Best priced hotels in Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a flight VIE-HNL-LAS-VIE for $800 in February. One week in Hawaii, 4 days in Vegas, then back to Vienna.
Sounds great, right, BUT are there inexpensive hotels or other places to stay on Hawaii, even Motel6's would do. Where on the internet is the best place to look? It seems to be rather easy to find something nice an inexpensive in Vegas, but Hawaii??

Thanks!
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 05:43 AM

Hi logos,
Great deal on the air!

Too bad Im there in January, I would pay to hear you lecture the hotel/restaraunt staffs on currency debasement upon receiving your tabs. Are you staying in Oahu, or heading to an outer island? What is an acceptable rate/nt? btw- where are you staying in Vegas?
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 05:49 AM

What's your budget? What are you willing to pay? Do you want to see the ocean? How much is your safety worth? Do you REALLY want to stay in a Motel 6? Have you considered a condo? suze is our resident budget Oahu traveler. Maybe she'll weigh in with some suggestions from her past trips.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Basically the whole thing will take two weeks only. Finding a place to sleep in Vegas shouldn't be a problem. Last time I stayed in a rather old (big) hotel with a parking house at Freemont street. Wasn't that good but inexpensive. It was only a three day trip, so jet-lagged, I slept during the day and strolled around at night. I wanted to see the Hofbräuhaus, but I figued it was too late and anyway I wouldn't risk drinking and driving.

At home, I'd spend 45€ per night for a nice place, so somewhere in that range in Hawaii would be ok, if possible. I really don't care that much about the money, but I'm not willing to pay rip-off prices for third class hotels. (So maybe I do care?) All I need is clean and safe. I'll rent a car and drive around during the day, so the area isn't that important. I can either be one place for a few days or another place every day. Beach would be good. Motel6 would be goot too as long as it doesn't smell in the room and the sheets are clean.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

>where are you staying in Vegas?
Just checked it, last time I stayed at the Plaza Hotel. It was ok, but now there should be better deals?

I've never been to Hawaii before, so so far, I didn't make any plans where to go and what to see. .

Any yes, any hotel staff can get free lectures on how to avoid losing everything they own, once the meltdown comes. . ;-)
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 06:49 AM

We stayed at Bally's and got upgraded to a HUGE suite for $79 a night. Great location mid strip.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 06:55 AM

45 Euros is only $61USD. Hawaii has a room tax of 11%, so you would be looking for an accomodation costing $54 or less.

February is peak season. There is a holiday in February that really brings the prices up.

$54 is about what a hostel will cost in Hawaii in February. You need to start looking at www.alternative-hawaii.com. You might want to also look at www.vrbo.com Your best price will be for a weekly rate. Unfortunately, accomodations that cheap in Hawaii in peak season will be near areas of drug sales, theft, and bugs. Try doubling that budget to get a liveable place.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 07:52 AM

Check the web specials for the Sand Villa budget hotel. Much nicer than a motel 6, with free shuttle from the airport.

www.sandvillahotel.com

If you can plan accordingly, Las Vegas bargains pop up Sundays through Thursdays with Fri and Sat rates double or triple. Don't stay at a motel 6 or Days inn in Las Vegas, there are much nicer accomodations available at bargain rates. Orleans Hotel has some rooms with a great view of the strip and with a free shuttle to the strip every 30 minutes. Last week they were advertising $35 rooms Sun-Thurs.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 04:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
In Waikiki, I really liked Waikiki Sand Villa, exactly as mentioned in the post above. I got it for $67/night last November, stayed 10 days, and that was for their top room class (top floor of the hotel). It included free round-trip airport transportation because I stayed more than 4 days. It is a GREAT value imho. You can see my review of it over on Trip Advisor ('suze2you').
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 04:42 PM

The Royal Grove is another decent budget place in central Waikiki, if you want a kitchen ($75-85). The Breakers on BeachWalk is a bit more but nice and near the beach (~$125).

Aston Joy is another I've looked at in person & it seemed good, but have not actually stayed there myself yet (~$100). White Sand is the old Celebrity Resort, again I've only peaked in not stayed there yet myself.

I think for budget hotels, staying on Oahu in the Honolulu/Waikiki area has the most choices, more than any of the other islands.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 04:47 PM

logos~ Truly no need to stay at a Motel 6 (I don't even think there are any). If I were booking a trip today, I'd go back to Sand Villa, in a heart-beat. I *love* that hotel. Six free computers with internet in a nice hospitality room. Rooms all have an undercounter frig, coffee maker, safe, lanai (balcony). 1/2 the hotel overlooks the Ala Wai canal, the other side faces down toward DiamondHead. Ice machines every-other floor. Loan of pool/beach towels from the front desk. "Sand Bar" restaurant & bar off the lobby is very good and cheap. There's a free continental breakfast but it is pretty lame and I was happier eating tropical fruit from the grocery store with great Hawaiian coffee I made in the room.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 06:27 PM

Are you staying in Honolulu or one of the other islands? If this is your first time in Hawaii, I would say stick to one island if you're only going to be there a week, and try to bump up your budget a bit. You don't want a fleabag hotel or be too far from the beach, and at $65 a night, you're probably in that range. Hawaii is not cheap, but if you're looking for bargains, Priceline could be your friend.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 06:30 PM

<You don't want a fleabag hotel or be too far from the beach, and at $65 a night, you're probably in that range.>

Not in Waikiki you are not. Not at the hotels I just suggested.

Since he's only got one week and is flying into Honolulu and money is somewhat of a concern, I highly suggest staying only on the island of Oahu.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 06:32 PM

www.waikikisandvillahotel.com
www.royalgrovehotel.com
www.breakers-hawaii.com
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 02:43 AM
pic

I would recommend VRBO.com (vacation rentals by owner), the last few times we traveled inter-island (we live on Maui) we found nice, affordable places.
Oahu has a good bus system, you can call (808) 848-5555 and they'll tell you which bus to take to get wherever you're going. There are rental places in Waikiki too, so you can opt to just rent a car for a longer day trip, if you're trying to save $.
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Suze and thanks everybody!
Sandvilla looks reasonable. Right now, they don't have specials for February. I'll wait a few more days and look again. Staying on one island may be best. It's only a week.
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 04:38 PM

I'm tellin' you to maximize this trip, staying on Oahu will suit you best, and give you a good value. Anything else involves another interisland flight, you need a car, and most likely a more expensive hotel.