Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help!! Last minute questions for New York City. Leaving in the morning.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just gettng ready for bed and have a hundred things going through my head. I want this trip to be a great introduction to New York for my friend. We don't want to spend a fortune on meals, maybe a couple of nice dinners.
SO, can anyone tell me if there is a small grocery store neat the Barclay Hotel , E 48th near Park? And perhaps a good deli ...and a good small bagel shop for breakfast.

Thanks for any last minute help....
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:33 PM

Relax. NYC has zillions of delis and small convenience stores ("bodegas"). Just walk east from your hotel to the more residential area. You'll find tons of options.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:35 PM

That isn't really a residential neighborhood. So no, I can't think of any grocery stores near the Barclay Intercontinental. There are, however, some small delis nearby. You'll need to walk east toward Lexington Ave. There is a Pax deli on Lex b/t 51 and 52. Good, inexpensive salads, sandwiches, breakfast, etc. You can certainly get bagels there. But for a real "bagel shop," try Ess-a-Bagel at 50 on 3rd Ave.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, thank you. I appreciate the information.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 02:47 AM

Don't know if you have left yet, but for breakfast you might want to try Midtown Restaurant at 155 East 55th (btwn 3rd & Lex). Very casual, reasonably priced, lots of choices for breakfast, and in nice weather the tall windows open to the street and if you sit up front it's like eating out.

I'm one of the few people who wasn't really impressed with Essa-Bagel. The coffee was awful and the restaurant was like eating in a train station because it was so busy/crowded with people rushing to order at the counter and zipping back out to get to work. Table choices were near the door or near the crowd waiting to order and go. In the restaurant's defense it is probably more of a take out place, I think we would have enjoyed it more if we had ordered our Bagel to-go (it was good) and grabbed a coffee somewhere else and gone back to eat at the hotel. But it was an NYC experience and the bagel was decent!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

thank you grantop, we are just leaving...so I'm glad I checked here one more time...

and away we go... very excited.