Reload this Page >

St. Simons and Jekyll Islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 10:22 PM
ann

My husband and I are taking a quick trip(4 nights) to Georgia. Must fly on Southwest so flying into Jacksonville, arriving at 7:30pm. We are thinking of spending 1st night at St. Simon's Island, then 2 nights Savannah, and the last night on Jekyll Island. Does that sound good? Need hotel recommendations. Would like reasonable price within walking distance of restaurants. Thank you.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 01:38 AM
Jen Ratta

My husband and I were there in June 2000. I think you're better off staying 2 nights in Savannah and 2 nights in St. Simon's Island. Jekyll Island was OK but didn't offer as much as St. Simon's. St. Simon's Island is a beach town, reminiscent of Martha's Vineyard or something similar. Savahhan is a wonderful historic town. We stayed at a Hampton Inn in St. Simon's Island. It was OK but we would have preferred something closer to the beach. We didn't stay in Savannah so I can't recommend anything there. Jekyll Island and St. Simon's Island are so close in proximity that you won't find the need to spend the night in both places. Pkus, you won't feel so rushed, especially since you don't arrive until 7:30pm. Enjoy!

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 04:53 AM
T.M.

I think one night in Savannah is plenty. It's a great town with plenty to offer but I love St. Simons. And Hilton Head is only 30 minutes away. That's my ultimate favorite. I'd skip Jeckyll altogether.

For dining in Savannah, I would definitely go to The Mother and Sons. You'll get some of the best revamped Southern cooking you've ever had. It's located in the Market Street area, which is surrounded by other equally good restaurants and shops.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 06:46 AM
BTilke

I hate to say this, but Jekyll Island bored me to tears. I stayed at the Ramada; the weather was so humid that some underwear I handwashed in the sink were still wet (not just damp) three DAYS later. The only way to cope with the humidity was to run the air conditioner full blast, which meant freezing to death instead. If Jekyll Island had enough other redeeming virtues, I could have put up with it, but it was dull, Dull, DULL. I'd take an extra night in St. Simon's or an extra night in Savannah, depending on your personal taste.
BTilke

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 06:48 AM
J T Kirk

Take a drive around Sea Island. It's the home of the filthy rich. If you can, check out the Cloister, the five-star resort on Sea Island.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 04:27 AM
KK

I have to agree with everyone else - don't bother with Jekyll. You will be hanging out with a bunch of redneck teenagers. I would spend my time in Savannah and St. Simons. There are alot of Bed and Breakfasts in Savannah (I suggest the River St. area). As for St. Simons, I suggest the King and Price or the Cloister. Another suggestion is driving to St. Mary's and taking a ferry over to Cumberland Island (this is where JFK, jr got married).

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 07:44 PM
Andrew

A lot of bad press here for Jekyll Island, which I think is an absolutely wonderful spot. Of course, if you stay at *any* Ramada Inn, you're not going to remember the trip as wonderful. Jekyll is the historical playground of the idle rich. To enjoy it, you need to be in that frame of mind. Stay at the Jekyll Island Club (now a Radisson property), rent a boat and picnic on Cumberland for a day, play tennis, lounge and swim at the pool, order room service, and luxuriate in the way the JP Morgan and Andrew Carnegie understood. If you're not in this frame of mind, I agree you should skip Jekyll. But I will say this in response to a post above: one finds many more redneck teenagers on St. Simons than on Jekyll. Of course, depending on your goals, this is not necessarily a bad thing...

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 07:49 PM
Angela

I would recommend the King and Prince at St. Simmons. Also, my husband I stayed at the Eliza Thompson House in Savannah for St. Patty's day this year and it was very nice and quaint if you like the Bed and Breakfast thing. It was in the "historic" district close enough to walk anywhere.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:17 PM
Kimee

Well we live in Jekyll and it is an AWESOME place. If you want nightlife, clubs, tacky shops, hustle-bustle, it's not for you. But if you enjoy class, laid-back days, a nice walking tour through large oaks, few shops, southern marshes, egrets along the waterside, ice cream, and a few beautiful old wooden mansions on some awesome property,go to the old historic Jekyll Island Club Hotel and sit on their old large verandas, reminiscent of the Rockefeller days gone by! There's a really nice (local) bookstore within walking distance, nestled in the giant oak trees. There's also croquet on the front lawn of the old club/hotel...nice to see players actually dressed in white, as they used to be!
Very southern, very quiet, and NO punky kids as the previous post said. We go there just to dine in their restaurant and to sit on the porch, sipping our drinks.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:32 PM
x

jekyll sounds GOOOD to me!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:41 AM
nope

Hope you like brown sand beaches and water color to match!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Steve

Kimee-

I will be vacationing on Jekyll Island for the first time this summer with my wife & children (3 & 7). We are staying at the Jekyll Inn.

It sounds like most of the better restaurants are on St. Simons. What places would you recommend (good food, atmosphere & family-friendly)?
Thank you.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 05:32 PM
yohoho

Like Kimee, I live on Jekyll Island. Re/ the teenage punks, they certainly do not hang out on Jekyll, but you will find them by the dozens on St. Simons.
Jekyll is quiet, safe, and a great place for families who want to ride bikes, enjoy nature and spend time together.It's not for everyone but where is?
If you stay on St. Simons. try the crabtrap for seafood in a funky sitting. For steaks and seafood, try Bennies Redbarn.If you want to drop some money, go to the Cloisters for dinner.On Jekyll, go to the old Jekyll Club hotel.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Kimee

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Jekyll Island Club Hotel. It reeks of "old money," rather than these pristeen-everything's-perfect-and-plastic resorts that are being built today by the dozens. You'll find a small cafe right off the big porch of the hotel which serves sandwiches, soups, salads, beverages, and desserts which is quite reasonable. There's also quality white-tablecloth dining in the hotel, rather pricey, altho good. You can also take a horse & carriage ride through the area, and a peaceful and gorgeous area it is, under the majestic moss-laden oaks. Very un-touristy. I know your family will enjoy and look forward to your posts once you return!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Kimee

Forgot...do you hotel recommendations in Savannah? Not sure if you'd be interested in B&B's there, but we've pretty much stayed in them all. We'd be glad to share them with you if you are interested. Be sure to visit the squares that are sprinkled throughout Savannah - they're absolutely gorgeous. River Street is touristy and at times downright filthy, although the kids might like it. Restaurants on River Street so-so. Try Clary's for breakfast...been there for YEARS and all the locals go there.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:52 AM
steve

Kimee-

Thanks for the info, but we are staying at the Jekyll Inn Resort on the beach - not the Jekyll Island Club (though we do plan to visit there). What do you know about the Jekyll Inn (we are in one of the 2BR villas)?

We are stopping in Savannah for one night on the way down (staying at the Mulberry Inn). Any additional Savannah or St. Simons Island restaurant choices would be welcome. Thanks.