Search

Boston hotel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 10:23 PM
Danny Bored

Boston hotel

I'm not sure if my first message every got posted but here goes. I'm attending a class at the JFK Federal Building on Congress Street and need to pick a hotel from a list given to attendees. I'm looking for a hotel within a mile of the site since I enjoy walking to and from class. Hopefully the hotel will be near interesting sites since I'll be staying at the hotel for about a week. Here are the hotels: Holiday Inn-Government Center, Omni Parker, Royal Sonesta, Lafayette Swiss, Boston Marriott Copley Plaza, Westin Hotel Copley Plaza, Radisson, Midtown, John Hancock Conference Center, Park Plaza, Holiday Inn on Beacon Street, Holiday Inn on Grove Street, Cambridge Center Marriott and the Hyatt Regency. I'm hoping to stay within my $160 per diem. Any suggestions? Mahalo in advance.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 04:16 AM
Donna F

The Holiday Inn-Govt Ctr is convenient to a subway station plus it is within walking distance of the Quincy Market area. If you like walking I think it's a reasonable walk to the Federal Building. The two hotels in the Copley area are in great locations but you will want to take the subway to your conference. Any hotel would be fine as long as it's convenient to the subway which you will want to use to get to other places such as Harvard Square in Cambridge.
ttt so you can get more advice

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:05 AM
bennie

The JFK Building is in Government Center. Hence the Holiday Inn Goverment Center is the closest hotel (about a block at most). Other very close hotels are the Millenium Bostonian and the Omni Parker House. The Royal Sonesta is in Cambridge across the Charles River. You'd take the Red Line from Kendall Sq to Charles/MGH and walk up the hill.

The rest are not far but would take you a combination of walking and taking the subway. Hotels in the Copley Sq area (Sheraton, Marriott and Westin) would be a hike every morning.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Suzy

The Holiday Inn Government Center is the closest, but it is several blocks' walk up Cambridge Street (from Blossom Street neraly to City Hall). The Omni Parker House is also very close. In fact, looking over the list, I think the hotels might be listed in order of increasing distance from the Federal Building.

The Copley Square hotels are roughly 1.5 miles from the Federal Building, but the walk is very nice, through the Public Garden and Boston Common, plus they're handy by the T if the weather is bad (or if you're tired!).

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Suzy

As far as interesting location, the Omni Parker or the Copley area hotels would be much closer to shopping, tourist attractions, etc., the Omni being handy to Faneuil Hall and the Copley area being part of the Back Bay. The Holiday Inn Govt Center is handy only to Mass General Hospital!