Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can you find out recent offerings from TKTS?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a site you can check out the recent offerings at the TKTS outlets? I've been googling but can
t find anything.
I realize every day is different but maybe to get an idea of what has been available.

Thanks.

Karen
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 08:42 AM

https://www.tdf.org/nyc/81/TKTS-Live
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 08:44 AM

Why waste vacation time standing online at the TKTS booth?

If you go to broadwaybox.com you can see which shows are discounting and order discounted tickets in advance from the official retailer with the BB discount codes.

Gives you a better choice of ticket prices/seats as well, esp if you want several seats together.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 09:37 AM

You can also join the free Playbill Club at www.Playbill.com and take advantage of discounts there. If you scroll down the left column on the Playbill site under Features and click on Broadway Grosses, you'll see the shows with lower occupancy that will want to fill seats and are likely to offer discounts.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 09:41 AM

There's also a TKTS app that gives you real-time information if you have a smartphone.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies. Are the cheapest tickets from the TKTS booths?

By the way,I am not wasting vacation time when I go to TKTS. I am only 2 1/2 hours away and son lives way, way up in Manhattan, almost the Bronx, walking distance to the Cloisters. I stay overnight.

Planning on going tomorrow, maybe try for Wed txs so have the 2pm and 8pm shows to choose from. I go late so usually no long lines.

Husband bought me an android smartphone for Christmas, we haven't set it up yet, but will do tonight then get the TKTS app.

Thanks again!

Karen
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 01:12 PM

I thought this website gave you info on what was selling there and for how much recently http://www.nytix.com/Broadway/Discou...rical-data.php
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 01:24 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
What Doug said.
Load the app on your phone and see what's offered daily. That will give you a good idea of the chances you'll have that the show(s) you're interested in will show up at TKTS.

Watch the discount offered. If you can find a similar discount via Broadwaybox and/or Playbill, it doesn't make sense to wait in line at the TKTS booth. That depends on show and discount offered. It's definitely not worth my time for a 10% difference.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 01:31 PM

Remember, at the TKTS location in Times Square, there are two lines. One is for musicals; the one along the west side of the booth is for plays only. I have found that the line for plays is always much shorter and faster.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 03:29 PM

Yes, the line for plays is often "walk right up", not a line at all.

Advance discounts are good, and if you print them out you can go to the theatre on day of performance and avoid all fees that you'd pay pre booking online (at least $10 a ticket). But honestly they are more likely to be 30% than the more common 50% at TKTS.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 05:46 PM

The discount offered at the TKTS booth varies by show and often day of the week for the same show. 50% discount is great. 30% and 40% off may come closer to Broadwaybox and Playbill discounts. If so, I don't stand in line for the same discount - or even within 10%. I miss the booth at the World Trade Towers. Inside wait with a/c and/or heat.

Here are the discounts from last week -
http://www.nytix.com/Broadway/Discou...rical-data.php
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 06:54 PM

Well, to be honest, even if the full line looks incredibly long, the "play only" line is by far the slowest moving line in the entire world, so it doesn't always save you much time.

TKTS isn't the only source for cheap tickets, but there are more 50% discounts there than anywhere else, but you can almost always get those same seats by buying at the box office and using a discount code.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 10:36 AM

Wow, Doug, I've never experienced a wait of more than maybe 5 minutes if even that in the "play" line. And it always seems to go much quicker than the musical line. I guess I've just always been lucky? Oh, and I kind of hate to admit this, but one time when I got up there and asked about the one play I wanted to see, the seats available really were way in the very back so I said no. The woman asked if there was anything else and I said, well, the other possibilities are musicals -- she asked which, I told her, and she sold me a ticket for one even though I was in the play line. In fact that was half price for Newsies and she gave me a 5th row center orchestra seat. Not that I'm suggesting you should try that.
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Starrs and Christina, that is what I was looking for.

I checked all the suggested sites and somewhere during my searches came upon info on RUSH tickets. These are discounted tickets, $20 to $40, sold when box office opens (line starts forming earlier, for that days shows.Got to An American In Paris theater 9:35, 6 people in line, got a RUSH ticket for 2 pm performance for $37. I asked how many tickets generally available for RUSH, she said about 28 for each performance.
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Starrs and Christina, that is what I was looking for.

