Search

NYC bike rentals?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
ppm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC bike rentals?

My husband and I will be in NYC this May. We will be staying in UWS. We are interested in renting bicyles during our stay. Are there any shops that you locals would recommend?
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
GoTravel

This is the only place I've ever heard of but I've never used them because someone told me they didn't take care of their bikes.

http://www.centralparkbiketour.com/

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:15 PM

I assume you mean to ride them in Central Park or Riverside Park - I wouldn't attempt the streets unless you're used to riding in VERY heavy city traffic.

You can rent right at the boathouse in Central Park:

www.thecentralparkboathouse.com/
sections/boats.htm

There's also one on 96th near Broadway - better for Riverside Park - don;t know the name but you should be able to google it.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 06:10 PM

There are a number of different places around the city to rent a bike and several different bike tours. In the park will be the most expensive, but I agree it's the safest place to ride. Here's a link with a few options

http://gonyc.about.com/od/biketoursa..._York_City.htm

There is a bike tour that goes over the Brooklyn bridge that's always sounded great.

http://gonyc.about.com/od/biketoursa..._big_apple.htm
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:54 AM
ppm
Original Poster

Thank you for the recommendations!

(Several years ago, when we lived in MA, my husband and I drove down to participate in Bike NY. Afterwards, we took a detour across the Brooklyn Bridge. My helmet was not all the way secured and out of nowhere came a huge guest of wind. My helmet flew off and as I was attempting to catch the end of the strap, my bike got tangled up and I unceremoniously crashed. Quite frightening (given several other cyclists were behind me, thankfully no one else was hurt) so I got an uneasy feeling when you suggested biking over BB).
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 05:15 AM

You can certainly rent bikes in Central Park and ride there safely. Under no circumstances should you attempt to ride on the streets. There's a bike-rental concession in the park.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 04:52 PM

I live on the UWS with my husband and two children. We bike all the time (including on the streets altho I'm not recommending that to a "novice"). One nice neighborhood spot to rent (less expensiveley and more conveniently than at the park concessions) is at Eddie's on Amsterdam Ave and W. 83rd St. The other place that was mentioned on W. 96th between Broadway and Amsterdam is Metro Bikes- that's fine too.

Aside from biking in Central Park, which is nice but is still just a loop, is the bike path along the Hudson River in Riverside Park. From the Upper West Side you can bike all the way up to the George Washington Bride (to the not-so-famous Little Red Light House) or all the way down to Batter Park City. with a little bit of street riding, you could also ride over the Brooklyn Bridge.

So these are one local's recommendations. See you in the 'hood.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 06:52 PM

I also live on the UWS and commute by bike all over the city.

I second the recommendation for Metro Bikes.

Bicycle Renaissanceat Columbus and 79th might also rent bikes. Any of the bike shops previously mentioned will also have maps which will indicate bike routes throughout the boroughs.

The lovely bike path that goes along the Hudson River continues from Battery Park City to the east side, but you will have to ride in the streets north of 34th street on the east side. If you 'do' your ride on a Sat or Sun, traffic won't be as scary and you could ride up 1st, 2nd or 3rd avenue until you hit 60th street and then continue west until you reach Central Park.

If you're feeling really truly adventurous, you could bike all the way to Coney Island, going over the BB Bridge. It'll take you about 3 hours from the UWS and you could take the subway back.

If you do a long bike trip and need to take the subway at any point, try not to do this on a weekday during rush hour. Just not a good idea.

And also, if you do find yourself riding in the streets of Manhattan, be especially cautious of taxis that have stopped (i.e; slow down to avoid potentially getting hit by a passenger opening a door) and buses.