Search

Bike the Big Apple

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bike the Big Apple

Has anyone taken any of these bike tours or any others to recommend?
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 02:20 AM

Considering traffic in NYC, maybe no one is alive to give trip report.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 06:46 AM

Am not familiar with these tours. But I live in Manhattan and would never ride a bike in traffic (I ride only the block from my aparrtment to the park - and that on a residential sidestreet).

Unless you are used to riding in heavy city traffic (and no, many drivers do not recognize your right to be on the street) this could be fatal - literally.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 06:49 AM

There is a nice bike path that runs along the Hudson all the way from Battery Park up to Riverside Park. You can stop for nice views of the Hudson. Some of the bike shops in NYC rent bikes. Toga Bikes and Gotham Bikes are two that come to mind.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Read this older post for more info

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34434181
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 01:33 PM

The website for the T.A.?s (Transportation Alternatives) "New York City Century Bike Tour 2004" ("America's only fully urban century ride) to be held Sunday September 12, 2004 is

http://www.transalt.org/calendar/century/index.html

(Choose Your Distance, Ride Your Pace
100, 75, 55, 35 and 15 mile routes )

Thousands of NYCd area cyclists commute to work every day by bicycle. Thousands take part in both this ride, and the ride hosted by HI/AYH - the "5 Boro Bike Ride"

In my opinion, the biggest danger in cycling in NYC on these days are not motor vehicles, but other incompetant bicyclists who fail to respect traffic laws and the rights of other road users, including cyclists & pedestrians.

These two rides are well organized (I helped a few years ago) and "jace", don't listen to the naysayers and others. Remember, many in Manhattan would not ride a subway or visit Harlem either. And like cycling in NYC, they all have gone, and returned unscathed as well.

If you are a reasonably competent cyclist and have attended other group rides - try these. Also, look into rideing with local bicycle clubs as well who may be having group rides. Check the websites at www.adventurecycling.org, www.bikeleague.org, or www.nybc.org for links to local clubs.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 05:36 PM

In my opinion, the biggest danger in cycling in NYC on these days are not motor vehicles, but other incompetant bicyclists who fail to respect traffic laws and the rights of other road users, including cyclists & pedestrians.

RB - Agree that this is certainly true. My car has been hit by bikes on two occasions and I have been almost hit several times while on foot - and a friend of mine was - although luckily she had no major injuries.

Most of the bike messangers and restaurant delivery people ride without any regard for the rules - running red lights, riding the wrong way on one-way streets and even riding on the sidewalk. Typcially their bikes have no lights, poor brakes, and they ride at night wearing all black clothing - so they're essentailly invisible - and then dart in and out of traffic at will.

Biking in the parks is fine - but I've seen way too many accidnets to be able to recommend riding on the street in Manhattan.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 12:07 PM

>"but I've seen way too many accidnets to be able to recommend riding on the street in Manhattan."

You mean in a car, right? <g>

The road-miles in Manhattan are usually minimal, and where there is, there are so many cyclists that there is a "calming" effect on traffic. A lot of the route makes use of "greenways" too. But still - really - bicycling in NYC is really not all that dangerous - but one does have to stay alert.

All those antics you describe by various cyclists is what hurts cycling in general and creates disrespect for law-abiding bicycle drivers. I hope (but doubt) you were able to get some financial satisfaction from the cyclists who struck you (assuming you were "legal"). I believe in holding errant cyclists responsible for their misdeeds as well as motorists.

I grant that if someone does not have "street" experience in smaller cities than NYC, then they should gain some before attempting a large ride such as these. We have no indication of "jace"'s abilities .... but really, these two rides, and others, go on each year with a minimum of incidents. Happy Trails and may the wind at your back never be your own! < g >

Old Jun 20th, 2004, 05:01 PM

Jace asked about bike TOURS, not what biking is like in Manhattan traffic. Though I have not taken a "Bike the Big Apple" tour (though I've seen them pass through my 'hood) I know that they are on streets/paths with little to no vehicle traffic, and most of the tours take place in the outer boroughs. Honestly, your biggest problem will be dodging tourists walking over the Brooklyn Bridge because there are a few who don't pay attention to their surroundings and wander over into the bike lane.

I love biking in NYC...it's my favorite activity. There is so much to see from a bike. And the bike paths around here just keep on being lengthened and improved. If you love biking too, then I highly recommend you do some here, in some form! You could rent one from Hudson River Park or Central Park and just follow the paths for miles and miles...