Search

Big Bend

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Bend

When I was a girl (MANY moons ago), our family visited Big Bend almost yearly. There was a waterfall below the basin (on the Window side of the mountains) with a small pond--a ranger we'd gotten to know told my dad about it. We'd go down an unmarked, indistinct road to get there to swim. I don't remember anything else about it, but the last time I went at 19, the road was gated and locked. Does anyone know anything more about this? I'm just interested because it is such a great part of my childhood memories of family vacations, and I'd love to know if it's still there. Thanks!

I haven't seen the park in years, but we are planning a trip there for either this spring or next. I am sure it has changed drastically in 20+ years, but what I can expect?
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Another question: are any of the wrecked train cars still along the railroad track in Sanderson? They were rusty and it seemed like some disappeared each year even back then, so odds are against it. All of us kids loved hearing the story about them every year we stopped in Sanderson. Thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 10:10 AM

I haven't been to Big Bend in years. Maybe somebody else can help you.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Found out the rail cars have long since been cleaned up from the Big Flood of 1965 in Sanderson.

No one else remembers the waterfall?
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 12:39 PM

ttt...almost a year ago to the day. BG did you make it BB?
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 01:06 PM
TheWeasel

Hmmm....I missed this thread the first time around. BG, if you're talking about the falls I think you're talking about, swimming isn't allowed because of the delicate nature of the ecosystem. There's not even an official trail to the falls. The park service is trying to keep it very low-key to protect the area from overuse. The gate is there and is still locked - the road is an access road for the park service. Personally, I wish they'd put a gate up at the pavement and make everyone walk from there to keep more people out. I've heard of at least one tour bus that made the trip down the road, and I've seen numerous mentions of this particular place on the web so it's clearly getting more well-known. I was there early March last year, and the waterfall was fairly dry because of the drought.

Old Aug 1st, 2007, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

No, AnnMarie, we didn't make it there yet, but I'm pushing for a Sept trip this fall. We will be in Dallas anyway, so I'm trying to figure out a way to include BB . . . it's not exactly on the route from NO to Dallas. LOL DH wants to go, and we don't have a big vacation planned this year, so I think I may get my wish.

TheWeasel, thank you for your post. After reading it, I wish I wouldn't have mentioned the falls, but glad to know it's still there and protected. In the late 60s and early 70s, things were very different and few travelers made it to BB. We went yearly, so I guess that's why the ranger told my dad about the spot. The road/falls were not marked on maps even then. To me, a gate says "stay out" and I hate hearing even busses are going around it. Do they permit you to walk to it, or is that something people are doing on the sly? I'd love to show my DH, but wouldn't do it against park rules.

What activities, sights, etc, would you recommend for someone reconnecting with BB after some 25 years?

Thank you!

Old Aug 1st, 2007, 08:09 AM
TheWeasel

BG - I've seen the falls mentioned by name along with directions online, so don't worry too much about it. And I didn't mean to imply that a bus drove around the gate - rather, there is a small parking lot right before the gate, and it drove down the rough dirt road to get to that point, and then everyone hiked from there. I'd rather have that locked gate moved all the way to the beginning of the road and add a few miles onto the hike. Rangers aren't supposed to talk about the falls - I mentioned to one of them I'd been there and she lowered her voice a bit and asked how it was. But there is no policy of restricting access yet, unless there are bears in the area.

I'm sure the park has changed since you were there last, so it would be interesting to hear your impressions and observations when you get back. There was a prolonged drought starting about October of 05 through maybe May of 06 that may have altered things a bit, but it seems like the rain has returned so probably nothing too noticeable. And speaking of bears, that's probably something different for you. Some time in the 80s they returned to the park (mainly in the Chisos) by way of migrating up from Mexico. There's now a decent population, and there are occasional trail closures due to increased bear activity. I think most of that was during the drought as bears were forced to frequent certain areas with water more than they usually do.

I'm guessing some of the standard recommendations still hold true for things to see. Santa Elena canyon has a short trail leading into it, I think about a mile one-way. The Lost Mine trail in the Chisos is good - at least go a mile to the Juniper Canyon overlook (there's no sign but it's a pretty obvious spot). The trail to the Window is popular, although you have to keep in mind it's downhill on the way there so you have to hike up to get back.

A couple of spots I like are the old Sam Nail ranch and Dugout Wells. Neither is incredibly exciting but there are lots of birds and other critters because of the water. There's a short little walk down by Rio Grande Village that you access through the campground. The hot springs are still there, although I've never been to them because sitting in hot water isn't really my thing.

If you haven't already, look at their website: http://www.nps.gov/bibe
The webmaster has done an excellent job of keeping things up to date and provides lots of info. Make sure you find and look at the daily report, as it lists road closures and such. Right now the trail into Santa Elena is closed as there was a major storm recently that flooded things and washed out some areas.

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

My dad, brother, and BIL floated the entire bend of the Rio Grande in 1978 from Presidio to Boquillas before there were any commercial float trips. They were some of the few that had made it the whole way at that time. They had a couple of hairy experiences, and I don't think any of them would do the whole thing again.

I did an online search and was amazed how much is posted on the internet about Big Bend. I am really looking forward to seeing it again. I am disappointed that they no longer have the horse trips to the Window and South Rim. The south rim will be quite a hike, but I really want to try to get there. Incredible views of the Chihuahuan Desert! I'm not real wild about camping with rattlesnakes around so maybe we'll make the long haul in a day. Pipe dream?

It blows my mind that there are black bear there. LOL I wish my dad had lived long enough to see that!

Is the best place to stay still the stone cabins up the hill from the hotel?

I've been wondering how all the rains this summer have affected Big Bend. Next spring should be beautiful there.

Thanks so much for sharing so much information with me, TheWeasel!
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Bookmarking. Thinking of visiting in December.