Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is it hard to find last minute lodging in Hawaii?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although our trip has been postponed for a month or two, my husband and I are thinking of visiting Hawaii. Since seeing the volcano is a must, we will be visiting the Big Island, and I'm thinking maybe Oahu also. My question is this: Since we typically just "go with the flow" when we're traveling and stop whenever we get ready, will it be hard to find lodging each night if we don't have reservations? I've been reading the threads about places to stay, and have really gotten some great tips. Thanks to all of you! But nothing says whether or not there is plentiful lodging and whether or not reservations are a must!
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 02:32 PM

I've always done Hawaii last minute many times and have never had a problem. Hawaii tourism is way down (the hotel I stayed at in October was only at 60% occupancy and that included a large convention) which is bad for the Hawaiian economy but good for go-with-the-flow-ers like you.

You will love the volcano on the big island. Seeing it from a helicopter is unreal. I went with Blue Hawaiian last time and the pilot knew exactly where to find the live lava flows. Amazing to see the molten hot red lava pouring into the ocean. But, there isn't much else to do on the big island unless you are into hiking and enjoying the natural beauty of the islands. Enjoy! Hawaii is one of my favorite places.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 03:08 PM

"Find lodging each night" ?

Do you really mean to arrive without reservations and spend your precious time on Hawaii driving around and walking into places to negotiate a place to stay? Really inefficient to me.

Spend a night in the Volcano area and several nights along the sunny Kohala coast beaches.

You will get the best rate with reservations. Go to www.tripadvisor.com to see what other people recommmend.

I can think of nothing more annoying than arriving in Hawaii and having to drive around to find accomodations when I could have everything all set before I arrive.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 03:28 PM

What if you actually happen to be in Oahu during their biggest convention/festival/room filler of the year? You could very well be SOL and do you really want to waste your time in Hawaii chasing down a hotel room?

Also, last minute rooms are usually full rack rate. You could save hundreds by booking ahead.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I suppose it can be done, but I'd certain do quite a bit of research in advance, find the kinds of places you'd like to stay, call ahead to see their rates and vacancies, etc. I can't imagine just going in with no idea whatsoever. Especially with two different islands involved. On Oahu the majority of the hotel rooms are in the Waikiki area.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help! Our reason for not making reservations is that when we travel, we often find that we don't enjoy a particular place as much as we thought we would, or often we are just passing through someplace and decide we want to stay for a day or two. I have learned the hard way to have reservations near the airport for first day in and last day out! LOL!
danna
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 10:53 AM

We have friends that travel your way and did not have any problems in Hawaii. You just may not get the exact place you want, but they always find something.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 05:11 PM

Roomsavers lists both Hilton Hawaiian Village and Hilton Waikoloa Village. Go to http://tinyurl.com/lvsc5r Might be worth noting....
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 08:41 PM

There is no way I would go to Hawaii and start trusting that hotel/motel rooms are available...yes, the economy is down and Hawaii is not to full occupancy..better for all us getting 4-5* hotel rooms for super cheap..expedia and other websites have tons of pictures to make a rational decision.
Sorry, but that is something maybe you do out of high school..you make sure you get a nice place that you have researched and book it..if you don't like the room..take it up with the GM..
Like GoT and others have stated..being in Vegas while there is the biggest convention in town and every hotel and flea bitten motel is taken..and you are sh*t out of luck..
Things happen in Hawaii too!
It happened to me in Vegas and Hawaii and I be damned if I am ever in that situation again!
Please learn from our mistakes..
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 08:56 PM

btw, Kilauea is making news the last few days...

http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/blogs/...ano_geologists
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 09:08 PM

Every volcanologist will be out in force descended on Hawaii!
The heck with those conventioneers!
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 09:03 AM

Hotels near airports in Hawaii are uniformly awful. Most nicer hotels are not a long drive from the airport, and there is just no need to stay near the airport.

There are some great hotels that have good specials on now. Why wouldn't you take advantage of those good deals and not have to worry about finding lodging at the last minute?
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

I think I've decided that since the islands are small enough to pretty much drive in a day, I'm going to book a total ot 3 rooms, different areas, and if we don't like them, we'll just have to move. Thanks for all the input guys!
dannaW
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 05:23 PM

Let's review..
You're staying on the Big Island of Hawaii and you are booking a total of 3 rooms in different areas and if you don't like them, we'll just have to move..
Are you high?
No offense, but the Big Island is HUGE and isn't a hop skip and a jump to the next block..
Even if you are staying in Maui, O'ahu or Kauai..
I am not understanding your logic whatsoever..
That is why you do your research on great forums like this one..
Not to say, that we all haven't been burned by a room that the picture didn't match what you got but that is when you get a hold of a GM and tell them you are not happy with your room and what are they going to do about it?

I would really love to know your thought process danna..
I'm not seeing it and if you could explain..maybe I will!
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 07:08 PM

I am really unclear on why there is so much difficulty understanding this! Why the "hate"?
I'm with Danna! What's the problem with arriving somewhere and then seeing if you enjoy it? Danna's willing to take the chance rather than be stuck with accommodations or an area that's just not what she wants. It's her vacation.
Good for you Danna!
I've always referred to myself as a "bolter".
I don't like it, I leave. I'm just not as bold as Danna!!
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 07:19 PM

No hate..just an idiotic way to travel..imho

If there was no internet for the last 20 years..with all the great travel websites with lots of pictures and tons of information...maybe danna would have a valid point..

Why use Fodor's then?

Let's spend all day moving from motel room to motel room..

Am I being Punked?
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 08:20 PM

no need to make it all about you ksuscat, I think you are being unnecessarily mean and a poor host for fodors.

Live and let live.

I would book a night for the volcano, as oprions may be limited, unless you base in Hilo.
I would do some homework now, and bring a list of possible places to stay and their contact information.

Definately book you car rentals in advance! You can always sleep in your car!
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 08:41 PM

Please gyppie/sistalou..this isn't about me at all!

I have lived in the islands for the last 40+ years..and you?

who books 3 places so they can bolt from each one?
Let me guess..you do this all the time, gyppie?

When Kilauea goes off..there is no room anywhere on the island...and you will be charged on the other rooms..trust me.
I'm all for let live and be free but I have in all my travails, never ever heard of doing this..especially in Hawaii..

Just my two Aloha cents!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 09:46 PM

I just talked to my friend who's at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, and despite all the gloomy predictions, they are currently sold out through November.

There are always rooms in Hawaii, as long as you aren't picky about price or location. A bigger problem can be getting a rental car if you arrive during a big convention, triathalon, Aloha festivals, or on the Big Island of Hawaii when the volcano starts getting dramatic.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:43 AM

A friend recently extended her stay on Kauai a few nights at the Hyatt. They quoted her a $450 rate, and was also told that there were no garden rooms available -she declined, walked to her car and booked it online for about $250 and then was upgraded to oceanfront as the lowest rooms were sold out. So booking online is always a good option to consider, regardless of your travel style.

I'm sorry ksucat for misinterpreting your tone as offensive when you inferred that the OP was acting highschoolish and foolish for having a travel style in which you don't approve or understand. Of course your intent was to be helpful. How nice that you have lived on the islands for 40 years, which of course makes your advice far superior to a mere visitor, such as myself. My bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -