Broadway shows December

Jun 23rd, 2008, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Broadway shows December

We are an Aussie couple arriving in New York on December 13 2008, and flying out January 4 2009.

We would like to see at least 1 Broadway show anytime throughout our stay - preferably Avenue Q or Spamalot.

I have signed up with BroadwayBox and Playbill to receive their discount codes, but I've heard that there are not many discounts in December??

This is a stupid question - but which are the best seats? I'm guessing from the prices that I should be looking for Orchestra or Front Mezzanine? Can anyone provide more specific details of good seating? (Row numbers)?
Jun 23rd, 2008, 04:51 AM

Avenue Q and Spamalot generally have discounts available. Even in December it is likely that they will for many performances. But those discounts won't show up until a month or so before then. Neither of these shows are still THAT popular that you won't get tickets.

If i were heading to New York, and willing to pay full price for a Broadway musical, I'd probably be looking at Shrek, the Musical or Billy Elliot, two of the biggest shows starting in November. They are on sale now and you should be able to get good tickets (if the scalpers haven't already bought out all the good ones).

For seating charts, go to www.playbill.com and scroll down on the left side until you see seating charts for New York. Playbill.com is a good source of all information about the shows as well.

I'm a big believer that front row mezzanine is the best row for most musicals in most theatres.
Jun 23rd, 2008, 04:52 AM

Oh, I'd also highly recommend you get tickets to Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular while you're here at Christmas.
Jun 23rd, 2008, 08:11 AM

I agree with Patrick that you'll probably be able to get discounted tickets for Avenue Q and Spamalot even during the busy December. Check back in late October or early November.
Of the two shows Patrick mentioned, Billy Elliot is a safer bet, as it's already a huge hit in London, while Shrek is totally new and no one knows how good it'll be!
Jun 23rd, 2008, 08:16 AM

Tickets for the Avenue Q is often available 50 % off in the TDF booth on the same day
Jun 23rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for that information!
Excuse my ignorance but what is the 'TDF' booth?

Also, do you think there would be any chance of getting full price tickets to Wicked at that time of year?
Jun 23rd, 2008, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Looks like I can get full-price tickets to Wicked during the first few days in January.

Now I just need to work out whether I truly want to see it, and if my husband will be bored stiff or not!
Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:10 PM

I think that anyone would enjoy Wicked. I have a teenage daughter so I made sure it was no. 1 on our list, but we all loved it. Dh loved it too. I would definitely see it even if I didn't have a daughter.

I planned our trip about four months in advance, so I was able to get tickets for full price, but the best seats available were row x, center orch. I got them but I was sorry, to be honest, that I didn't pay for premium seats. We could not see the actors' faces. I have spoken to other people that did not mind being so far back, so I guess it's an individual matter, deciding how much one is willing to spend.

It also depends on the theatre so I would ask on fodor's if there is a question in your mind. I recently bought tickets that are right orch, row g, for Jersey Boys and paid a small premium. For me, I must be able to see the faces, yet I am only willing to go so far w/the $$$.
Jun 23rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Is it better to get a closer seat on the right or left of stage, rather than a centre seat that's further out?
I don't know if I like the idea of being on the 'side', but having never seen a show in my life, it's hard to say!
Jun 23rd, 2008, 11:43 PM

Saw Wicked in London (Sept. 2007) and husband liked it better than I did..he really liked it...I thought it was "ok".

Shadow
Jun 24th, 2008, 04:56 AM

invinciblesummer, often my favorite seats (assuming I can't get something like 5th row in the center) are the two seats on the aisle of the side section 4 to 8 or so rows back. Not only am I not bothered by being to the side, but I then have a little leg room (into the aisle) and there are no heads directly in front of me.

That said, it's hard to make general rules about how close or how far to the side. Once you get to the seats closest to the side walls in most theatres, you start getting some limited view. I saw Wicked from a side section about 8 rows back and in about the middle of a side section. The seats were GREAT.

And while I generally prefer front row mezzanine for most shows -- particularly musicals where you can really appreciate the choreography from there, the latest issue has been twice now having higher safety rails at the bottom of the aisle steps, which blocks view of the stage if you are in the aisle seats of the side section of front row mezzanine.
Jun 24th, 2008, 08:28 AM

invincible, it depends on how far back, imo. It also depends on the theatre. For example, I had seats in the Neil Simon Theatre that were towards the back, and yet, I could see the faces and was very happy.

I prefer side orch up close to center orch way back generally speaking. Patrick makes a good point about the mezzanine view. Once you decide what you would like to see and check out which seats are available, you can post if you have questions or would like opinions about the seats and theatre.
Aug 5th, 2008, 09:16 AM

We are planning to be in NYC on December 25-29. Any chance that we'd be able to get TDF tickets to Ave Q right aroudn Christmas?
Aug 6th, 2008, 04:25 AM

There is a chance of TKTS to Ave Q at Xmas, but rather than take a chance, I'd buy them in advance using a discount code from broadwaybox.com before you arrive.

You can find seating charts to all the theaters either on the playbill website or elsewhere on the web.

NeoPatrick, some theaters are starting to charge extra for aisle seats. Oy
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/119996.html
Aug 6th, 2008, 01:12 PM

You will not see any discount offers for the holiday season for quite a while, probably not until late October at the earliest. And, then, it's possible that there may not be any discounts for those holiday dates.
In any event, you can certainly wait until October before getting tickets.
Aug 6th, 2008, 03:35 PM

How about South Pacific? Found tix for $125 plus sc for your dates. That would be my Christmas pick.

Also agree with Patrick: please get tix to see Radio City Christmas show with the Rockettes. Something you will never forget!

No matter what you choose, NYC at Christmas is magical. Enjoy.
Aug 7th, 2008, 07:48 AM
TC

NeoPatrick, some theaters are starting to charge extra for aisle seats. Oy
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/119996.html

OMG -- is there nothing that theaters won't do to suck a few more bucks out of their fans? How ridiculous!

Agree totally that South Pacific and Radio City Christmas show would be two EXCELLENT choices.
Aug 7th, 2008, 09:22 AM

So was this new plan to charge for an aisle seat started at the American Airlines Theatre?
Aug 7th, 2008, 05:11 PM

The first I heard of it was at the St.James for Gypsy, but I think a number of theatres are doing it now.
Before long they'll charge extra for any seat that isn't broken -- which seems to be a real problem for me of late.