Search

Buying show tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 08:15 PM
mjg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying show tickets

I'm starting to plan a trip to NYC and of course plan to see some broadway shows. Anyone know of a good place to buy tickets? I've been searching out various websites but they don't tell you where the seats are. Any suggestions? I'm kind of a neophyte at this and would love some advice.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 04:13 AM

Use Playbill.com to see what's on and read some reviews. If you register for free there, you'll see some discount codes for certain shows that will give you 20-40% discount. Playbill also has a link to the seating chart to most theaters. For the ones they don't have, do a google search (name of theater AND seating chart)

Broadwaybox.com also has listings of discount codes. When you've decided which shows you want, you can either phone for tickets (you get to speak to a live person who will tell you where the seats are. If you have the seating chart in front of you, you know exactly where). You can also buy online either with or without the discount codes at ticketmaster.com or telecharge.com depending on the show. Just beware that if you do it online, we've all discovered that if you ask for "best available" seats, they don't always seem to offer those first. You generally have a certain amount of time to decide if you want the tickets they're offering. If you say no they show you different seats (if they're available). Often the 2nd or 3rd offers are better.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 05:27 AM

Mclaurie is right, and another one is TheatreMania.com, which lately seems to have even more shows available. But one hint, I've ended up calling to get the tickets using those codes there. Ticketmaster and Telecharge are really good about taking the time to help find you the best seats, especially if you've taken time to print out the seating chart from Playbill.com first (go the very bottom of the left column to find the seating charts). I find trying to re-enter over and over dates and choices for "best available" on the internet leaves me frustrated and without the "best" seats at all. The option for calling is listed in the "ad" for the discount for each show.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 10:01 AM
mjg
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. Just bought tickets for Avenue Q and Spamalot - very excited! Had much better luck calling the tickets services than trying to do it online. And the tip about getting seating charts before calling was great! Thanks to both of you.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 11:11 AM

I'm a bit confused though, mjg. Did you use a discount code when you called and get them at a discount?
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 01:40 PM

Patrick, the OP never said he/she wanted discount tickets. To answer your question, I don't believe discounts are available for either of the two shows mentioned.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 01:51 PM

Right you are Howard. I had noticed the other day that Broadway Box listed Avenue Q in their list of shows with discount codes. But when I go to it, it simply says all the discount codes for Avenue Q have expired. (I'd think they should take it off their discount list then.)

Yes, I realized mjg didn't ask about discounts, but since both mclaurie and I explained how to get them, I was assuming she might have tried. Guess not though, since neither show is currently discounted.