BedBugs Vagabond Inn Hollywood

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YIKES!!! BEDBUGS!! Vagabond Inns Executive Hollywood California, had BEDBUGS when I stayed there in December. My friend and I woke up to bugs in the bed and bite marks on our bodies.

Bed Bugs feed on human blood (possibly transmitting disease) while you sleep and then can travel in your suitcase and infest your home.

That is what happen to me when I stayed there. The bedbugs from the Vagabond Inn Executive Hollywood California traveled home in my suitcase, which then infested my home and has cost me thousands in pest control services, ruined furniture, clothing, bedding and carpeting.

What is worse is the physical and emotional toll this has taken on me for the last several months. The loss of sleep, the bug bites...It's been a NIGHTMARE!!

I've compalined to the Vagabond Inn management and corporation and have been told it's my problem, but they would be happy to give a free nights stay next time I am in California. Are they kidding?

The Vagabond Inn Hollywood had bedbugs when I stayed there, if they still do, you could get bit, they could travel back to your home and ruin everything from your furnishings to your health.

I would say stay away...don't take the chance. I read a review on bestHotels.com and another person also had bedbugs in the bed at the Vagabond Inn Hollywood and they were just there in March. So clearly, the Vagabond Inn has not taken care of the problem...as long as they continue to deny the problem ... it will continue to exist...

If anyone has stayed at or knows anyone who did stay at the Vagabond Inn Executive, Hollywood California and had a bad experienece or had bugs in the room...please email me. I would like to hear your story, Thank you.

Email me at
[email protected]
Old May 27th, 2004, 03:45 AM

Why keep putting all these different posts here? Why not just sue the hotel and get it over with?
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Because I want to warn and protect people from the same problem. This hotel had bugs when I stayed there and I didn't know what they were.

This hotel still had complaints about bedbugs in March.

I am getting the word out. If I knew what bedbugs were I would have thrown out my suitcase after leaving that hotel.

Most people I've talked to don't know bedbugs exist let alone that you can also pick them up in your suitcase and ruin your home and your health.

Old May 27th, 2004, 11:44 AM
DB

Return of the Bedbugs
Pests, Once Nearly Vanquished, Appear to Rebound in East Coast Cities:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/Li...ugs030519.html

What they are:
http://medent.usyd.edu.au/fact/bedbugs.html

Old May 28th, 2004, 12:52 PM
bonniebroad

I would think anybody who reads the ABC News article mentioned in DB's post above would understand why "emmiegirl" has been so vocal in warning others of this problem. Geesh, this re-emergence is sure news to me. I thought these things were just something from the past, mentioned only in my admonition to my granddaughter when I put her to bed, as in "don't let the bedbugs bite!" Never occurred to me that we should STILL be worrying about them in this day and age..........

In any case, I believe "Emmiegirl" is only trying hard to prevent someone else's going through the misery she has/is, and I, for one, am glad that she has brought up the subject, however many times, because I would never have imagined such a thing. She doesn't deserve to be maligned for it...... she's only trying to help. And, in truth, you can bring up a subject here, it can disappear from the top 100 in hours, and a new person coming onto the forum later will never know it's been discussed (unless they're a person who does searches, which many do not.) So I see nothing wrong with repeating information if you think it's necessary.

(How many times do we all repeat facts about Hawaii to new people? Again and again............and don't get slammed for it!)

Old May 28th, 2004, 01:07 PM
LN

I can understand your feelings about this place but I wonder if you could be better served by notifying the county agency in California that can check out this condition and close the place.

You could try the Health Department or possibly the licensing in that county as I'm sure the state and county have rules which Vagabound is probably breaking.

Just a thought - if they get served with summons and fines you're doing more to bring them into line with health department regulations or helping to close their doors.
Old May 28th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I apprecaite your support and advice.

I have reported this to the LA county Housing and Institution Department, a division of the Deaprtment of Health Services, LA Public Health...months ago.

I called numerous times to get an answer about how the inspection went and no one returned my calls.

I called recently and asked how many complaints were filed against this hotel for bedbugs (after reading an april post on BestHotel.com about another person who stayed there and found bedbugs) they told me "none" no reports.

I said. "Well, you should at least have one...I personally called and gave all of the information, dates, room number, my contact info etc...specifically with a complaint about bedbugs" She said "well, we have no record of it"
I guess they have poor record keeping.

However, she told me that the inspectors are not trained to look for bedbugs...they would not know where to look and are not trained on what bedbugs look like. She told me, even with an inspection, they only check for roaches, spidars and fleas...no bedbugs.

So there you go...that is why I was there in December and got bedbugs and while travelers to this hotel are still complaining as recently as April 2004 about bedbugs in the room/bed.

This is a big reason for my concerns and warnings. If the hotels are not managing the problems. And the Health Department isn't checking for bedbugs, the problem will only increase. And all we can do as travelers is protect ourselves, and stay informed.

I can not believe they do not train the inspectors for bedbugs since LA has seen this as a problem for the last 2 years. The following information is on this organizations website (LA Public Health Org) they posted this warning in 2002:

Bulletin on Bed Bugs
Last Updated: 2002/08/08 07:30:53
Summary: ... BED BUGS IN LOS ANGELES COUNTY BED BUGS HAVE RESURFACED AS AN IMPORTANT PUBLIC HEALTH PEST OF NOT ONLY HOUSING INSTITUTIONS, HOTELS, AND MOTELS, BUT MULTIPLE AND SINGLE FAMILY DWELLINGS AS WELL. IN THE PAST, BED BUG INFESTATIONS WERE MOST OFTEN ASSOCIATED WITH TRANSIENT HOUSING, BUT SEVERAL PEST MANAGEMENT COMPANIES HAVE WITNESSED A SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN BED BUG COMPLAINT CALLS FROM HOTELS AND MOTELS SERVICING THE TOURIST TRADE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. IT IS SUSPECTED THAT GUESTS TRANSPORT...
http://lapublichealth.org/eh/progs/c...bsp; 57kb

Check it out if you have any interest...

Well, I am traveling for the holiday weekend...and glad to be doing so. I know what to look for, and plan on having a great time.

Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

PS Thank you bonniebroad, LN and DB for your advice and addition information and support. I appreciate it.