breakfast in nola

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 02:51 PM
ellen

breakfast in nola

We are visiting our daughter at Tulane this weekend, and want to take her and her new friends out for Saturday breakfast/brunch. Any places that won't break the bank?
Thanks

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 04:25 PM
pittsburgher

Go to Mass (or just for a moment of quiet) at the cathedral on Jackson Square, then walk over to La Madeleine on the corner and pretend that you've been transported to a little bit of Paris. Be sure to try the French coffee with lots of half-and-half.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 06:16 PM
KenCT

There's a La Madeline much closer to Tulane, just past the zoo, Carlton, I believe.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:54 AM
ellen

Thanks for the suggestion. Anybody else have any other thoughts?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 07:38 AM
thereuare

Nothing fancy, but a throw back in time and a great Southern atmosphere is The Camellia Grill. Great ride on the streetcar to get there too... see all the nice homes in the Garden District as you pass by.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 07:43 AM
joann

How about Commander's Palace or Brennan's for brunch?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 09:14 AM
susan

I have no firsthand knowledge of Mother's but it has a pretty good reputation as a NO breakfast place. It's in the CBD, doesn't take credit cards, has a long wait, but is apparently worth it. It's inexpensive, too!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 09:22 AM
xxx

I tried Mother's a few years ago. I couldn't get past the filth. I found the food and atmosphere less than desirable.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 10:03 AM
J Correa

We went to Mother's for lunch and had some great food. We liked the atmosphere. I've heard their breakfast is good too.

Some people like it, others don't - it just depends on what you're interested in.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 10:08 AM
Try

Go to Petunia's in the French Quarter for a great breakfast.

La Madeleine is a chain found all over the place. You can go to la madeleine anywhere's but there is only one Petunia's.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 10:13 AM
Ally

I second the vote for Petunia's! BEST french toast I've ever had! All the other dishes looked great too!
I also agree that you can find La Madeleine all over, it's a chain, and not worth it IMO...although I do love their Tomato Basil soup for lunch.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 10:28 AM
SA

I like Cafe Beignet (on Royal I think). Great little place w/outside tables (weather permitting). Not expensive @ all.