Search

Breakfast in New York

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breakfast in New York

Hi
I'm going to be in New York with my extended family in early April next year. The party consists of 6 adults and 4 kids (aged from 1 to 6).
We want to have a traditional US breakfast (stack, eggs, bacon, hash browns etc) in a fairly traditional diner. It doesn't need to be fancy, just the kind of place the locals would go.
We are staying at Times Square and would prefer somewhere within walking distance.
Thanks
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 05:06 AM

Three diners that come to mind near your hotel are the Cosmic Diner at 8th Ave near 53rd St., the Renaissance Diner on 9th Ave Btwn 51st & 52nd (they have a covered/heated back patio that would be perfect for your large group!) and the Red Flame Diner on West 44th btwn 5th & 6th Ave (near the Algonquin Hotel)

All of the above will have traditional US breakfast food and are reasonably priced.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 05:36 AM

Neil & Margo: please note that the Red Flame had been closed the last time I passed there (a month ago) for renovations (?) so call before you go.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 06:53 AM

Most locals do not have sit down breakfast in the Times Square area since they don't live there. These diners are all fine, but you'll likely find more tourists than locals in them because of the location.

If you really want a local place, go to a neighborhood where people live. Menupages.com has diners/coffee shops listed by area.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 08:44 AM

Here's another recommendation for menupages - excellent for locating dining possibilities.

Times Square is a large area. But, no matter which direction you head, there are quintessential "coffee shops" all over. Breakfast is usually cheap and generous. We've never had a bad one.

For something a bit more upscale, but still reasonably priced, one of our favorite breakfast spots is Metro Marche right in Port Authority. You can see photos and the menu on their website. The Red Flannel Hash is fantastic. Breakfast here is so good and the surroundings are so pleasant, we often go out of our way to start the day there. AND, on the way out, the take-away area is terrific for picking up snacks, sandwiches, salads, etc., for picnicing later.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 08:54 AM

I hate to disillusion you - but that's not a tradiitonal US brekfast and definitely not a New York breakfast.

The latter is typically a bagel and schmear or egg on a roll wth coffe while on the go.

You can find what you've described at any coffe shop - not Starbucks - but diner-type coffee shop. If you can possible manage to eat it all.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 07:15 PM

You might try Cafe Edison, in the Edison Hotel on 47th. I've only been for lunch (good grilled cheese!), but they do have breakfast food. It has a "diner" feel and the food is pretty tasty. This is not fancy, but might satisfy your diner craving.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 09:35 PM

Westway Diner on 44th St. and 9th Avenue is just a few blocks away from Times Square. Diners usually serve breakfast all day long, so you don't need to rush to get there in the morning. This diner is decent and not too fancy, so you'll get a taste of a place that isn't too touristy.
http://www.menupages.com/restaurantd...taurantid=3891

The Galaxy Diner a couple of blocks north on 9th Avenue is also pretty good - not spectacular, but good.
http://www.menupages.com/restaurantd...=0&cuisineid=0

Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 09:31 AM

The only place to have breakfast in NYC for visitors is at Normas at Le Parker Meridien! Very pricey, but totally worth the splurge!
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM

HI. I suggest you to have a tipical NY breakfast: Bagels with cream cheese and Lox. One of the best places for this kind of breakfast is Daniel's Bagels. They are on third Avenue and I think is near 38th or 39th St. (Third Avneue is also a very nice area to walk)They have the best bagel I ever tried.
Enjoy!
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 03:10 PM

ITA with having bagels. I loved Ess-a-Bagels, though I don't see one near where you are staying. You can check menupages.com under Bagels, then by Neighborhood.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 04:04 PM

I recommend the Red Flame Diner on W. 44th St. - a few doors down from the Algonquin. Great diner food at very reasonable prices in a central location. Very popular.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 05:02 PM

We liked this place very much and felt it had the kind of New York coffee shop/diner ambience that we enjoyed and we had a good breakfast there too. Not right in Times Square at all, but not that long of a walk. Some people on this board like it and some do not, but we did.

Park Cafe 861 7th Ave, New York
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 06:35 PM

Couldn't agree more about Norma's. Eating there again tomorrow!!
http://normasnyc.com/eat1.php
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 06:41 AM

Ooooh, rogfam, you are making me (nostagically) recall several trips to NYC in the late 80s, early 90s when we were able to book really good bed and breakfast wknd rates at the Meiridien. The breakfasts were fabulous! (Not called Norma's back then, some French name...)

However, the OP wants a diner. You are describing a wonderful splurge, as opposed to the "fairly traditional diner" of eggs, bacon, etc that is requested. Also, their party including 4 kids ages 1-6 make such luxury less able to be appreciated, IMO.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 07:07 AM

I've eaten at all three places Margo mentioned -- which are fine.

But here's the best "hole in the wall, coffee shop, diner place" near Times Square, in my book. At the corner of 8th Avenue and 44th Street, on the west side of the street is a coffee shop -- double space facade. I'm thinking it is called Joe's or something equally simple. Some people say that New Yorkers don't eat traditional breakfasts. Let them speak for themselves. This place is filled with policeman every morning, and sometimes fireman too eating huge breakfasts just like you describe. It's also cheap.

A block further west on 9th Avenue between 43 and 44th is Westway Diner -- very popular and good.

And for the record, since it's New York, I suggest corned beef hash with eggs (skip the bacon) -- my favorite in NYC.

One tip. Do NOT eat at Roxie's which is right by Times Square on Broadway. That's the place where I showed the rude waitress the lipstick on my waterglass and asked for a clean one. She insisted it was just a mark on the glass so I wiped it off with my finger, showed it to her, and she stormed off and refused to serve us. And for the record, no I didn't use THAT finger -- but I should have.