California for PR-residents

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am from Puerto Rico, which is an island in the Caribbean. I'm used to very warm tepms the lowest I've felt is like low 80's. I'm going to California this next December, also planning to jump to Las Vegas for 2 or 3 nights. I already posted a message on the weather in San Fransisco, but I don't know what to expect in LA or Las Vegas. Before going to CA we're making a 4-day stop @ NYC so we're getting really warm coats, will we need them in CA? Does it rain a lot? Is the driving too bad? (driving from LA-LVegas-SF-LA). I need all the advice you can give because we know nothing about anything in CA. Thanks.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 10:29 AM
hotandsweaty

hi and welcome i love puerto rico- we went for the first time this spring and we can't wait to go back-
okay so here is the thing- it is waaay colder here than anything you have experienced in puerto rico. especially in december.
you know how it can be rainy and unpleasant at el yunque? well, imagine that with the air conditioning on too high and that is san francisco in december. it is *possible* for it to be sunny, but you will need a warm medium weight coat (not as heavy as for new york, but it can be the same coat, just don't zip/button it up), pants as thick as jeans all the time and shirts with sleeves and sweater made of wool.
the weather in san francisco can change thorughout the day, so we dress in layers, we wear a t-shirt and then a long sleeved shirt and carry a sweater and then in december we have a jacket and an umbrella! LOL
i don't know if you are male or female- but female- no open toed pretty puerto rico hoes with too big heels. there's lots of hills and walking and you need something sturdy (ugly!). those shoes are ok for going out and you said you were going to las vegas, so they are good for that, too, but go to the macys in the mall and get fully enclosed shoes- you'll especially need them when it is raining and the cold water runs into your feet on the streets!
as for driving, there will not be snow or anything (or at least there should not be, but you can check the weather the closer you get), it's just a long trip- like longer than driving around the whole island- twice. and not as interesting.
what else- your friends in new york will help you with the right clothes. it's not as cold as it is there, but it's cold.
oh, and lastly, los angeles will be your favorite place because it will be the warmest, closest to miami weather, possible 80's but more likely 70's.
and the cities here are BIG.

have fun!

Old Sep 27th, 2003, 10:40 AM

My son who was living in PR brought home a friend last Dec. for a Holiday visit. We are from Philly. She was so cold, she just shivered the entire time. There was not warming this poor girl up so matter how hard we tried. Originally I am from San Diego. By the way we have visited PR several times we love the Island. Hot and Sweaty offers good advice. LA will be the warmest. LV can be very chilly in Dec. especially the pm.'s Layering is the secret. No open toed shoes, maybe a pair or 2 for p.m. wear, in LV. Good walking shoes a must. Bring light weight jackets for p.m. wear and sweaters. NY well, will be cold and you will need something heavy for there. Enjoy. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 01:32 PM

Welcome to the mainland! I used to live in PR myself (Bayamón), so I understand where you're coming from. Well, it's time to experience more variety in the weather!

CA is in the North Pacific, so we get specific hot and cool seasons. It will be a LOT warmer than in NYC, but evening lows can dip into the 40s (or even high 30s during a cold snap). Daily highs will get into the 60s. San Francisco may be a little cooler, but SO WHAT?! It's a great town. Bundle up and enjoy the millions of things to do.

LA will be warmer than SF, and probably warmer than LV (just because it's in the desert doesn't make it warm year-round). There are also millions of things to do in these cities, so you really can't go wrong. Have fun on your trip!
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your help!
Actually I am a girl, so great advice on the no open toed shoes. I have a pair of boots, should I use them to SF? Or will I hate them after walking up and down the hills? I just started my research on the activities in SF, so if you could give me some advice...
This is a short road trip, so we'll be 3 days max in each city, maybe 4 in LA, just so that you know the time I count with. I have a pretty good idea of what to expect from LA, anything else you can add up to SF and LV will be great.

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 07:47 AM

The previous poster is calling San José a "key" destination on the way from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Although SJ is a large city, and its Tech Museum (despite its ugly building) is absolutely wonderful, it is not a key tourist destination. It's houses and corporate parks and a rather unattractive downtown-- not a lot to see, really. On a longer trip to just SF, it can be a worthy day trip to the Tech Museum and Santana Row (shopping center). On this trip, spend all three days in SF and make the drive down to LA all-coastal (SJ is well inland). Much nicer.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 08:47 AM

rjw: Fodors is getting WAAAY too fast at catching the multiple poster! LOL! He's gone again! Here today, gone tomorrow! Except that he got in at about 11:20p Pacific Time last night and by this morning, 8am, he's gone! gone! gone! Thank you again, Fodors!

f_sevillana, to get back to your questions: if you are planning to walk in SF, then wear sturdy walking shoes. You will suffer if you wear high heels, flipflops, boots or anything that is not designed for walking.

You should layer your clothing - like a blouse with a sweater/sweat shirt, then a warm jacket/coat. It could get very hot and then very cold all in the same day, so be prepared. Just as hotandsweaty and the other posters have described.

As for what to do and see in LV and SF, just try the search engine in Fodors and you will come upon a ton of information. If you still have questions, please come back and ask.

Other than the multiple poster, the rest of us are mostly amateur travellers giving out honest opinions, a lot of it based on personal experience.

Welcome to California!
Jason
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 09:44 AM

Layering is going to be your key to what to wear. Not only is it warmer, it allows you to adjust to the various temperatures you'll most likely pass through.

New York will be the coldest. SF is cold, yes, but layers will keep you comfortable. If the boots you have in mind have flat heels, they might work. Otherwise, it's best to leave them behind and get a good pair of walking shoes.

LA can really vary in December. There have been times when its cold and rainy, warm and pleasant, or the Santa Ana winds could blowing in very warm, dry days. Again, layering is the key.

The really warm coats that you get in NYC will most likely be welcome in CA. The natives here will most likely be wearing lighter jackets/coats, but some one from a climate that rarely reaches below 80 will need them.

Welcome and have fun!
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 09:46 AM

Hola Miz Sevillana.

You are getting some pretty good advice here. I think the cold has been pretty well covered. I would also suggest that when you are in NYC that you get a nice warm hat and a scarf. That will help to keep the cold out of your clothes.

December in San Francisco is sometimes rainy, but more annoyingly it tends to be very, very windy. Whatever jacket you get, make sure that it's something that will protect you from wind as well as cold. My point, don't just buy a polar fleece.

I tend to wear boots in SF during the winter. They keep my legs warm, they're stylish, and the blocky heels tend to be good for walking.

Another thing to be aware of is that the air here is very dry in comparison, esp in Las Vegas, but even SF will be dry compared to what you are used to.

Lastly, are you really planning on driving from Las Vegas to SF? That's a really long drive!
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 10:13 AM

The boots will be good, as long as they are not really heavy and don't have a narrow heal. I would also consider buying a pair if tennis shoes or good comfortable walking shoes. You can always buy a pair once you get here if you decide you need them.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 07:50 PM

Hmmmm, I'm getting déjà vu.... Now that's a post I've definitely seen on this thread! And I still stand by my assertion that this road trip visit needs to stay coastal-- it's just more scenic and picturesque. A return trip to the Bay Area could (and probably should) include Silicon Valley-- especially the Tech Museum of Innovation (although there's irony in the celebration of technology, given the depressed economy up there)-- as a day trip.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 03:36 PM

And it's déjà vu all over again.... This post is back! Definitely saw it last night.