Lake Michigan/Superior Resort towns, summer, with teens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in the Chicago area and are looking for some place, driving distance (6-7 hours or less).

My daughter wants to go on a trip with two or three friends for their high school graduation, in early June.
My husband and I will be along, so ... well, so there are a couple of experienced adults around!

My daughter and one friend want to camp, but the other two aren't crazy about that.
I was thinking a resort town in Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota... Husband and I have been to Door County, but it's kind of slow there.
I've heard good things about Traverse City, but have never been.
Basically, it would be a long weekend to a week, tops, and there need to be things to keep a few 18-yr old girls entertained - but legal!
These girls grew up swimming in Lake Michigan, so early June weather in the Great Lakes area will not be a deterrent.

Wisconsin Dells is out. They've all been, and they want something different.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I can't seem to find much on the internet...
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 01:44 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You are right to consider Traverse City, lots to do there.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 03:44 PM

As I read your post I was thinking Wisconsin Dells. Traverse City would be great. Lot to do for them and for you. Maybe a side trip to Mackinaw.

Saugatuck may also be an option. You may be able to rent a house. It would be more economical than hotels in the area for that many people.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 04:19 PM

Traverse City is the best bet along the Michigan side of Lake Michigan. Saugatuck is a little easier to reach but I think TC is a better fit for high school grads.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 08:30 PM

Traverse City and the area around Traverse City would be a good place for you. I also like Charlevoix and Harbor Springs, which are both above Traverse City. There are some wonderful towns on the North Shore of Lake Superior also but it is a much longer distance from Chicago.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 05:06 AM

Hi, it's about a 6 hour drive from Chicago to Minneapolis, and another 3 1/2 hours from Minneapolis to Duluth. Well past your 6-7 hour drive limit to get to Lake Superior.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses! Sounds like Traverse City is worth looking into...

My husband also suggested Lake Geneva, which is only an hour away from us. It's been many years since I've gone up to LG, but I don't remember it being too exciting if you're under 40, ... I could be wrong.

ziggypop, it's actually only 6 -7 hours to Duluth from where I am (I'm northwest of Chicago, closer to WI border). I have good friend in Duluth and I've made the drive a couple of times. But you're right, anything beyond Duluth would be pushing the half-day drive... There are some lake resorts throughout MN though, from what I understand, not sure if they're geared toward families or just fishermen..

We're really looking to do a long weekend and not a full week, just some time for the girls to decompress from their last semester of high school and get some rest and relaxation before they start summer jobs, etc.

I think I will look closely at Traverse City and Saugatuck, thanks again!