I checked all the suggested sites and somewhere during my searching came upon info on RUSH tickets. These are discounted tickets, $20 to $40, sold when box office opens (line starts forming earlier) for that days shows, cash only. Got to An American In Paris theater 9:35, 6 people in line, got a RUSH ticket for 2 pm performance for $37. I asked how many tickets generally available for RUSH, she said about 28 for each performance.

Headed to the Lyceum theater where there was 1 person on line, and got a RUSH ticket for the 8pm performance for $20.

So, I got 2 tickets for less than I have ever paid for 1 ticket at the TKTS booth!!!

Seats for An American In Paris were up on top floor, they should have dispensed med for altitude sickness, lol. Good view but not great for watching the dancing. At intermission most of us moved down one flight and it was better, many sections with rows of empty seats. Really enjoyed the show. These actors are amazing, they can sing, tap, do ballet, look great; life is not fair, I'd be happy with just one of those lol.

A View From The Bridge seats were 3rd row way over to the left side. Bleacher seats on both sides of stage I guess because theater is so small they need more seats somewhere.
I had left my glasses at son's apt so couldn't read the Playbill but kept thinking the wife, Beatrice Carbone, looked just like Nicola Walker who I love in Last Tango In Halifax. When I got home and looked, sure enough, it was her. The production came from London, so that explained to me why I thought the accents were a bit strange for Italian American New Yorkers. They were English actors speaking with NY accents! They did a great job, the acting was very good, but I'm still not sure how I feel about the play. Read a synopsis beforehand but otherwise was not familiar with the story. However, 2 days later I am still thinking about it, much more than the other show.

When I left the theater I passed the audience getting out of Finding Neverland. The vibe was excited, everyone chatting and smiling, so I asked a woman how she liked it. She said the music was great. I popped in to ask the ticket agent if they had RUSH tickets for this show, he said yes, $37.50, come a little earlier before box office opens. Looks like son can expect another visit soon from mama!

So, I had a wonderful day that started out auspiciously. I get discounted senior tickets from the subway ticket agent and that morning the woman asked me if I had proof of age. No one had before, I am going to be 70 next month! She must have left her glasses home too, hahaha.

Karen
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 07:17 AM

Glad it was helpful.

I love Broadway weeks in NYC. I plan months ahead of time and keep track of the TKTS sales history to help me decide what to buy ahead of time and what to take a risk on. I watch the BroadwayBox discounts for months in advance so by the time the new months are added, I'm pretty sure what will be available. I usually buy a couple of full priced shows months in advance, as soon as my dates are confirmed, a couple of shows discounted on BroadwayBox as soon as those dates are offered and then have a short list of shows that are of interest TBD after arrival. If the BroadwayBox or Playbill discount is within 10%, I don't bother standing in line. Doug is right that you can take the discount code directly to the box office window - but that doesn't help unless you are there. I've tried the lottery (without luck) but will try RUSH. As I remember (and I could remember incorrectly) RENT started offering RUSH tickets in order for students on limited budgets have a chance to see the show. I have never tried for RUSH tickets. Maybe next time. Thanks for sharing your success.
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 10:18 PM

Ok dumb question. We will be there in June. What are RUSH tickets and how do you get them and also how do you get discount codes for shows ?
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 11:19 AM

For discount codes:
Go to Playbill.com and sign up (or possibly with recent changes you don't even need to register or sign up). Click discounts and you'll see shows that have them and it will even let you "click here" and get tickets with the discount already applied.

Or go to broadwaybox.com or theatremania.com

Their discounts are pretty much the same but sometimes have some other shows besides Playbill. Again, it will direct you to either Ticketmaster or Telecharge -- the official ticket sellers for all shows -- depending on which theatre it's playing in.

All those codes are good for advance sales -- but June tickets won't be listed or available at discount until about late April or even May. And once you get the code -- you can book online in advance, but expect to pay $10 to $12 per ticket in fees. If you print the code offer and take it to the actual theatre when you get to the city, there will be no fees added -- but of course, by then there will be fewer seats available than if you get them in advance.

Sorry, I can't help you with rush -- never do it, as I like to KNOW I'm getting a ticket when I get to the city.
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 04:16 PM

Thanks NeoPatrick. Very helpful. I did sign up on Playbill.

We may go ahead and buy tickets for one show we all agree on ( I think The King and I was the winner.) and then try our luck in April /May for a second choice. Has anyone seen Humans? Is it teenager friendly? I'd love to see a play and a musical. Our kids have never seen a play and I think it's an entirely different experience.