Monday in Brooklyn: What's NOT closed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying out of JFK for an overseas trip leaving late Monday. Sunday night we'll be staying in an airport hotel. So we have half a day or so for tourism in Brooklyn (or any other borough, I guess) but it seems like the major cultural attractions (botanic gardens, museums) are closed. Family of four, 2 teenage boys and a car. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 02:36 PM

If you're strictly limited to Brooklyn (and the weather cooperates), about the only options I can think of would be the New York Aquarium or something involving walking around outside -- Coney Island (pleasant beach boardwalk, though not much will be open), Prospect Park, Brooklyn Promenade, or a stroll across the Brooklyn Bridge towards Manhattan. The last of these is arguably the best option.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 11:01 PM

If you're staying at JFK, why would you limit yourselves to Brooklyn? JFK is in Queens & Manhattan is an easy trip on the subway. MOMA is open on Mondays and is currently showing a Tim Burton show the boys would probably like. http://moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/313
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bach and McLaurie. We've "done" Manhattan fairly often and in fact were in the MOMA last month, but have never ever been to any of the other boroughs. So I think we'll take bach's suggestions and explore the Brooklyn Bridge area. The weather forecast looks grim, but since at the end of the day we're flying to Ireland we may as well get used to it!
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 07:38 AM

There is a slice of Brooklyn pizza tour.

http://www.asliceofbrooklyn.com/

If you have a car you can take a driving tour up to Coney Island. You can also take a neighborhood walking tour through Brooklyn Heights (which is near the Brooklyn Bridge-be sure to check out Jacque Torres and the Promenade, and Pier 1 of the Brooklyn Bridge Park)

For the teenage boys, it may be worth checking out the Brooklyn Superhero Supply Store in Park Slope
http://www.superherosupplies.com/

Many restaurants have reasonable lunch specials most of them under $12 per person.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 09:42 AM

I presently live in Maryland, but I grew up in the Coney Island area of Brooklyn. I guess Coney Island is still interesting, but I spent loads of time in Prospect Park, mainly at the zoo. I would like to know, is the zoo still there?
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 11:44 AM

http://www.prospectparkzoo.com/
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 11:46 AM

The weather forecast for Monday is rain.
Whether it will or not... who knows.