Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can anyone reccomend a NICE resort on Lake Michigan?

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking to take a ride up to Lake Michigan and want to stay at a clean and newer resort on lake Michigan.

I've done a lot of searches and haven't come up with any new hotels/resorts.

We aren't too picky on the location of Lake Michigan, but we do want to be somewhere that has a lot of sandy beaches for my daughter.

Thanks sincerely,

Susan
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 05:38 AM

Sometimes older/established places are best....
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Are you looking for accomodation on the Michigan or Wisconsin side of the lake?
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Oh sorry...I am looking for accomodations in Michigan!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:56 AM
JJ5

There just was a long thread on this exact topic. If you search Michigan coast resort you may find it.

BUT- it was surmised that if you are thinking of large resort right on the beach etc. types of places that would be comparable to ocean/ other shores etc. elsewhere- well, that isn't Lake Michigan in Michigan. It has been keep in great stretches either for personal or undeveloped/ town/ general public usage and not so much zoned for large resorts. There are a handful of places that have started that minor change/trend, but against great opposition as well in several.

Sorry for the long explanation.

Not being picky means different things to me than it does to most Fodor posters. Up North? Near the Harbor Country, in the midst of Saugatuck, Holland, Muskegon, or more toward the Traverse City area? All of these are lighthouse country.

Or in heavy sand dune region: Mears, Sleeping Bear, Silver Lake Sand Dune area. In almost all of these the hotels are way back from the humongous beaches. Mears has one, hotel/not resort with playground and all kinds of family venues. This area is near to massive family, Scout camps, woods, creeks and is definitely not high end- but a nature experience.

For more congenial and higher style of amenities, I can personally vouche for several different B&B type places in or near South Haven- much closer to IN end. New is not the operative word. Most are classic or Victorian types built for the rich from Chicago during the early 1900's. Both that I have stayed at have been turned over, so I don't know the newer names.

There is a family spot that is FULL of kids and a resort, but not in the sense of restaurants etc. You have a complex of your own (some have kitchens), beach, pool, and lots of higher end places to eat quite near called Sleepy Hollow Resort. It's very near to South Haven, MI. My girlfriend has extended family of about 30 there the entire 2nd week of June each year. This one has its own great beach.

But if you google MI B&B or MI Resort you will gets tons of these places in areas all the way from Union Pier up to and past Traverse City. Just not in the sense of "new" resort.

Sorry for the length, but I'm not good at the context of "resort" and newer for Michigan.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:18 AM

We like the Beach Condominiums in Traverse City. Not new, but recently refurbished. One bedroom condos with full kitchen, washer & dryer, big bathrooms with jacuzzi tub, etc.. These condos are all right on Grand Traverse Bay. Very nice beach area for your daughter. There is an outdoor pool and hot tub as well.

We've been going here for years. Traverse City is a great area with lots of good restaurants and shopping. Close to Sleeping Bear Dunes, etc.

This is not a resort, however. Do a Google for Beach Condominums Traverse City to take a look.

Have fun!
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:03 AM

If you are willing to drive farther, I can definitely recommend the Inn at Bay Harbor near Petoskey MI. We are just back and loved it. It is a newer resort built to look old like the Grand Hotel. It has a small man-made sandy beach at the resort, but you are only minutes from the State Park that apparently has awesome beach. Close to great shopping, many restaurants, golf courses, etc. Resort has a spa. We stayed in Lakeside Cottages on property and loved it. Good luck.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:14 AM

I stayed in New Buffalo in July. It was a nice little town. Here is a link:
http://www.newbuffalo.com/

I think there may be info on hotels on the site as well.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:23 AM

Hi Susan,

If what you want is sandy beaches, please try a vrbo.com rental. There are many very beautiful homes for rent all along the west Michigan shoreline - some even with private beaches. Areas to consider are Saugatuck, Grand Haven, Holland, Pentwater, Ludington, Traverse area (including Leland, Sleeping Bear Dunes area), Petoskey and
Charlevoix.

What kind of town are you looking to be close to? Something with lots of restaurants, shopping, or don't you care? That will obviously make a difference, as some of these beach towns are a little more touristy than others.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am going to check them all out now.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:55 PM

By far, we loved the Homestead Resort in Glen Arbor, MI...it is so perfect for families, and right on Lake Michigan, with two big pools and waterslide, restaurants etc. Let me know if you need more info. We have stayed here four times now and love the place!!
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 08:26 AM

I'm surprised it took so many posts for someone to mention The Homestead. Its a beautiful mid to upscale resort on the lake in the middle of the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. There are huge stretches of sandy beaches that you can have all to yourself in the vicinity. You are only 45 minutes or so from Traverse City with its generous selection of restaurants and shopping.

We loved it and will return...
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 08:36 AM
JJ5

I myself will pass the name along. Being that far North, I had never heard of it. I went to the Homestead Resort web page and it looks like a good combination of lodgings and activities.

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 05:45 PM

You will love the Homestead Resort if you go.