Which train car to board

Old Sep 8th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which train car to board

Will be traveling next month with the 2nd class European East Pass. Are the train cars clearly marked as which are 1st or 2nd class? I assume if so you jut get on any 2nd class car and claim a seat, correct. If they are all full you just stand untill the train makes a stop( the ones I will be using make plenty} where others might get off leaving a seat to claim, correct?
Thanks for any info
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 07:06 AM

Most train cars are prominently marked with either a large number 1 or a number 2 on the outside.

Some cars may have both First and Second class sections.

You can usually get into any 2nd Class car and claim any unreserved or unoccupied seat. Reserved seats are generally marked as such with paper tabs...if you are using local ("milk run") services I suspect reserved seats won't be an issue you'll have to deal with.

Have a great trip.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 11:25 AM

And of course you can always make a seat reservation if you want at the station for a few bucks - so if you find the crowds too much do that - but like Interpid says local trains often don't offer reserved seats. I would advise for the extra $68 for a five day flexi East European pass you opt for the first-class version as you'll then often have lots of empty seats to chose from - second-class seats, where most of locals travel, can often be quite full. The $68 extra would be a wise investment in my opinion. And if you're in 2nd class and tired of standing you can always go sit in first class and pay the difference in second and first class fares on the train - but if you do this be sure to contact the conductor before he finds you as he could, theoretically fine you for not having a first-class ticket - usually he will just tell you to move. But anyway in most Eastern European trains i've been on there is quite a bit of different between first- and second-class.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 11:40 AM

Be sure to check the sign on each train car, which gives the number. Sometimes part of a train goes on to the final destination at an intermediate stop but the other part doesn't.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 11:54 AM

Also just fyi sometimes even when you have reserved seats some passengers who have no reservations will take a chance and sit in your seats. It's happened to me and to others I observed. Just tell them you have a reserved seat and they will leave.