Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

It is so hot here I can't think of what to pack for San Francisco - Please Help!

It is so hot here I can't think of what to pack for San Francisco - Please Help!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 08:00 AM
jeannie

I just came in from watering tomatoes and it is already so hot and humid this morning that I can't even begin to think about packing for San Francisco for this weekend. I know that 60 - 70 daytime and 50- 60 evening but what shall I need. Right now I am in my coolest sundress but last time I was in San Francisco (10 Yrs ago) this week everyone had on black leather and boots at dinner. Please help! Should I get my early spring stuff back out of the closet. We are going to several nice dinners and mostly just sight see and shop. Thanks

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 08:32 AM
sf

I was in SF yesterday. Yes, wear early spring stuff and bring a sweater and/or a light jacket. If you are standing in the sun, it will feel refreshingly warm so layering is key.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Polly

Your best bet is to check www.weather.com for a long-range forecast and not rely on reports of 'what is normal this time of year.' When I was last there in late June they had a heat wave and recorded record high temperatures. It was sweltering--near 100 degrees.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Faina

From my 12-years experience of living in San Francisco: NEVER TRUST ANY WEATHER SERVICE. Dress in layers. You never know what to expect. Don't forget sunblock and sweater. You will need both.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Suzie

As long as it stays in the 90's in the central valley it will be foggy and cooler in San Francisco. Last weekend next door neighbor was jetting out and said he was off to SF for the day. We commented that he'd be nice and cool. Saw him go back inside and return with his down coat. Don't know if he used it as it was a very mild 80's weekend which usually means better weather in the city. Usual SF temp in June is 70's. After the fog burns off and before it rolls back in, the weather can be nice.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Bill

Weather here (San Francisco) has been great lately! Bright and sunny with a refreshing off-shore breeze.

Layers really are best! The temperature varies even throughout the city. The Mission District is always the warmest - and the ocean and bayfront areas are always cooler.

Enjoy your visit!!!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 12:17 PM
kam

Weather is beautiful right now. But, you need something more than just a t-shirt during the day. I would suggest a light sweater or a linen blazer.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Sam Clemens

Jeannie,

The coldest burger I ever ate was right off the grill in San Francisco.

Sam

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:09 PM
kam

Long range forcast for the weekend--just on the radio. 50s at the beaches, 80s in the inland valleys (like the East Bay areas or Napa), SF probably 65 or so during the day and 55 or so at night.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:15 PM
kal

Aloha,
We were down there a few Thursdays ago and got were in sport shirts and shorts for the Giants day game then just threw on a lightweight fleece jacket for our evening walk up the Emabrcadero to Fish/Wharf for dinner and then back again.

Still a bit of chill in the air at nights. Wish it could up to the Sac Valley a bit more!
Kal

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Lizbeth

Hi Jeannie:
I'm in S.F. right now and can tell you that our contradictory, whimsical summer weather pattern is in full swing.
Yesterday morning there was fog so thick in the western area of of the city that it was rolling along the ground. When I came out of the BART station in downtown S.F., it was clear and sunny, fresh little morning breeze going. Throughout the day it was about 67 or so, felt cooler because the wind picked up in the afternoon. This morning it was clear at the coast but the fog will be back tonight. This goes on all "summer" long. So, as far as what to pack - nothing at either extreme of hot or cold, layering, as mentioned in previous posts, will serve you best. Leather's fine all year here. Here's what I'd wear for the sort of activities you outline:
Pants in black or grey
Lightweight leather jacket
Shirt or lightweight knit top
Ankle boots with a 1 1/2" heel.
Then bring a fleece jacket or windbreaker and an extra cardigan that can coordinate and fit under your jacket(s). And of course another pair of shoes for more extensive walking.
Hope this is some practical advice you can use. Welcome back to S.F.!