can I visit Anaheim without a car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My huband and I are taking my elderly parents to SF LA and LV in June.
We are from Lancashire in England.

I would much prefer to go on trips rather than drive and was wondering how I get from Los Angeles airport to Anaheim (and back again ,of course)?
I believe that public transport is not good. Would I definitely need a car?
We have driven in Florida (been 8 times)and found it is a since compared to our ridiculous roads, but not to sure about LA -or have I just seen too many movies?
Would be grateful for any help.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:44 AM

If you are doing Disney, if you stayed on property you probably would not need a car, you can take a shuttle or a cab (not inexpensive by the way), but if you wanted to see anything in the area, you would have to have a car.

EVERYONE drives in LA, it's not like other cities that are walking cities, LA is so spread out, that a car is really mandatory.

Have a great trip.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:50 AM

You can easily do Anaheim without a car as there is airport limo transportation between LAX and all the major Anaheim hotels. There are also shuttle buses available to Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm as well as places like South Coast Plaza for some major shopping. Other tours would be available around LA, San Diego and the rest of Orange County.

That said, I would personally opt for a car. I find the Anaheim area very unappealing and you would be limited to the immediate area around your hotel for dining. A car would give you a much larger variety of choices to make for sightseeing, shopping and dining at your leisure. Driving in Southern California using the freeways is not that bad if you can manage to avoid peak traffic hours and even if you can't I would still get a car. Have a great trip.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
OK from previous posts, you can get from the airport to Disneyland and back without a car. But if you want to do any siteseeing in So. Calif. (wouldn't you like to take a drive to the beach?) then a car is best.

I do not think driving in the L.A. area is that bad, my personal opinion and generally speaking California drivers are good ones, since they do it so much (as mentioned "nobody walks in LA" is more than just an old pop song!).

Even the freeways at rush hour I don't think are that terrible to drive, because there's such a big traffic jam, speeds are reduced!

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 02:29 PM

www.airportbus.com

However, if you are visiting California and planning on staying in a hotel near the airport area, I would advise that it's not a good area at all to stay in without a car.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 06:18 PM

julie - trust me - if you can manage the M6 around Manchester you will have absolutely no problems driving in LA or Orange county.

Most of the hotels/motels around Disney don't charge for parking and you would not need to touch the car on the day(s) you visit Disneyland/California Adventure/Downtown Disney. On the other days there are easy routes to get you to the beaches/LA etc . . . . .
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:53 PM

Julie,
LA and Anaheim are not like any other major cities. If you do not have a car your choice are incredibly limited. Public transportation is a joke.
Rent a car from LAX. Tip, "use the carpool lane."
Have a bloody good time!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 09:48 AM
MaureenB

Unfortunately, you will need a car in L.A. to see anything other than your hotel and Disneyland. Cabs would get prohibitively expensive in the slow-moving traffic. Or contact hotels for their airport shuttle services.
I, too, would suggest you stay somewhere other than Anaheim, especially with elderly parents who might tire of the Disneyland/kiddie scene. The Westin at Century City is a great location for sightseeing, and has excellent service with good prices. (About $190 for a weekend rate with full breakfast included.) The concierge there will give you printouts with directions to the main attractions in L.A.
I recommend you visit the UCLA/Westwood/BelAir/Beverly Hills area to see 'glamorous' L.A. Drive Sunset Boulevard for the experience, go up to Malibu, too. Maybe drive into one of the canyons, etc. Lots to do depending on your preference.
We found the freeways to be crowded 24/7, some times worse than others, but hard to find a time that wasn't jammed. The drivers there are very good and are used to the congestion. My advice is the same as for New York sidewalks-- if you hesitate, you lose! Merging into freeways is a challenge, for example.

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Dear all

Thank you so much for your replies.
I think it would be best to hire a car judging my the majority of your responses.

I will post a trip report when we return.

My step-dad does not know where he is going. We are keeping it secret, although my mother does know.
The suspense is driving him nuts, but only adds to our glee.
We took them to Florida 2 years ago and he was not at all looking forward to going - but ended up loving it - especially the teppanyaki restaurant.

I am sure he will love this too - particularly looking round the hotels in vegas - and his first trip in a helicopter to the grand canyon.
I love America.
(We did investigate the poosiblity of moving there - but the US makes it difficult for us Brits despite how many degrees etc you have). We will just frequent visitors instead.

Thanks again.

Julie
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Julie1: We are polar opposites -- I'm a Californian who spends most of my holidays in the UK while most of my British friends spend all their's over here. I was fortunate enough to live in the UK for 5 years back in the 70's and would move back there in a heartbeat if the UK gov't didn't make it so darn difficult . . . .