Search

hot air ballooning

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hot air ballooning

I am looking for a memorable 40th birthday experience for my sister and would like some ideas for hot air balloon rides in northern Vermont/ Burlington area. Her Birthday is early July and any other suggestions would be great!
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:17 AM

A ride in a hot air balloon is a wonderful treat. We did it for one of our anniversarys way back when (there have been so many...) and enjoyed it immensely.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:37 AM

We gave my parents a certificate for a hot air balloon ride for their anniversary. They enjoyed it, but I felt bad afterwards because I forgot my father is afraid of heights. Oops. I assume you know whether your sis is comfortable with heights.
Is this one of the companies you've contacted re balloons:
http://www.balloonsofvermont.com/

Biplane and glider rides are available at the Warren-Sugarbush airport. Info on soaring:
http://www.sugarbush.org/soaring.html

Biplane rides are fun, we've done several. The pilots will fly at the lowest legal level and it's up to you whether you want a steady, easy ride or something a little more adventurous. Most biplane scenic rides are offered by flight instructors with tons of experience, but always check on how much experience they have.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:23 AM

BTilke, any pilot carrying passengers for hire: fixed wing, helicopter, or balloon, must meet the requirements of the Federal Aviation Regulations for minimum experience (flight hours), get an annual physical, and pass a flight check every six months. Almost all biplanes are taildraggers, which means a special endorsement on top of everything else. Further, insurance companies have standards more rigorous than those of the FAA, so if there was such a thing as an inexperienced biplane pilot s/he would not qualify for insurance.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:51 PM

Oh I know they're all experienced, I just like to know how MUCH experience they have. The biplane pilots we've always gone up with have also been flight instructors and former military pilots.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:33 AM

As a flight instructor for forty years, no passenger has ever asked to see my logbook (of which I have several filled and one in progress). Other that total time, how would you determine a pilot's experience in a biplane by reading his or her logbook? Logbook entries are by model and tail number...you would really have to be an aviation expert to know what to look for.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies so far. I am looking for specific companies in Burlington/northern vermont area for ballooning and or biplane companies. Thanks again for the info.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:44 PM

I Googled "hot air balloon + vermont" and got several hits. Try it.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob I have done that but I am looking for real to life experiences with specific companies given the expense. (Which is the reason I posted this and what this site is so great for.)
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 03:26 PM

You might try Heritage Flight at 800-782-0773. The name sounds good, anyway.
If they don't have what you want, they should know who does.

The breadth of experience on this forum never ceases to amaze me, but you are shooting at a very small target
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:59 AM

I am thinking about the same idea only in Napa or Sonoma. Any recommendations?
CK
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 12:01 PM

jicobrje, try www.napavalleyballoons.com