Why does Brooklyn get a bad rap?

Jun 7th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Why does Brooklyn get a bad rap?

Im just curious, I have never been to NY but I lived outside of Chicago. I understand that certain parts of a city have problems and get a bad rap. Does Brooklyn have a bad rap or considered "unsafe" if so, why? Just curious, planning on visiting the city in the near future.
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:11 AM

I didn't know it got a bad rap, but if it does it is probably from people who don't know the place or who need to feel better about where they live.
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Everything's relative but, amongst New Yorkers, Brooklyn does not have a bad rap and is not considered "unsafe." Probably considered the second most desirable borough to live in outside Manhattan.
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:24 AM

I don't think Brooklyn gets a bad rap. It's a whole county - with more than 2 million resdients and has some very upscale areas, a lot of middle/working class areas as well as some areas that are quite dreadful.

It also has some interesting touris attractions (aquarium, Porspect Park, Brroklyn Museum) but not nearly as many as Manhattan - so most people on a short trip don;t find time to spend there (just like Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island - the other primarily residential boroughs).
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

I would like to visit Brooklyn if I have time. Looks like an interesting place with a lot of history. Thanks for the opinion.
Jun 7th, 2007, 10:06 AM

I would even venture to say that (at least among young adults), certain areas of Brooklyn are more desirable to live in than certain areas of Manhattan.
Jun 7th, 2007, 10:09 AM

Brooklyn has a proud history behind it, I have never heard of it getting a bad rap. Maybe from false stereotypes concocted via movies or television? If anything the Bronx is a tougher area.
Jun 7th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Before our first trip to NYC we would have classified Brooklyn the same: unsafe, undesirable, rough, etc. However, we ended up taking the Brooklyn Loop of the Greyline Bus Double Decker Tour and really liked it there! The tour guide briefly touched on the fact that when the Brooklyn Dodgers left a lot of heart went with them. However, nowadays is a thriving area.

I'd suggest a visit--have fun!
Jun 7th, 2007, 10:18 AM

"I would even venture to say that (at least among young adults), certain areas of Brooklyn are more desirable to live in than certain areas of Manhattan."

I agree with that statement. I was only generalizing and comparing the boroughs overall. For one, I'd rather live in Park Slope over the Financial District.
Jun 7th, 2007, 11:06 AM

The timing is funny b/c I'm moving from the East Village to Cobble Hill next week!
Jun 7th, 2007, 11:18 AM
GoTravel

primo do you mean the Bronx instead of Brooklyn?

Brooklyn has been an upscale 'suburb' of Manhattan since the beginning of time. It has never gotten a bad rap.

In fact, I'd rather live there than Manhattan. You have better views of Manhattan Island.

Jun 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM