LA to Anaheim distance and suggestions

Feb 7th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

LA to Anaheim distance and suggestions

My wife and I are visiting LA the week of July 4th. We have a potential timeshare offered to us in Anaheim. We have no interest in Disneyland but would like to take advantage of the timeshare if feasable. We would like to see all the regular sights in LA, catch a taping, hollywood blvd Beverly hills etc. The only thing in Aneheim we do want to see is Universal Studios. My questions are the following:
Is it feasable to use Anaheim as a base for our trip?
If not where isthe best place to use as a base? reviewing other posts it seems to stay in Malibu and travel into LA is what is recommended. Is this right? Would we need a car to do so?
Is there other means of transportation besides a car for most of these sites?
We were thinking of using public transportation for most and just rent a car as needed for things where there is no public transportation. Is this a good idea?
Is there a place where we can get a map of the public transportation routes to help us plan our trip?
Is there any special events planned on the 4th in LA or surrounding areas for the holiday?
Thanks in advance for your help. It is well appreciated.

Feb 7th, 2006, 04:55 AM

I think you would be driving back and forth way too much for a vacation. For instance, Universal Studios is like 30 miles from Anaheim (it is in Hollywood). 30 miles in LA can easily become 90 minutes.
Feb 7th, 2006, 05:02 AM

DPao

Universal is about an hour from Anaheim, depending on time of day and traffic. Anaheim is probably not the best base to have to explore Hollywood area, especially if you want to rely on transportation other than a car.

If you want to use Anaheim anyway, nearby is Knott's Berry Farm (more thrill rides than Disney); Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum; Medieval Times; Raging Waters in San Dimas. There is good shopping in Orange County (South Coast Plaza for one). The beach is about 30-45 minutes away at Laguna or Newport where there is a pier/boardwalk.

In other words, you can find stuff to do in Orange County, but it is not the Hollywood experience.
Feb 7th, 2006, 06:34 AM

A few of comments . . .

- What you want to do is for all practical purposes impossible by public transport.

- As already mentioned, Universal Studios is nowhere near Anaheim.

- As nice as it may seem to have a free timeshare for a week - it makse no sense to stay there if you aren't interested in Anaheim.

- Malibu is wonderful - but if you decide to stay there you'll need to have a car.
Feb 7th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice -all very sound it looks like Anaheim would not be a good choice even for the savings. Sorry to keep pestering you all with questions, but what about staying at laguna beach or newport do -as these might be possiblities for a free timeshare as well? Would we still be able to get the "Hollywood experience" as canterbury so cleverly put it? I am assuming that we would have to rent a car to do so. How much of a drive should I expect?
Feb 7th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

please ignore the word do after newport as it somehow slipped into the post and makes no sense
Feb 7th, 2006, 07:30 AM

Visitors really have little concept of the vastness of Los Angeles and Orange Counties.

I love Laguna Beach. I happen to love Newport as well (especially Corona del Mar). Newport is 52 miles from Universal City (the actual city in which one finds Universal Studios Hollywood). Laguna is 59 miles.

It sounds like you're stabbing wildly at a map of southern California and naming any city you can find. Anaheim, Newport, Laguna-- they're ALL in Orange County. They're NOT in Los Angeles. And if you want to see the typical touristy "LA" things, you really should stay in Los Angeles County.

Take a deep breath and start looking at hotels in these areas: Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, West Los Angeles, Santa Monica, and (yes!) Hollywood. And start getting used to the idea that you will NEED a car.

Malibu is lovely, but it's pretty isolated-- almost 40 miles from Universal City. And your lodging choices are quite limited (Malibu is a wealthy people's playground).
Feb 7th, 2006, 08:47 AM

If you're arriving on the weekend when traffic is easier to navigate, I would get a hotel up near Universal for one night. See Universal that afternoon and evening and spend the 2nd day touring around Hollywood and Beverly Hills. Then head for your time share in Laguna or Anaheim...yes you'll need a car down there.
Or you could also do the end of your trip up near Universal/Hollywood instead of the beginning.
Feb 10th, 2006, 02:11 AM

If you rent a car, and want to save money on hotels, Anaheim is feasible if you are concentrating on downtown, Universal, and Hollywood There is a freeway ("the" 5) that is nearly a direct route to downtown, and then "the 101" gets you toward Hollywood. Staying nearby would be better, obviously. Newport or Laguna are farther, but nicer. And traffic commuting into town will be much lighter on the holiday (and probably on the Monday prior also). Except near the beach if the weather is nice.