Dressing for Cold Weather

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, my parents are going to Kentucky this weekend, and I just checked the weather- single digit lows and highs in the 20s! As my family is from LA, needless to say, we are not used to cold weather. They are pretty worried about layering and dressing properly- any advice? My father has had pneumonia twice, so he doesn't want to take any chances. They're going to a conference, so they'll be inside most of the time, but they don't want to be stuck in a hotel the whole time. They'll also be renting a car in Cincinnati and were wondering if they would need to get chains as well. Thanks.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:31 AM

buy some long underwear and a good heavy coat.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:35 AM

In cold weather, your head, hands and feet must be kept warm. The shoes should not be tight, you should be able to wiggle your toes (yes, I am serious, born in russia).

Ha ha ha ha start ice-cream training!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:36 AM

Hat, gloves, and scarf to wrap around his face if it is windy. Feet often get cold, so warm socks and thicker soled shoes often help.

Without running out to buy new clothes if he only has LA warm clothing, I would go with a short sleeved tshirt, long sleeved knit shirt over that and then a dress shirt and then a fleece-type thing. A coat over that.

With all due respect to our mothers and grandmothers, pneumnoia is not caused by cold feet, wet heads, or not wearing a coat outside. But don't try to convince your father of that - it would likely be a waste of time.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:39 AM
MaureenB

Layers, layers, layers. With a waterproof or water-resistant outer layer. Plus good gloves, hat and warm shoes. I'll bet they don't need to buy anything new, just make layers from undergarments, long- and short-sleeved t-shirts, tights, leggings, socks, etc.
>-

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM

The secret is long underwear, two pair of socks, a covered head, gloves, and plenty of layers.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 12:01 PM

Oh, yeah, and the coat should be wind-proof. Wind is worse then cold.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 12:12 PM

I will repeat what everyone else is saying....layers! I will be going to a conference in Louisville tomorrow through Saturday myself. I plan on taking wool dress pants to wear during the day with cashmere and wool sweaters, as well as jeans, etc. for free time. I will layer long sleeve knit shirts or blouses under my sweaters. I have been debating whether to take my big NorthFace parka or my wool dress coat. I have about decided to worry less about fashion and more about warmth and go with the parka! I am guessing your parents will either be in Lexington or Louisville. Both cities can be very windy, which makes the cold feel worse. Hats, scarves, and gloves will help. If they will be in Louisville, the convention center and all the major hotels around it are connected by a pedway, which is great in inclement weather. I don't think they need to worry about chains for the rental car. The highway crews are good about keeping the interstates and main roads free of snow in all but the very worst of winter weather. Hopefully, they will find plenty of warm, Southern hospitality to offset the unusually cold weather!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Layers are your friends. I like a combo of cotton, wool and Polartec. Gloves and head/ ear covering is important.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:13 PM

I'd avoid wearing a lot of cotton, and go for either lightweight (and layered) wool, or layered fleece with some wind/water protection over it. Cotton doesn't keep you as warm. Also, the layers should fit close to the skin, although not like lycra... you want a small cushion of warm air around your torso. Too loose = too much ventilation. Too tight = no warm air to insulate you. Have fun!!! Rosy cheeks are cute.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the great advice. I've got them buying long underwear, thermals, wool socks, and warm gloves. Sound good? They're actually going to be in Walton, not far from Cincinnati.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:17 PM

Oh, and regarding chains: that might be hard with a rental car -- go for an all-wheel drive, but please try not to drive if you aren't used to driving on snow/ice... it's not something that comes naturally, and all wheel drive by itself is only slightly helpful. Slow, slow, slow.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Just my opinion, but long underwear is really overkill unless someone is planning to be mainly outside. I used to try to wear it commuting on bitter days in Chicago, but simply got too hot indoors. I don't think you can even GET chains with a rental car, except maybe in mountain areas, but inexperienced drivers often have a hard time driving on ice and snow.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:38 PM

To me, one of the most important things to have in cold weather is this gizmo:
http://buffwear.com/waystowear.html
I have a polor buff and would just die without it!
I have worn it as a hat, ear cover, mouth cover, neck warmer and headband.
I also have one made for warmer weather that is great!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:02 PM
GoTravel

Make sure your shoes have thick rubber soles to keep out cold and wet.

Hat, gloves, scarf, wool coat.

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:04 PM

Thick-soled shoes -- rubber or similar. Leather soles conduct that bitter cold directly from pavement to skin.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:44 PM

I LOVE my Croc Endeavor shoes.http://www.shoebuy.com/sb/s.jsp?Styl...earch=endeavor
They don't have holes like other crocs.
VERY comfortable and they weigh NOTHING, so they don't add to your luggage weight and you can toss them in the washer to clean.
I seriously love these darn ugly a** shoes. I bought my daughter some recently for culinary school. She was going through a pair of shoes every quarter and they were uncomfortable. She said she would rather die than be seen in Crocs but I bought her a pair and that's all she will wear to school (with a chef uniform). She still will never been seen in them without the whole uniform but it has really made a difference in her comfort.
The shoes in the link are 39.99 at Nordstrom, if you can even find any in stock. I have been buying them at shoebuy.com for 34.00 and then if you type shoebuy in the discount field it will bring it down to 31.00, with free shipping.
They are very warm and 100% winter proof, especially with winter socks.
I toss all ours in the washer once or twice a month and they look brand new forever... not that that makes them more attractive

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 04:34 PM

Hat covering your ears, warm gloves and long scarf are all key. You will find your head and face getting the coldest - and is it's windy wrap the scarf all around your face - or you may find yourself with a windburn that can be as bad as sunburn.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 04:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I also think long underwear is too much for the trip you describe. You'll roast in a hotel, restaurants, heated car!

A decent coat, hat, scarf, gloves, and good footwear, with normal clothing layers should be sufficient imo.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 05:42 PM

OVERKILL!!!!

Geez... high's in the 20's doesn't require this much thought. Here are some findings of fact:

1. At a conference, your parents will be in side almost all the time
2. It is coldest at dawn, when I'm guessing your parents will be having the freebie breakfast and cup of coffee, and sitting down for the conference, not going out
3. I'm just guessing that they will not ever spend more than a minute or two outside... hotel to car, car to restaurant, etc. the problem with cold is the prolonged exposure, not the walk from the parking lot to the door.
4. Unless your parents are active people, who will be hiking during this vacation, the advice given is big time overkill

No chains, no. I'm guessing that 98% of people who live there don't even own car chains. ditto on long johns.

Bring: normal clothes that you would wear in LA in January. Add a fleece or a favorite sweater. Then add an shell of some sort - good windbreaker or whatever you would wear in rain in LA. Throw in a pair of gloves and maybe a hat if you wish, and you'll be just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -