Best hotel or B&B in Austin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will spend a long weekend in Austin in January, and wonder which is the best hotel or B&B to stay in. We're especially interested in finding the best location -- something that's close to shops, restaurants, and clubs.

Thanks,
Teresa
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 10:32 AM

I got an e-mail from the Four Seasons in Austin. They have special rates during January (here are the dates that I copied, Dec 16, 2005 - Jan 8, 2006) for $195/night. I think it overlooks a lake but I do think they may have some sort of shuttle service.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 10:42 AM
P_M

The Four Seasons is very nice and it overlooks Town Lake (which is actually a river). It is within walking distance of numerous bars and restaurants.

If you want to be right where the action is, then check out another Austin favorite which is the Driskill. The Driskill sits right on 6th street which is the heart of Austin's entertainment district. It's a very old and historic hotel, and it's bursting with charm.

http://www.driskillhotel.com/
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 01:18 PM
stjohnbound

Definitely the Driskill or the Four Seasons. Can't go wrong with either location - both are right downtown and that's where you want to be.

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 01:25 PM
stjohnbound

Forgot to mention the Mansion at Judge's Hill. It's a B&B and very nice from what I hear (never stayed there). To give you a perspective on location, the Four Seasons is on Cesar Chavez (1st St), The Driskill is on 6th and the Mansion is around 15th. Depending on your age, most of the clubs are on 6th or around the Warehouse District (3rd or 4th).

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 03:06 PM

Hello tmemedia,

Austin welcomes you! So glad to hear you'll be visiting our fine city.

All the suggestions above are wonderful. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Just as a further suggestion, I've used Priceline several times for our out-of-town visitors. Go to biddingfortravel.com, and they list a number of 4* properties, all of which have locations directly downtown, which is what I think you'd want.

As one of the posters mentioned, January should give good rates, so you might be able to nab a great deal on Priceline.

Old Nov 25th, 2005, 02:16 PM

I recommend the Hyatt. It's a great location and you can get it on Priceline for anywhere from $46-$59 a night.