Second thoughts on Boston hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am treating my mom to a 4-night trip to Boston from February 17-21. We are currently booked at the Radisson Hotel, partly due to a great rate, but also due to the centralized location.

However, I've been reading some reviews that make me doubt whether it's a good choice for us. Not about the hotel itself, because most of what I read is favorable, but about the location.

I anticipate that mom and I will be out later in the evenings, to dinner, shows, shopping, etc. I'm a little concerned about walking at night in the immediate area of the hotel, based on some things I've read.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether two women would be safe after dark in this area, or if we'd be better off in another area? How difficult is it to get taxis at night?

The only other Boston hotel I've stayed in the Millenium. I know it's busy there in the evenings, but the rate is higher than the Radisson. I'm also considering the Omni Parker House.

I don't want to give up a central location that's good for lots of walking, but I'm also conerned about safety after dark.

Thanks for any opinions - we are really excited about this trip!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:20 PM

The Radisson is well located. Where are you reading reviews that question the location? Have you read the reviews on TripAdvisor?

The location is only a couple of streets away from the Ritz and the Four Seasons.

We've stayed all over Boston and the location of the Radisson is just as safe as the Millennium or Omni Parker House.

If you're going to be walking late in the evening, it's always more convenient to stay in the same area as your dining/shopping destinations.

We've never had a problem getting a taxi in Boston.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM

The location is fine. My friends from California stayed there recently with their children and it is fine to walk home to that hotel in the dark - plus I am assuming you and your mom will not be heading home at 2am, when then it might be sketchy in a lot of places in a city.

The immediate area of that hotel includes the places djbooks mentioned, as well as One Charles Place, the Avila Restaurant (marvelous, owned by Davio's another great one you could walk to- also Troquet nearby on Boylston - many, many excellent restaurants a short, short walk away - within a block or less - : Excelsior, Via Matta, Aujord 'hui (afternoon tea there or at the Taj Ritz also nearby) across from the Transportation Center/ PF Changs, many of the theaters, and close to Boylston St and then Boston Public Garden and Boston Common

It is not difficult to get cabs in most areas, but do you have a cell phone? Call 618. 536.5100 Boston Cab, - you can call and order a cab ahead (for instance post dinner, etc if weather is sloppy) and you want to be sure. They call your cell when the driver is pulling up.

You will also find restaurants, valets, etc will all be of assistance if you need a taxi called.

Don't know what shows you are seeing, but you can easily walk to Radisson from many of Boston theaters
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Cassandra

The Radisson Boston's fine. (Any possibility you're thinking about the Radisson Cambridge, whose location isn't convenient?)

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 05:44 AM

we've stayed at that radisson boston before and the location is great! across the street is a legal seafod that served food late (which was convenient because we didn't make it to the hotel until around 11:30 and we were starving). We only stayed there one night and the rest of the time at Boston Plaza but that particular Radisson had sleep number beds and they are fantastic! The rooms are much bigger that Boston Plaza... I got the radisson through priceline and it was really a fantasic deal for one night.

Stayed at Sheraton Boston this last time and that was really convenient but also expensive.

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the info...we'll be sticking with the Radisson. The price can't be beat and we can spend our money on dining and sightseeing instead!