Boston hotels, Lenox or Hotel Marlowe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Boston for 3 days, first visit, mid-August. I am in the hospitality industry, and have been offered great industry rates at Lenox & Hotel Marlowe, with the Hotel Marlowe being the least expensive. Anyone know if there a big difference? I'm guessing Hotel Marlowe is not as convienient, but what I save there could be dinner each night, and I am on a tight budget. Thanks
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 11:05 AM

The Marlowe gets good reviews, but the location is very office/industrial, technically in Cambridge rather than Boston. Whereas the Lenox is in a nice convenient location for public transit and the usual tourist activities. So it's all up to your priorities.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 11:18 AM

I could not figure out why I had never heard of this hotel - did some research and found out it only opened this spring. So you may have difficulty finding people who have actually stayed there. There were several glowing reviews on tripadvisor - but I am skeptical of reviews immediately after a hotel opens - I often wonder if they are "plants"

That said, location is in Cambridge, not Boston, but just on the other side of the Charles River. You could walk across the bridge to Boston - but it would not really put you near anyplace you would be likely to visit. Still, the location gives you nice views of Charles River and is walking distance to MIT or Harvard Square (a much longer walk to Harvard than MIT).

Lenox Hotel is a perfect Boston location. So if you are willing to walk a fairly long distance and/or take a cab and/or walk a shorter distance to an MBTA stop and saving money is important - the info on the website looks like it is a very nice hotel.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 11:35 AM

Um, the walk from the Marlowe to Harvard Square would be 3 miles, though some of the least charming neighborhoods in Cambridge.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:17 PM

Actually, anonymous, you are correct - the walk is quite long. Must have been in my much younger days when I thought the walk was shorter - and it is actually 4 miles driving distance according to mapping programs I consulted.

I think if you stayed at Marlowe, best bet would be to factor cab fares into rate.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 05:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Staying at the Lenox will give you more time. You are next to Copley Square, Prudential Center and the best shopping area. Great restaurants. Everything minutes outside your door including the subway stop.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,
I think the Lenox will be the spot, looks like it is in the heart of the action.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:10 PM

The Fairmont at Copley Plaza is a great hotel too!
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:18 PM

In my opinion, you've made the best choice. Cambridge is NOT Boston, the "T" is awkward and unreliable from Hotel Marlowe (we stayed at the Royal Sonesta across the street a few months ago). Though Hotel Marlow seems charming and luxurious and reasonably priced, based upon my web searches, the neighborhood is not all that appealing, unless you plan to hang out exclusively at the Galleria, where each and every dining destination is mobbed beyond belief. And, ALL the electronic ticket booths, at the nearest "T" station we found, were out of order, there was NO ONE in the ticket booth, then the train which finally arrived after 40 minutes, and they're supposed to run ever 10, BROKE DOWN along the way. We were stuck in a tunnel for nearly an hour.

On the other hand, Hotel Lenox could not be more conveniently located. You can walk everywhere, take the "T", or grab the occasional taxi.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 06:34 AM

Regarding going from the Marlowe to Harvard Square:

While the shortest-distance walk (straight down Broadway) is not especially interesting (though in no way whatever unsafe), a slightly longer route would be along the banks on the Charles River. The latter route is lovely, with lots of open space and places to stop and rest whenever you feel like it.

Alternatively, one can walk (or take the free shuttle from the adjacent shopping mall) from the Marlowe to Kendall T station, which is 2 stops from Harvard Sq.

All that said, the Lenox is the more convenient location.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:35 PM

Agree with Rizzuto. Lenox has more outside its door. Marlowe is funky decor, good walking around the Charles River and short distance from Duck Tour and Museum of Science. Either is fine, but opt for the Lenox. Location.Location.Location!