Search

Boston-NYC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Katie

Boston-NYC

Takimg Amtrak from Boston to NYC during the holiday, which is better:

1) business class on a regular train (other seats are unreserved)

2) business class on Acela train (which is the least expensive class

Anyone know the differences? Recommendations?

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 03:06 PM
r-travels

Business class guarantees you'll have a seat. It will be the same type of seat as in coach, but you will receive complimentary non-alc. beverage. Usually the Business class seating is on one end or the other of the train, so people from coach will (or should not be) walking through your car, so it tends to be quieter too. On the #66/67 trains, I think the seats are spaced a little further from each other as well than in coach - or at least it seems. Most Bus. class tickets seem to be $36 extra for the routes I've taken.

Acela is the new, deluxe, faster (not by much) train with more amenities. Lumbar (sp?) support on the seats, outlets for each seat, tray tables that will support a notebook pc. I've not used it, as too many articles I've read says it is not a good price:value ratio.

Go business on regular is my advice.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Jen

Nowadays, very few of the trips are NOT Acela. But there is an Acela Express and Acela Regional. The latter makes a few stops, takes about a half-hour longer, and costs FAR less. Some trips (e.g., the 195), the coach seats are reserved. You sorta have to check each of the available trains.

IMHO, a reserved seat on the Acela Regional is the best value for Boston-NYC. As has been pointed out, the rserved section is much calmer -- not only because it gets less pedestrian traffic, but because families with youngchildren, and collegestudents, are less likely to use it. (My apologies if you represent either group.)

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 03:30 PM
r-travels

The new president of Amtrak (Gunn?) has been having the "Acela" logos removed from the "regional" trains. They had been called "Northeast Direct" before Amtrak got on a renaming frenzy a few years ago ... but you are right, that train, whatever you want to call it, is the better deal. I do like the business class seating though for the overnight train, and any other time the coach might be filled.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 07:09 AM
lauren

it seems that the acela express (business) is just $30 more than acela regional business. Is it worth it if cost is not really an issue?

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 09:07 AM
suzanne

Depends how much your time is worth. The express is faster than the regional (by 1/2 hour? or so). The trains themselves are basically the same. Sometimes they use the newer trains for the express trips.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 02:00 PM
jake

Is time the only difference?