Reload this Page >

Bermuda Bay/Whispers Resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Deborah

We are considering 2 weeks in October with out 7 year old son. Is this a good place for a family holiday? We like it quiet on the beach but with access to kids stuff too.
Anybody been there? Thanks.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:25 AM
OiveOyl

Which Bermuda Bay, Deborah? If you are referring to the one in St Petersburg, FL, I absolutely would not stay there. Let me know if this is the same resort and I'll let you know more of the details.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Deborah

Oh dear.....yes it is the one. What's the lowdown?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:50 PM
OliveOyl

Deborah...haven't forgotten you. Had jury duty then a long dragged out trial today, not home until 7...and then with a headache to beat the band.

Will respond in the AM. Not sure where Whispers is but know you don't want Bermuda Bay!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 02:49 PM
OliveOyl

Deborah, the problem with Bermuda Bay is that it's isolated from everything and aside from being on Boca Ciega Bay, it's not in a good area. This is part of St Petersburg, not St Pete Beach and is a fair distance to the beach--I'm guessing a good 15 minute drive minimum, part of it over a toll road and a draw bridge.

We keep a sailboat on Boca Ciega and can see that "resort" when we pull out from our marina. I wouldn't swim in Boca Ciega and never have, although that's the bay we sail each weekend. Though they have a small amount of sand, there is no beach to walk other than what is immediately in front of the resort. It's not many people's idea of a beach holiday.

I'm not familiar with Whispers, but looking at their map see that they are on the bay side of Treasure Island. I would try for St Pete Beach (or Treasure Island), Gulf side, not bay side. Truly, you don't want to swim in the bay...not dirty, but not particularly nice for swimming either. St Pete Beach and TI are relatively quiet as well, and a good family vacation area. Sorry, living here I'm really not that familiar with the smaller Mom and Pop places.

I wonder if you are coming from the UK by any chance? Virtually all questions I've seen on Bermuda Bay on this board come from England...it's very curious.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 12:39 AM
Deborah

Hi Olive!
Thanks for that info. We're changing our plans completely and are now looking at Anna Maria Island. You're right we are from the UK - the resorts are featured in a timeshare mag that my parents get. Not familiar with the term Mom and Pop?! Thanks again!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 04:24 AM
OliveOyl

Deborah, I'm so glad you changed your plans, and so glad I saw this post initially. To come all this distance for a beach holiday then end up at Bermuda Bay would have been a tremendous disappointment. It's really a shame the ads go into the magazine as they do.

I think you'll enjoy Anna Maria. The beaches are pretty, it's a quiet area, yet close to very nice shopping and good restaurants in Sarasota and St. Armands Circle.

For a very nice meal out, be certain to try Beach Bistro. It's only a 12 table restaurant and you will need reservations well in advance. We also enjoy lunch at the Sandbar. The food isn't the thing there...it's fine, but not WOW food, but a pretty setting, eating out on a patio overlooking the pretty little beach and gorgeous water. Even I, who live here, will sit out on that patio and say, "Ahhh, Florida"! gt;

Mom and Pop places, by the way, are small family-run motels as opposed to larger chain hotels or motels. They aren't as fancy, but just the ticket for many, and the good ones fun to hunt down.

Hope you have a wonderful trip. October is a pretty time of year here, still plenty warm for swimming, but the edge is off the oppressive summer heat and humidity.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Deborah

Thanks for all your help Olive! The internet and sites like this one are certainly changing the way we travel these days. We're looking at staying at the Anna Maria Beach Cottages and if we book up, we'll definitely dine at the Beach Bistro! Cheers!