a partial view, claiming "you can see up the beach" with about 1/2 the view of the oceanfront rooms. From your statement it sounds like this is to be polite, an exaggeration. The full view rooms at the Surfsand, the Hallmark and the Inn at cannon Beach are all just about the same price.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 07:08 AM

If view is most important, Hallmark looks directly out to Haystack Rock. If it's proximity to town, choose Inn at Cannon Beach. SurfSand is about half-way between the two.

In any case, one of our favorite shops is the glass blower's across the main drag from the Surfsand.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 09:03 AM
cd

I cannot remember the name of our hotel, but it sounds like it was the Hallmark. We had a room in front of Haystack Rock that had a fireplace. The view and the fireplace was what made it so wonderful. Walking out to Haystack Rock when the tides out is awesome, you can see so many little sea creatures on the rocks.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 09:28 AM

The Waves/The Argonauta Inn/White Heron Lodge.

Try any one of the above.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 10:04 AM

I have to tell you, that my favorite place by far on the Oregon Coast is St. Bernard's. http://www.st-bernards.com/

It is beautiful, comfortable, the hosts are so friendly and accomodating, they offer wonderful suggestions for dinner and activities. They put on a lavish spread for breakfast and a nice cocktail hour.

I've been there 3 times (always the Tapestry room, but I'd love to try some of the others as well.).

They are just a few miles south of Cannon beach (between Cannon Beach and Manzanita).

If you stay there, you won't regret it.