Search

Brooklyn Highlights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 11:57 AM
FRANCIS KELLY

Brooklyn Highlights

As a callow Irish student [1971] stayed in Ford Street, Brooklyn and worked close by. Will be retracing my steps and sentimentally reminiscing 11th-15th August.

I'll be happy re-living my memories -- but how can I convince my sceptical wife, teenage daughter and cynical son that modern Brooklyn is worth a protracted visit?

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Diana

Go to this website and check it out:
http://www.brooklynx.org/tourism/default.asp
It has most everything you could want. If you look in a tour book like Fodors or Frommors, usually the only non-Manhattan neighborhood they talk about is Brighton Beach which is now mostly Russian with lots of nightclubs. The Brooklyn Botanic Garden, The Brooklyn Academy of Music, Prospect Park, Brooklyn Heights. You might also check with www.bigapplegreeter.org for a FREE guide that will spend an hour or two taking your family wherever they interests lead them. Tons of fun things to do and places to see in Brooklyn.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:04 PM
were

Brooklyn does have some interesting places, neighbourhoods; I like Brighton Beach, avoid Coney.

But, be REAL careful where you go in Brooklyn, especially if you're not familiar with everything. If you don't know what's there, DON'T GO THERE.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Kate

I don't think you can convince them of that. There are some great museums but I think they can't compare by what you can find in Manhattan. Going to Coney Island is interesting as well as the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. Although I am almost certain they would not hold a candle to any national gardens in England. BAM is another pull if you want to take in some shows. I also think most British theatre outshines what you can see on this side of the pond. I say park your family in Manhattan and you reminisce all on your own in Brooklyn. Manhattan is safe enough I would not want my family wandering around on there own in Brooklyn though.

Not to offend but I lived in Brooklyn for 8 years left the area for 3 years and returned for 5 years in Manhattan. With the exception of visiting friends I have absolutely no need to go into Brooklyn. That is just how it is. To be quite honest I think it would be selfish to make a family sit through Brooklyn with Manhattan just over the bridge, unless of course, they are already very familiar with Manhattan. I know this sounds like a snotty reply but it is an honest one. So, my apologies to those of you who live in Brooklyn, I just wanted to give an honest answer.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Kate

were is correct but I threw in Coney Island because I think it is interesting. I was guessing you are a person that is a savy traveler and on a busy Saturday in Summer you should be fine in Coney Island.

Just takes you back to the golden days of Coney Island in my opinion.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Kate

PS I had a similar time abroad in London in Ealing. That is about as far from central London as Brooklyn is from Manhattan perhaps further. What I have found on return trips is that a quick run around in the area is all I need. I think you might find yourself scratching your head with a less embellished view of where you lived in Brooklyn. What I did anyway with Ealing. Just where is Ford Street by the way.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:52 PM
w

Ford Street is near Knapp Street and Avenue U

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:00 AM
xxx

What neighborhood?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Elfie

In case you're unaware, Brooklyn now has its own minor league baseball team, The Cyclones. They play in Keyspan Park in Coney Island. If your family is interested in baseball, try and get tickets to a Cyclones game, it's a great time. Really excited, boisterous crowd and the stadium isn't too huge. Brooklyn is definitely more of a residential boro than Manhattan, always has been and always will be, nothing derogatory about that. You might go to Grimaldi's pizza place, under the Brooklyn Bridge, and then take a stroll along the promenade and thru Brooklyn Heights. Have fun whatever you do.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Jim

Stop in to see the lads at Last Exit to Brooklyn on Atlantic Ave.