West Coast and UP Michigan Spots, Lodging

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
West Coast and UP Michigan Spots, Lodging

My husband and I are taking his mother (celebrating 84th bday) on the Express Ferry with a car for 2 nights. His thought was to drive up to Petoskey and stay overnight, then up to northern UP, and home to Milwaukee. He loves to drive but I feel that maybe we should first stop in Leland, Suttons Bay or Traverse City overnight, lunch in Petoskey or Harbor Springs, last night in Munising so we could do the Pictured Rocks boat tour and then head home. Based on these ideas, what would you suggest for sites, wineries, etc. at a pace for an 84 year old in good health and shape. I would like something quaint for lodging or with a water view. Thanks!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 09:20 AM
iceeu2

wow, kacollier...i was just now searching for the same place, Munising.

And, I found the Holiday Inn Express-Lakeview. Looks like a great place for overnight. And, I also found Sunset Motel on the Bay that appeals to me. Found them both reading reviews on tripadvisor.com

Have you ever done the Pictured Rocks boat tour and do you have a website for it?

Are you talking about the ferry that comes into Ludington?

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:33 AM

kacollier,

How close to the water to you want to be? In Traverse City you will have a better selection of accommodations as well as restaurants. There are wineries near/between all three of those locations. A favorite is BlackStar Farms between Leland and Suttons Bay.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 12:30 PM

From Harbor Springs, be sure to take M-119 along the tunnel of tress on the cliff overlooking Lake Michigan, up to Cross Village.

Consider visiting Just A Plain Farm on the way into Carp Lake for apples, maple syrup, pumpkins and gourds and the lot. http://www.justaplainfarm.com/

Keith
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi...I did a search for Pictured Rocks and there is a Munising Chamber of Commerce or traveler's site that came up with the cruises. It didn't show a price but in fall there are still 3 cruises per day. Also, looks like we are heading to Petoskey first -- has anyone stayed at the Appletree Inn and where is it located compared to the City proper? Many of the properties I am considering were already booked.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:38 AM

Kacollier - here's a recent post comparing the Appletree with the Perry hotel in Petoskey...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 04:41 PM

Hi there, not positive but I think the Appletree is about 1-2 miles out of downtown up the hill on US-131. And, I think you can see the water from there. Also, there is a nice Hampton Inn right there too.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 05:11 PM

Here is a link to a place I would love to visit the next chance I get to go "up north" in our beautiful state.
http://www.chateauchantal.com/index.htm