Bryce Canyon area advice needed

Old Aug 27th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bryce Canyon area advice needed

I have a friend from England who is fascinated by photos of Bryce Canyon and wants to visit. I'm from Seattle and will join her there for a week, probably Sept '08. We both enjoy horseback riding and photography, are late 30s, and are looking for a relaxing outdoor-oriented vacation. We prefer to stay in one or two places. Not into places/activities with lots of kids. Questions:
Are there any ranches that have lodging? If not, any suggestions of a nice outdoorsy place to stay without bunches of kids?
Are there guided horseback trip outfits that take small groups (4 - 6)?
What's the drive time from Las Vegas to Bryce Canyon?
Do you have a favorite, "must-see" place in the area?

All info appreciated!!

Old Aug 27th, 2007, 12:35 PM

The best way to see Bryce is by booking through Xanterra. Xanterra is the only outfit able to book inside the National Parks. We stayed in one of the cabins four years ago and had a phenomenal time. There are trail rides that take you to the bottom of the Canyon that can be booked through the Lodge. We drove from Vegas with a long stop at Zion National Park. We managed to get there at sunset after leaving Vegas in early A.M., with time for a hike at Zion. My memory isn't what it used to be so I can't say exactly how long the drive took. You'll have a wonderful experience.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 01:07 PM

If you go after labor day there will be more adults than children. Stay away from Ruby's Inn no matter what time you go. The mule ride is a lot of fun. I don't think the group was that small but it wasn't so large as to be annoying either. Definitely try for the lodge in Bryce.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 01:20 PM
maw

If you have a whole week in the area you may want to consider a few days at beautiful Zion also. Bryce and Zion are both GORGEOUS in different ways.

Zion area definitely has more lodging options than Bryce and area. Bryce has the inpark lodge/cabins-RUSTIC Natl Park places- and then there is Ruby's right outside the park but although that was fine for our family w/kids it is NOT what you are looking for..there are a couple small towns a ways from Bryce that may offer lodging options, hopefully someone else can help with that. Be sure to search thru these Fodors forums for trip reports about Bryce/Zion--SO helpful, and also tripadvisor.com for lodging reviews about inpark and lodging in towns near parks.

Our family did the shorter ride at Bryce and loved it--about 1/3 kids and the rest adults but that was summer. You probably DON'T have to worry about the 'kid overrun' since you'll be there in September. Again, because it's Sept you may not have to book quite so far ahead--we booked lodging 6-8 months ahead and the mule/horse ride about 4 months ahead.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Hi Chris,

When are you going? If you have a week, you can visit more than 1 park. A week at Bryce would be quite long.

You could do 2 nts at Zion, 2 nts at Bryce and 2 nts at Boulder or Torrey (Capitol Reef). Or, something along those lines.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Hi

My wife and I doing a "circle tour" from Las Vegas in September heading to the Grand Canyon first then up to Bryce and Zion National Parks then back to Las Vegas.

As we head north from Cameron, Arizona I am wondering if Highway 89 through Page and Glen Canyon is preferable to Highway 89 (alt) which goes through Jacob Lake. Both highways end up in Kanib, Utah.

Both drives look spectacular - any advice on which one to chose ?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks for your help !!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Murray,
If you go up Route 89 you have the possibility to add 2 spectacular sights.

Just South of Route 98 (that goes east off Route 89), on the left hand side of the road you have the parking lot for Horseshoe Bend (free). It's a pretty hot 3/4 mile, level walk to the cliff that looks down on the Colorado River making a 180 degree turn. Allow about 1 1/2 hours.

Also, a couple of miles East along Route 98 you have the parking lot on the right side of the road for Upper Antelope Canyon ($26 including parking, ride to the Canyon and guide).
Allow about 2 hours including the drive to a from the Canyon.

If you Google both on the internet you'll see the most spectacular photos.

These sights should both be sween in mid-day when the sun is at its highest.

You can see photos of my June trip at:

www.travelwalks.com

Select the Bryce, Zion, etc trip of 2007 at the bottom right of the page.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Thanks Myer !!

I just found out about this forum - what a great help !!

Due to time constraints we will be going from south rim directly to Bryce with no time for stops.

From strictly a drive-thru standpoint would Highway 89 be preferable to 89 ( alt ) ?

Does Highway 89 go over the Glen Canyon Dam ? I also saw something about a bridge over part of Lake Powell which was very scenic.

Thank-you for your help - we leave for Las Vegas September 19 from Vancouver.

Actually the Utah parks are a new revelation to us and have been added on to our trip.

September 19 arrive Las Vegas 8 PM -Drive the strip and stay night in Boulder City

September 20 -21 Stay at Flagstaff and see Sedona area.

September 22 Maswik Lodge GC

At this point we had planned to drive back to Vegas the same way but a co-worker told me how beautiful Zion and Bryce were.

Luckily I do not mind driving but it will be a long day from South Rim to Bruce and Zion and hopefully in Vegas before dark. We hope to be on the road very early ( 7 AM ) and see as much as possible. Probably drive through Bryce and leave more time for shuttle in Zion.

For a future trip we plan for more time in Utah.

Thanks again for any advice.

Murray

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Murray,
Are you planning on going from the South Rim to Bryce, Zion and over to Las vegas all on the same day?

If so, what a shame!!!

There are many opinions on what to do.

I would stop near Page to see Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon, spend 2-3 hours in Bryce and skip Zion other than driving through from the East to the South Entrance.

However, if you skip Bryce you'll save about 3 hours of driving (there and back south).

Zion is beautiful but Bryce is one of a kind. In 3 hours you could stop at 2-3 viewpoints and probably hike down Navajo Loop trail. Maybe I'm being too ambitious here. But it's a shame not to see these places.

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 11:06 AM

Oh, forgot to mention. Yes, Route 89 goes on a bridge that goes just beside the dam.

Actually, there's a 3rd sight near Page. Just south of the dam on the left side of the highway, there a sign to 'scenic road'.

There are rock stairs down to a viewpoint (built). It faces directly towards the dam. The place is called "The Best Dam View" (free). Allow 15-20 minutes.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 05:50 PM

Hi Myer
I enjoyed looking at your photos.

It is unfortunate our trip was planned when I found out about Zion and Bryce. On the other hand we had planned to drive back to Las Vegas the same way so it is lucky we found about it at all. Also staying at south rim for the night is better than driving north from Flagstaff.

My wife is not a big hiker especially if it is hot. Also we are still young so will probably have more chances to go there with more time !!

We will go Highway 89 as you suggested.

Thanks again for taking the time to help us - we really appreciate it !!

Murray
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 02:42 AM

Murray,
One last thing.

If you aren't going to hike at all, and this is only my personal opinion, I would skip South Rim and get to see both Bryce and Zion.

I made a pit stop at the South Rim just to shorten a long day of driving (I was alone). I should have stayed several more hours and hike down an hour. From the top, the Grand Canyon doesn't look that impressive. You just don't get a perspective of its size.

Old Sep 1st, 2007, 03:31 PM

Thanks Myer for all your advice.

Murray
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 01:10 AM

'In park' bookings for Sept 08 opened yesterday. We made reservationf for Bryce & GC South. They take a deposit of 1 night stay from your credit card. I know I am a bit OTT about planning my trip next year but as the deposit is refundable up to 72 hours before stay I don't see there is anything to loose by being this early booking, it saves disappointment later.
Hilary
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 05:47 AM

Chris813...

Check out my Utah trip report, I just got back from that area. My wife and I spent a week hitting almost every park in Southern Utah. We are in our early 30's.