Bed and Breakfast in the French Quarter NO

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the consensus seems to be to stay in the FQ. Can anyone recommend a nice B&B that's conveniently located?
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 01:42 PM

cathleen--Try going online to www.bbonline.com and work your way down the selections to New Orleans. Look over the places available, then come back with questions about the ones that look best to you. Of the B&Bs directly in the FQ, you might look at the Andrew Jackson Hotel or the Hotel St Pierre. For a nice B&B about 7-8 blocks away, on Esplanade Ave, I like Ashton's.

I'm not sure why you are limiting your choices to B&Bs, because some of them are more costly than some of the hotels. Perhaps you have reasons other than expected cost. You might consider expanding your search to at least include some of the hotels in the FQ. Good luck.

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 02:19 PM
Dan

Some of the top B&Bs in the country according to tripadvisor are in New Orleans. In the Quarter, La Maison Marigny and Old Victorian Inn come to mind. Just outside, try Elysian Fields Inn, B and W Courtyards or the Crescent City Guesthouse.

Definitely read through tripadvisor's reviews!
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 03:13 PM

We enjoyed out stay in the Lafitte Guest House very much.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 04:31 PM

Just to clarify an earlier post by Dan: It's true that La Maison Marigny is one of the nicest B&Bs anywhere, but it is NOT in the French Quarter per se. It's near Esplanade Ave, and it is perhaps 6 blocks from the FQ, but it isn't in it. Same goes for some of the other inns you will read about that will try to describe their location in a way that makes you think they are in the FQ when they aren't.

As I said, La Maison Marigny is VERY nice, and if you want to stay out of the FQ it is one of the best places to stay. But if you expand your horizons to look outside the FQ, there are lots of B&Bs to consider, many of them lower in cost than La Maison Marigny. But go to the website www.lamaisonmarigny.com and check it out--it's worth considering.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 04:47 PM
Dan

Hey Wayne

Esplanade is one of the French Quarter borders. If La Maison Marigny is at Bourbon and Esplanade (which Mapquest verifies that is), then it's indeed at the edge of the Quarter. Maybe six blocks from the MIDDLE of the Quarter, yes, but not from the Quarter itself. I have a friend who lives at 1300 Royal and that's definitely inside the Quarter. La Maison is at 1400 Bourbon.

At any rate, all of the places I mentioned are walkable to the Quarter. I don't know Ashtons per se, but it looks fairly close (but a cab ride).

I forgot about Lafitte Guest House. Another good choice. I consider it more of a small hotel, though.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 04:49 PM

We stayed at International House (ihhotel.com) last month and loved it. Although it's not a b&b and it's not in the FQ, I highly recommend it. It's a very small hotel, it's in an excellent location one street off Canal, and the quality is remarkable for the price (think plush robes, marble bathrooms, Aveda toiletries for $99 for superior room, $149 for deluxe room.) The lobby is candlelit every night and the furniture is in crisp white slipcovers.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:14 AM

We stayed at La Maison Marigny last year. At first I was a bit dismayed to see that it was located on the other side of Esplanade from the Quarter. Just barely on the other side, maybe two houses or so. Anyway, it turned out to be a great location. Lots of pedestrain traffic, never felt unsafe. Easy walk to either the center of the Quarter or to the bars/restaurants on Frenchman.

It's a wonderful place.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the thoughtful replies. We are thinking B&B or small hotel because my husband both travel quite a bit for business are are tired of traditional hotels. We would like to do a lot of walking, and if the weather is similar to S. Florida where we are from, it shouldn't be a problem.
Are the areas suggesting okay without a car?
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:34 AM
Dan

Yeah, definitely don't need a car, cathleenm. Cabs are easy, cheap and available.

I was thinking that Wayne may have Esplanade and Elysian Fields confused. Elysian is indeed a few blocks from the Quarter but still easy walking distance.

The Marigny area is where most B&Bs are in this area and it's become a "hot" neighborhood in the past 10 or so years.

You can try the B&B association website, www.bbnola.com and search all the Marigny B&Bs. There are about 20 and many look very nice.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:35 AM

Dan--YOU might have defined Esplanade as the border of the FQ, but your personal definition doesn't count. Even the website of La Maison Marigny says it is located outside the FQ. I don't know that there is, or ever has been, any official designation of FQ boundaries, but I do know very well what those boundaries are interpreted to be, and they do not include Esplanade.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:42 AM
Dan

My "personal" definition? Are you kidding me with this?

It's pretty much assumed by EVERYONE that the French Quarter runs from Canal to Esplanade, from Rampart to the river.

How do YOU define it? I'm very curious now.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:43 AM
Dan

Just an FYI, click the map:

http://www.frenchquarter.com/?file=map.html#
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:50 AM
Dan

Wayne, I do stand corrected. Hence the name, La Maison Marigny is actually in the Marigny at the FQ's Esplanade border, as Jean stated. My bad.