Alyeska Prince Hotel-Alaska

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How far is the hotel from the railroad station in Girdwood? Does the hotel provide transportation? Their website doesn't give much information.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 04:54 PM

Yes they do provide transportation. In fact while staying there we took a very long hike and ended up about two or three miles away. We called the hotel and they came to pick us up -- no charge.
Sorry, I can't remember where the train station is -- but it can't be too far, and again the hotel will pick you up.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Patrick.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 07:52 AM

Hi Jane:

If you are going by Alaska Railroad to the Aleyeska, you must either tell the hotel in advance what time the train will arrive or have the guide on the Alaska Railroad call them from the train like they did for me. The station is in the middle of nowhere and there are no phones to call from there. I was the only person getting off the train that evening and everyone waived goodbye to me as I left!! Have fun. You will love Alaska.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Deborah
Do you know how we can get from the hotel to the airport the next day for a midnight flight--train, bus, taxi, shuttle? This is the missing piece of the puzzle!.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 08:21 AM

Yes, there was a shuttle service that I arranged through the Alaska RR, but I can't remember their name. I'm sure if you called the hotel, they would know their name or the Alaska RR might know the service too. Call this number 800-544-0552. The shuttle service was based in Anchorage. It takes about 45 minutes to drive to Anchorage from the hotel.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 09:06 AM

How was the hotel, rooms, food etc ? Were you happy with your stay there. We have booked to stay there in June.
Rea
Old May 22nd, 2003, 10:05 AM

Rooms are very small. In fact, you can hardly have 2 people in the bathroom if you want to open and close the bathroom door. It's AK's highest rated hotel. It's pretty average though. Much like a non-resort Marriott. Everything's overpriced in AK, so it's hard to measure value there.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 10:38 AM

I don't know what room rwilliams stayed in but our room was large with a very big bathroom, great view and service was excellent.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 10:56 AM

I agree with Gina, our room was great, large with a huge bathroom. I would definitely stay there again.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 04:03 PM

Our sta at the Alyeska Prince Hotel was one of the highlights of our 9-day trip to Alaska last September. Our room was spacious and very luxurious. It is one of the finest hotels we have stayed in, and we're seasoned travelers. Dining at the 7 Glaciers Restaurant at the top of the mountain is a true culinary experience, and the view is awesome! The staff were so good to us. I'm sure that they can make any arrangements you may need while you are there. Enjoy!
Old May 22nd, 2003, 04:40 PM

Our room faced back toward the mountain/ski slope, and was back by the retail area. My wife and I both commented how amazingly small the bathroom was and how, compared to the Anchorage Courtyard (a cookie cutter like all Courtyards) the Alyeska was a pretty big disappointment. Maybe they have different grades of standard rooms, but ours was most forgettable.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

ReaTraveller: We don't go until July. We did get a good rate of $199 (I thought) from their web site which includes 2 tram tickets. I still have not made arrangements for transportation from hotel to Anchorage airport (flight leaves at midnight!)
Old May 28th, 2003, 02:46 PM

Hi Jane:

Just got back from Alaska and it was wonderful as usual. I know there is a new shuttle company that started up to service the airport in Anchorage. I don't know if they go down to the Aleyeska, but you can call and ask. The name is Shuttleman and the number is (907) 677-8537. My room at the Aleyeska was great. The bathroom wasn't small. Good luck and let us know how your trip turns out.
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Deborah. I'll give them a call, and I'll report on the trip at the end of the trip--July 17.
Old May 30th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Hurray! I called "Shuttleman" and he will pick us up from the Alyeska Prince and deliver us to the Anchorage airport for $60 (which is $40 cheaper than anything else I could find). "Shuttleman" is a real friendly and helpful guy who said he covers the area around Anchorage. I'll give a report when we return in July. Thanks again, Deborah.
Old May 30th, 2003, 04:02 PM

You are very welcome. Have a great trip and tell us about it when you get back. I'm jealous and wish I could go again!!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 04:42 PM

Wondering if anyone has stayed at the Alyeska Prince recently. Jane B? What did you think of the hotel when you went in July? We have reservations for 2 days at the end of the Aug, but are becoming concerned due to negative reviews on other sites this summer (poor service, rooms looking worn) we still have time to cancel or change to 1 day if this really is overrated. Thanks.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, we had to cancel at the last minute, I fell on the deck of the ferry from Valdez to Seward, got off-loaded in Whittier and "ambulanced" to Anchorage where I received excellent medical care for my broken arm. We returned home early, so missed the Alyeska Hotel. I really am sorry not to have stayed there. I thought $199 for one night and 2 tram tickets was a great deal, considering the other prices in Alaska!!
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 04:59 PM

Jane B, sorry to hear you had to cut your trip short and hope the arm is healing fast. Well, we'll just take our chances and stick with the Alyeska.
Hopefully the weather will be kind to us too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -