Search

HELP with my sanibel questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP with my sanibel questions

Hi guys,
I've posted twice and just wanted some input on Sanibel and Captiva. Always had good luck with Fodors re: other destinations and trips, but somehow this query doesn't seem to be noticed. Just want to know, really, how the hurricane renovations are going. had other questions, but this is the most critical one....
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:04 AM
bonniebroad

kflodin, we were on Sanibel/Captiva last June, and found it beautiful, and we had a wonderful time, can't wait to go back. The hurricanes that happened since did not really damage that area, to my knowledge. I know there was much damage from previous hurricanes, but they seemed well on their way to righting all that. (A few places still closed ...)

We went there for beautiful beaches/calm water, shelling, fabulous food and wildlife, and that's just what we got. My nieces, who live in Ocala and St. Pete, tells me that April/May is the best time for the beach in Florida! Hope this helps ...

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:22 AM

kflodin, I read your other posts about Sanibel and will help you with those. I haven't been back since the hurricanes so I can't help you with that info.

Anyhow, I've been to Sanibel at least 6 or 7 times in April, and the weather is just beautiful. Warm and sunny, but not yet awfully humid. The shelling is great. The best place to collect shells is at San-Cap beach where the short bridge connects Sanibel and Captiva. The Captiva side of the bridge is the best area to collect large amounts of shells. They wash up into huge piles there. But the whole island is great for shelling really.

I'm not a gourmet foodie, but I've liked most of the restaurants I've eaten in on Sanibel. I live in Buffalo, so the fresh seafood served in all the restaurants tastes so good to me that I'm not all that fussy. You (and the kids) might get get a kick out of the Lazy Flamingo (the original one closer to Captiva). It's sort of like a seafood shack with rolls of paper towels on the table.

You can ride bikes, visit the Ding Darling preserve to view wildlife, and shop! There are some very nice (and somewhat upscale) shops in Periwinkle Place and others. There are some fun, funky shops in the same building as the grocery store....I can't think of the name....but it's the only grocery store on the island so you'll find it.

If you're going at Easter time, you may have to deal with traffic on the bridge (and the island as well).

Off island you may enjoy the Ford/Edison estates. They are very interesting and the Thomas Edison museum is good too. He invented a lot more things than I knew about! There's a HUGE banyan tree in the parking lot...the 2nd largest in the world I think. It's amazing. I've never seen anything like it.

It's a short drive from Naples. I can't help you with hotels, as I always stayed in a condominium near the causeway.

Sanibel is a very low key, wonderful family vacation!

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:34 AM
bonniebroad

BuffaloGirl, actually, there are now two major grocery stores on Sanibel (we frequented both last summer) as well as several smaller markets and convenience stores... (and there's The Island Store on Captiva Island. It carries almost everything you need from fresh produce to sunscreen to cocktails.) In many cases the prices are competitive with those on the mainland, especially for "staple" items.

After hearing so much about the shelling on Sanibel, I was a wee bit disappointed by the (lack of) variety. There WERE *ba-zillions*, especially at San-Cap beach, as you mention, BG,.....

One of our very favorite restaurants on Sanibel was The Timbers/Sanibel Grill ( http://www.prawnbroker.com/thetimbers/ .) We went there three nights, everything was so fabulous. Also loved The Island Cow ... in fact, didn't eat anywhere there that was disappointing.

We so enjoyed the Ding Darling preserve ... looking forward to going back. In fact, I liked just about everything about Sanibel/Captiva!

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:51 PM

Bonniebroad, I haven't been to Sanibel in a few years....guess I have some catching up to do!

And yes, Timbers is very good.

I'd love to be there right now!
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:10 PM

We went last July and it was great.
We stayed at the Sundial Beach Resort, and they actually were not quite finished with renovations (restaurants & a few other things not quite open) but it didn't hamper our stay any.
Other than the resort still finished up renovations, I can't think of any other problems.
We had a great time!
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Slw

We were on Sanibel last May. The island is in great shape. If you have not been there before you will not realize the damage. One of our favorite beaches is Blind Pass. We also like the restaurant near there - Sunset Grill. We have not stayed at the motel you mentioned in an earlier post but have stayed near there and it looks OK from the outside. Most of the motels are older and dated but in good locations and OK.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, everyone! I'm going to do a little more research and post with more specific ?s as I hone the trip down. Always find folks on these boards so helpful.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:40 PM

I am going to Sanibel in May, wife no kids..we decided between sundial or sanibel harbour...what resort would be the better choice?
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:30 PM

Sanibel Harbour Resort is not actually on the Sanibel. It is a resort that overlooks the bay just before you cross the bridge to the island. Between the two, I would definitely choose Sundial because it is gulffront on Sanibel.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Neopolitan

I agree very strongly with that last statement. I'd be soooo disappointed to travel to Sanibel and find myself not even on the island, but having to cross the bridge and go through the tollbooth everytime I wanted to go to Sanibel. Being on the River on the mainland is nothing like being on the beach at Sanibel.

Incidentally, construction on the new causeway/bridge system is causing some significant delays getting to and from Sanibel. Just so you are prepared for that possibility.

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 05:03 AM

kyle96: (I've seen your questions on all the recent Sanibel resort posts)

I've never stayed at the Sundial, but it sure does look nice on the website. The big plus is that it is directly on a beach on Sanibel Island. That would be the deciding factor for me.

Having said that, I have stayed at the Sanibel Harbour Resort many times. (Why, if I would prefer the beach? I had the opportunity to stay in a beautiful condo for FREE, thanks to a benevolant SIL.)

In its' defense, the SHR is a beautiful property. The grounds are immaculate and very lush and tropical. There are several pools, and the sunsets are beautiful. There are several restaurants to choose from.

There is a small, picturesque beach...not right in front of the hotel but just a few yards down toward the condo towers. The water isn't as pretty or clear as it is on Sanibel because it is on the bay. But the beach is a very nice, quiet, private place to lay under a palm tree and when the tide is out, the water is quite clear and warm. I have spent many afternoons in that water.

The hotel has a nice spa, too. And, they used to have a trolly service that dropped you off at lighthouse beach. Otherwise, you do have to drive over the causeway. It's a very quick jaunt.

Again, if I had a choice I would choose a beachfront place directly on Sanibel. But if that doesn't work out for you, the Sanibel Harbor will meet all your needs and them some.

Have fun whatever you decide!