Reload this Page >

San Francisco in July

Search

San Francisco in July

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Rhyannon

San Francisco in July

Message: We'll be visiting SF July 6-10. We're looking for nice places to stay in the Union Square area and have gotten good deals at Hotel Nikko and Hilton SF. Which should we opt for?
Also, we're from FL and not sure what to pack. What's the avg temp during this time - are long pants and jackets preferred over shorts and tees? Is it the rainy season?
Thanx for the help.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 04:51 PM
kam

Think I would choose the Nikko because the Hilton is enormous and mostly for conventions. Not rainy season--leave raincoats and umbrellas at home. Right now we're very, very hot. It was 79 in the city today and that's hot. Normally expect 50-65 range, much cooler at night when the fog rolls in. Fog will burn off about 11 am generally so layer upon layer upon layer. SF is "smart casual"--still a lot of black even in the summer. Long skirts, linen jackets over T shirts--neutral colors---not a lot of hot pink etc. During the day capri pants but very few cutoffs. We are just a shade less dressy than NYC. Rarely do men wear jackets. Nice slacks and a long sleeve dress shirt. Maybe pack something for cool evenings. No ties. But.....if you're going to a nice restaurant and you feel like it, you can dress to the nines and not look out of place. It's a great place to have a pashmina if you own one!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:54 PM
Kelly

Kam is right on the money-as usual.-described the clothing issue perfectly.
the weather in SF can be tricky--79 in SF today while Napa one hour drive north and slightly inland was 100!!!
A week ago the high in SF was 64..
You will hear SF referred to as "the City" by a lot of California people.
I think it still has a lot of charm.
Enjoy

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:17 AM
jena

Just got back from SF and I noticed that people do tend to be dressier in Union Square and Financial District. We wore jeans, which my husband doesn't even like to do, but thought, why not? We wished we hadn't. However, in Fisherman's Wharf, where we stayed, people dress down more.

As for weather, most days were windy which made it quite cold. People were walking around in winter coats. We had a couple of nice (not windy) days and it was perfect. Everyone kept telling us that September/October or the spring are the best times for weather in SF.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Kris

Rhyannon,

Why would you want to come to SF in July from Florida? The summer weather is frigid. Temperatures are mostly in the 60's, and you will be lucky to see the sun for about 3 hours each day. Other than that SF will be completely fogged in. You may want to consider southern California to get a true taste of what California is like. The weather in LA and San Diego can't be beat. San Francisco is a largely overrated city. The culture and restaurants do not rank with that of a world class city.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 12:28 PM
mike

Kris, Darlene or whoever you claim to be--get a clue. Rhyannon is coming to SF. They have the dates planned. They have specific questions. Your comments are pointless. Have you become bored with the "I Hate SF" thread?

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 12:34 PM
td

I also have to comment that California could easily be divided into two states. Going to L.A. does not give you the "feel" of California. It gives you the feel of Southern California. Fine and fun if that's what you are looking for, but it does not represent San Francisco (or even San Jose.) Vice versa, obviously, also. If you want to know what L.A. is like, you're not going to find it up north.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Jena

The restaurants in SF were fantastic. So many to choose from. I want to go back just to try out new ones!

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Rhyannon

Thanx to all for the great advice. Maybe in the future, we'll get a chance to visit the rest of CA, but this time, it'll be Northern CA. Thnx again!

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 05:22 PM
gail

We froze half to death in SF 2 years ago over July 4. Daytime temps in low 70s, but at night when that cold fog rolls in, better bring several layers of clothing.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 05:43 PM
ellen griswolds

During our first trip to SF, we caught a game at the old Candlestick Park. It was July 4 and EVERYONE but other tourists like we Griswolds had on WINTER coats and hats. Since we were wearing shorts and sweatshirts, Clark went back to the hotel for jeans and blankets, and then we STILL froze!

But I still remember the FABULOUS fireworks that night, complete with patriotic music. It was a class act, very moving, and a wonderful tribute to America.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Sarah

S.F.is my favorite city in the US. Have lunch at Scomas on Fishermans Wharf. Be sure & drink a good bottle of wine & ear their "Crab Louis".

A SF waiter once told me that the most wind breakers in the world were sold there & I believe that! SO-- be smaart & take one with you!

Have fun & ride the trolley from Union Sq. to the Wharf.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:10 AM
lizbeth

Rhyannon,
The first person to reply to your post (kam) gives an accurate set of details. Personally, I'd leave the shorts at home. Lightweight chinos or linen-weave trousers will serve you well even in the warmest temps here, and are more versatile for dressing up/down. Bring a sweater that can layer under whatever jacket you bring. Hot weather in San Francisco generally has a three-day limit, as the heat in the inland areas attracts the fog back to the coast in a continuous cycle. This week has been one of very pleasant weather in the city proper - it was very warm on Tuesday and Wednesday (80's midday in downtown S.F.), gradually cooling yesterday and this morning is a little breezier, with fog expected overnight.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:19 AM
xxx

As Mark Twain once said, the coldest winter he ever experienced was a summer in San Francisco. That about sums up what it is like in SF during the summer months. When in most other California cities you can be wearing shorts and T-shirts, in SF you need wool sweaters, coats, and an umbrella because of the constant drizzle when SF is covered in pea soup fog. Bottom line, SF is no place to spend a summer vacation unless you are from the Arctic.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Viola

I've heard that Union Square is a pretty popular place, but I'll be spending much time around there on foot while others are in a meeting for several days. Lots to do and see without wandering too far off or taking public transportation? We're interested in the Saturday AM Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market. Heard controversy, however, about the location of their Tuesday or Thursday market. Please help!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Susan

Viola, have a look at their website, www.ferryplazafarmersmarket.com. They hold the market on Tuesdays at the Justin Herman Plaza, at the foot of Market Street.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Sam Clemens

Rhyannon,

xxx was close to right, what I actually said was, "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer I spent in San Francisco." My favorite quote though (even though it never caught on)was: "The best lasagna I ever ate was a rump roast I ate in Butte falls."

Oh, I kill myself sometimes.

Sam C.