Search

What to Wear - LA, Vegas, and SFO.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to Wear - LA, Vegas, and SFO.

Dear Fodorites,

My girlfriend and I will be spending 4 days in Los Angeles, two days in Las Vegas and 3 days in San Francisco from January 18th until the 27th. Any recommendations as to what to wear in all 3 cities? We're not really planning on going out at night, just visiting key places and doing a bit of shopping.

Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:55 AM

Hi jmerino..just so you know SFO is the code for the San Francisco airport. The City of San Francisco is SF.

Regarding clothes for SF I would suggest that you take clothes you can layer. It will no doubt be cold (remember that SF is surronded by water on 3 sides, the Pacific Ocean and the SF Bay). Do take something waterproof as you could get rain. You don't have to worry about packing "fussy" clothes for SF., wear what will be comfortable for you in winter weather. Good walking shoes will sure help you enjoy your time. And have fun!!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice (I noticed the SFO mistake after I had posted my message; sorry!). This should be of help. Thanks again!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:14 PM

Layering will work well for LA in Jan too. It can get cool to downright cold when the sun goes down and mornings can have a damp chill in Jan, but sometimes by mid morning it is sunny and in the 70's. And I've been in Vegas when it was snowing in Jan. It is rare, but it does happen!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:28 PM

Just reinforcing the advice for layers with the outer layer being waterproof/windproof. Hopefully the weather will be sunny (or at least not rainy) while you are here, but rain is a distict possibility.

For sightseeing activities, I would plan several indoor and outdoor things that you want to do and then decide when to do which activities based on the weather that day. Our storms generally come in waves so it may be really rainy one day and sunny the next.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:49 PM

Depending on where you are from, Vegas can be cool. I think a very light jacket is fine, but I've seen locals wearing heavy ski parkas.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:40 PM

I would pack something like nice t-shirts (cotton feels good on the body), sweater(s) and a windbreaker with a hood or had an umbrella with me. Make sure your shoes are water-proof. Also if you feel cold, maybe some underpants.

Don't wear just one pair of shoes (or sneakers) to avoid blisters.

Don't bother to bring anything formal, think changing weather - anything from rain, cold wind to sun (may be warm in Los Angeles).

And of course a paid-off credit card for shopping
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:45 PM

For Vegas you can get away with jeans/pants and a long sleeved tee or even a t-shirt during the day. At night you will need a sweater or a light jacket. It isn't too bad as long as the wind isn't blowing. The hardest one will be LA, it "can" be hot during the day and chilly at night. Last Jan. I was in Anahiem and it was 87-90!! I am thinking of going to Disneyland next week so I have been checking the 10-day forecast on weather.com So far only 66F, but that could change.