Buffalo to Niagara Falls

Search

Buffalo to Niagara Falls

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2007, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffalo to Niagara Falls

We are travelling the USA on an Amtrak rail pass and hence have no car, nor wish to drive.
Our route takes us from Chicago to Boston but would love to stop over and see the falls.
Heres the catch- our train is scheduled to arrive at Buffalo - Depew at 10.00 am. but the next connecting train to NF is late pm.
Can anyone advise on an alternative transfer to NF either NY or Ontario so we can spend the day there and then stay overnight. We can then catch the train back the following morning.

Many Thanks
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 05:01 PM

Well- depending on your budget you could rent a car or take a cab or look into buses - Greyhound probably has something. But you should know most of the good stuff is on the Canadian side - and while getting into Canada is easy you need to be sure you have the correct paperwork for getting back into the US (depending on your nationality and if a visa is needed for entry or not).
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 05:26 PM

The unfortunate thing about Buffalo-Depew is that it's far from downtown Buffalo with surprisingly few transit options including no taxis (!) into the city (especially on Sunday when I arrived). You might wish to consider doing what I did about a year ago when I caught the Chicago-Buffalo train... my original plan was to catch a taxi to Buffalo's Greyhound station for continued travel to Toronto. When the taxi driver told me it was $30 to downtown Buffalo from Depew, I then asked him how much to Niagara Falls, USA; he said $65 to the Rainbow Bridge. I accepted his offer and walked into Canada for ongoing travel to Toronto (hourly buses from Niagara Falls, Canada and no hassle with bus crossing the border.) So taxi to Niagara Falls might not be too pricey for you...

Good luck, Dan
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 06:54 AM

The Depew station is just down the road from the Buffalo airport.

Call Airport Taxi:

http://www.buffaloairporttaxi.com/

Have a great trip.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I am amazed that one of the worlds biggest tourist attractions is so poorly served by transit.

Ill let you know how i get on
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 09:44 AM

It's not poorly served by transit - it's poorly served by train - as is most of the US. Here train travel is the poor stepchild - the government supports travel by car and plane - and has no interest in passenger trains.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 11:55 AM

Buffalo residents correct me if I am wrong, I am not familiar with the Depew Station, but if arriving at the Buffalo Amtrak station can you go by public bus to the falls? As I recall, it is possible and would take about 1-1/2 hours or so. 60A and transfer to 42A or something like that?