Search

Boston hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 11:29 AM
Danny Bored

Boston hotels

I'm headed to Boston for a business class at the JFK Federal Building on Congress Street in September and would appreciate some guidance on a hotel. I'm looking for a hotel with a mile radius of the site and am on a $160 per diem. The hotels are: Holiday Inn-Government Center, Omni Parker, Royal Sonesta, Lafayette Swiss, Boston Marriott Copley Plaza, Westin Copley Plaza, Copley Plaza, Radisson, Midtown, John Hancock Conference Center, Park Plaza, Holiday Inn(1200 Beacon), Holiday Inn (Grove St), Cambridge Center Marriott and the Hyatt Regency. Thanks!

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 11:42 AM
Leslie

Danny, suppose you are looking for opinions, best to worst, so here goes:

Westin
Marriott Copley Place
Cople Plaza
Swiss Hotel
Omni Parker House
Radisson

The Cambridge Center Marriott and the Hyatt Regency are both in Cambridge, and much further than a mile away.

The Holiday Inn on Grove Street is in Newton, and the one at 1200 Beacon Street, I think is in Brookline, both too far away.

Never heard of the John Hancock Conference Center, didn't know that there was a hotel in that building.

The Holiday Inn at Government Center, I believe is the Holiday Inn on Blossom Street, right near Massachusetts General Hospital.

No comments on the Midtown or Royal Sonesta, but I think the Royal Sonesta is also in Cambridge, but there might be one in Boston.

The hotels in Copley Square offer you a nice area to walk in during the evening, along with a great deal of shopping, and there are many nice restaurants nearby.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 11:44 AM
Leslie

Oops, that is Copley Plaza.

The hotels closest to Congress Street are the Omni Parker House, and the Le Meridien, which you did not mention.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 11:54 AM
bob

Hear the Omni Parker is very nice and can walk to everything. Can you walk to Long Wharf or is transportation required because of expressways?

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 11:55 AM
bob

Hear the Omni Parker is very nice and can walk to everything. Can you walk to Long Wharf or is transportation required because of expressways?

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 12:01 PM
Donna

The Omni Parker House is terrific. You can walk to Long Wharf from there. Our other favorite hotel in Boston is Le Meridien.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 12:05 PM
Leslie

The Omni Parker House is at the corner of Tremont and School Street, its about a 2 block walk to Congress Street, and about a 4 block walk to the Quincy Market. The Quincy Market to the Marriott Long Wharf is tops, about a 15 minute walk.

The Parker House originated the Parker House Rolls and Boston Cream Pie.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 03:08 PM
Jim Rosenberg

We found a VERY competitive rate for the Omni Parker House on www.quikbook.com several weeks ago for a "European double". I presume "European" translates to "small", but it's a great-looking building in a nice location and it would fit well within your per diem.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 10:37 PM

Topping for Danny.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 01:59 AM
Danny Bored

Mahalo to everyone for their quick response. I do want to get in a mile walk each way for my daily exercise so a mile or so away from the JFK Federal Building is not a problem. How's about suggestions for good solid food in the general area? I'm game for most any kind of food.