Florida beach hotel meet this criteria?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be going to FL for a long weekend day after Thanksgiving. I'll be going alone and am 50-something. I've done this a number of times and usually go to Clearwater Beach (flying from Cleveland to Tampa) and usually stay at Quality Hotel on the beach. I'd like to try something different but it must meet my criteria.

I'm looking for "on the beach", $100-$120/nite, balcony (preferably facing beach), smoking room, walking distance to restaurants and shops. Would like a mini kitchen or at least a small fridge/microwave. I prefer the west coast but am open to any beach. It needs to be safe and not a "spring break" place (don't want an old folks home either). Just planning to lie on the beach or at the pool and read but wondering if I can go somewhere different for a change of scenery.

Thanks for any help!
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 08:06 PM

There's a great Embassy Suites in Deerfield on the beach, but I don't know the rates.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply but the Embassy in Deerfield is over $200 night (plus they charge $15.00 for parking!). It's also a non-smoking hotel and one of my criteria is a smoking room.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 03:46 AM

A few years back our family stayed at the Blue Water Beach club in Anna Maria. The rooms were clean and we had one with a kitchen. Right on the beach and also close to shops and a few restaurants. It was quite reasonable.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

bhonereh,
Thanks for the reply. I did a check and all rooms Blue Water Beach Club are non-smoking and around $200/nite. So still not a place that meets all my criteria.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 07:39 AM
cd

dherron
I have a wonderful suggestion for you! I just called and asked your questions so I know it's possible. We have stayed here and loved it!
The Island Inn in Treasure Island which is not a far drive from Tampa. They have efficiency staterooms for $117.00 per night. They have table and chairs, stove, microwave, full size refrig, and balcony facing the ocean.
http://www.islandinnresort.com/
You can walk 2 min up the shore to a wonderful restauant/bar directly on the water, they even furnish lounge chairs you can take to the shoreline to view the great sunsets.
A 5min drive away is John's Pass:
http://www.johnspass.com/
You will love it!
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 07:41 AM
cd

Forgot the phone number is
727-367-1926
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 07:47 AM
cd

dherron
I meant the restaurant furnishes lounge chairs for you to drag to the shoreline, not the hotel. The hotel's chairs has to stay in the pool area.
Also, if your interested, be sure and specify you want the room facing the ocean as they have some that don't.
And they do permit smoking in some rooms.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

cd,
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I went to The Island Inn site and this just may be what I'm looking for!
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 01:09 PM

Consider the Holiday Inn Indian Rocks, just 20 or 30 minutes south of Clearwater. An exception to your list is that it's across the street from the beach. However, half the rooms are on a canal, with nice decks waterside. Many rooms have kitchenettes. Respectable restaurants in walking distance. The hotel has a pleasant bar and live entertainment often. Definitely not geezerville. Have sometimes gotten great deals at this location on the prepaid-no change-no refund deal on the Holiday Inn Web site.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 01:50 PM

Another plug for the Island Inn.

I live nearby and just blocked 25 rooms for my daughter's wedding in early December. I toured about six of the rooms, and they were all immaculate, well furnished, and recently updated. The pool is small, and there is no restaurant onsite (there is a small beer/wine bar), but that is why the price is so right. The three times I visited before I blocked the rooms, the staff was friendly and efficient.

I also looked at the Bilmar Beach Resort, about a half mile north of the Island Inn. It is in a better location, with three bars and two restaurants, and many stores within a couple of blocks. But I believe it is a bit larger, and some of the rooms were yucky (no balcony, no windows that open). So if you could get a balcony room here within your budget, I'd also recommend that. (I didn't block my rooms here because management was impersonal and their blocking policy was unreasonable.)
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Joan,
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me if there are any restaurants/shops within walking distance of the Island Inn? Is it in a good/safe area?

Sounds like it will be a wonderful, big wedding if you're booking 25 rooms for out of town guests!
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 04:51 PM
cd

dherron
I'm not Joan but the restauant that I referred to in a 2 min waling distance, on the beach, from Island Inn is Caddy's. A very safe area.

By the way, Joan is not allowed to say this but I can, She and her husband own a fresh fish market and restauant in St Petersburg, not a far drive from Island Inn. We went there twice to purchase seafood to cook at our condo at Island Inn. Great! but what was so, so good was the homemade spread that Joan's husband makes to put on crackers!! Yummmmm
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 04:54 AM

cd, thanks! I am blushing!

Yes, the entire area is completely safe, night or day. How nice is that?

Within walking distance of the Island Inn, there is Caddys that cd told you about, also a 7-11, a liquor store, and across the bridge, a small shopping center with a great italian restaurant (Carino's), a so-so beach bar type place (called Mulligan's). Directly across the street is the Shell Shop, you have to check it out - it is a real throwback to the old days, some beautiful stained glass, just very old and kind of cool.

Everything else, the main shopping area, is about a half mile north - about a ten or fifteen minute walk will bring you to all kinds of shops and restaurants (get a Cuban sandwich at the Floridian for lunch one day). The grocery store is too far, about two miles south.

Yes, this wedding is gonna be a party we'll never forget (in a good way!!!).
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

cd & Joan,
I just called and booked the Island Inn. Thanks for the suggestion! I just wanted to point out that when I called Daniella asked if I had AAA and said with the discount, the rate for the State Room was $105!! Even better! I always ask about a AAA discount and just failed to do so this time. Daniella was very nice to suggest it and, in fact, was just generally very nice. I like the place already!
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 12:07 PM
cd

dherron
Have a great time! The grouper sandwiches at Caddy's are very good as are the walks up Sunset Beach from Caddy's. Don't forget to shop and walk the boardwalk at Johns Pass. Thanks for the update.