Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do you get bored of all this after a while, scrolling through all the topics and none really are of interest any more?

Notices

Do you get bored of all this after a while, scrolling through all the topics and none really are of interest any more?

Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you scroll through these messages for the day after not having been here for a while and think to yourself... "Oh, another trip report from there, and I don't really care" or "Jeez, these messages aren't that thrilling today, I'm not even going to click on them to read them?"

Just curious as to the level of apathy you experience after having been here for a few years.

I sometimes get like this when I'm not really planning any travel, or busy with other web boards that week that pique my interest more. I'll scroll through lots of messages and will respond to the couple where I have some experience with a particular place that someone's questioning about.

I hope my zest for travel comes back soon! I'm sure it's just a stage of short term boredom I'm going through. I don't need a travel doctor, do I?

Steve R
Silver Spring MD
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:25 AM
Neopolitan

No you just need a good drink and a good night's sleep. Maybe you'll be fine tomorrow. Get well soon.

Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:49 AM

Steve
I know what you mean. I've been posting since like 2000 and I hang out here less and less. Sometimes I read a question and I think "where do I start?" so I just log off. It's already been said many times and I feel like maybe some one else will have the answer.
It also seems a little inside here, and that doesn't appeal to me so much.

I recently went to southern CA so I have info about the Getty and Magic Mountian as well as the freeways etc. but people don't seem to ask about that. I spend more time on Trip Advisor. It's a bit busier and it's divided by state so it's easier to stick with what you know.

Maybe with people planning their summer vacation questions might get more interesting.

Last week we went to Duke's in Malibu ans sat on the outside patio watching the dolphins and drinking many rounds of Mai Tais - made me miserable for HI. Maybe that what my problem is. Is there a doctor for that?
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Maybe it's the message titles that aren't doing it for me... Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just being honest (cranky) today. So when I see a message title that says New York. I think, "uh, why am I even bothering to check the question when the title is so vague?" Sometimes I'll look at the question or nature of the message and sometimes I won't.

If the question instead said "NYC - For under $250 a night would you stay at the Sheraton Manhattan or the Marriott Residence Inn for May 18th, 2 ngts and why?"

Now that's a subject that I can sink my teeth into! I have direct knowledge on the subject and I'm invested in others opinions too.

Steve R
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:02 PM

I agree, Fodor's just doesn't seem to do it anymore...lots of posters but boring! I have found some other sites to have better forums, particularly Trip Advisor and TTG.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:17 PM

If you think it's boring here, try cruisecritic.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:33 PM

Funny, I don't come here to be entertained. I come here for information. Sometimes, I happened to be entertained too.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:12 PM

When I first started coming here, someone made a suggestion that Hawaii should have a separate talk site. I thought that was silly, but I have changed my mind. It's the same old questions over and over and over again.

Perhaps if there was a separate one as there is for other places outside the US mainland, they would just go there to find what they need. After all, you can't get there by car. You don't need routes or stops along the way.

There are so many of Hawaii posts that other ones are quickly moved to the second page and soon overlooked.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:52 PM

Certainly some of us do regret the intrusion of the trolls who are not funny, the posters who must have the last word, they know who they are,
the insulting the unkind, but saying that, the trolls who are creatively funny, the regulars who add spice and wit, rather than whether they are right or wrong are refreshing. Let a smile be on your postings. Alot of grumpy posters here. Many leave here after a first try for these reasons above.
Some are here all day, but claim to have a life. Kiss someone, read a book.
take a break. Life is there outside of fodors.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:48 PM

Is this an annual exam question?

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...en_name=stever
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

AnnMarie C: You're a trip! Your level of research is truly remarkable. Thanks for posting my old message, as I forgot that I was at this exact same place (apathy) about a year ago too.

Don't get me wrong - I still love this place and use it when I need it. It's just that after not having been here for a while, out of sheer boredom I log in, check out the messages and find barely a few that hold any interest to me, as I feel like I've "read there, done that already 10 X over".

It's just a passing phase I'm sure, till next May I guess when I may be back at the same spot and forgot about this posting!

Gosh, hope I haven't offended anyone. It's just where I'm at...

Regards,
Steve R
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:40 PM

stever, Spring fever? Cabin fever? Enui?
I think a break is good now and then.
If you really think you need a travel doctor, I recommend seeing one in , say, Argentina? or maybe Italy, later this year
Scarlett
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:41 PM

Wow I posted earlier after I looked at Maria's link but my post disappeared. This place is getting spooky.

In my post I said how embarrassing it was that I said virtually the same thing last year! Geez I can't even come up with a new answer to any questions!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 09:21 PM

I must admit that I peruse the titles and sometimes feel much the same way that you do. I took a break for a few months, and that helped. And it never fails, when I'm in active travel planning mode I have to check out the boards!
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

So very true... Invariably, when I'm planning a trip, I'm locked into this site like a homing pidgeon. I comb the threads like my life depended upon it, and I'm there to answer every and all questions pertaining to anything I've done and have experience with. Plus, I'll respond to the "cool threads" that don't have to do with anything specific that have like 326 responses already. Those get overwhelming when it comes to reading them late in the game, but if I'm REALLY bored I'll read as much of them as I can. They're more informative than most travel books and 10 times more up to date.

Yes, a break may be in store for me to refresh my engines .

It's Asheville NC in a month for 4 days, Ocean City MD this summer for a long weekend and Italy for 3 weeks later in September. By then I'll be in seek mode again.

Cheers y'all, my Fodors family.

Steve R
Silver Spring MD
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:12 AM

I'll mark the maybe box and check back with you next year ;-) Enjoy a wonderful (three weeks?!?) trip to Italy!
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:27 AM
Jed

Fodors is like clams - Although the majority are barren, search and you will find some invaluable pearls. That's what makes Fodors so great.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:58 AM
Neopolitan

OK, go ahead and slam me, but the posts I find the most boring here are the ones complaining about how boring the other ones are. At least even the most mundane of travel reports has something of interest about travel. What does this thread offer?

Sorry, I just thought it needed to be said.

Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 07:16 AM

Maybe try to read only those that you can contribute to, I don't read everyone, I've got things to do, books to read but the fun ones break the boredom, so that's why one shouldn't object to them, like this one , for instance
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:25 AM

Jed -- do you mean clams... or oysters for finding that ever so elusive pearl?

Taking a vacation helps with the boredom. Maybe a break from Fodor's is in order. 8-)

I'm always much more engaged when I am either actively pursuing information, or find a post that is on a topic I know something about. I try not to be bothered by multitude of things that don't apply to me or my knowledge base.

Cigalechanta, I'm with you. I am constantly puzzled over those who need to post their disapproval over a topic, or whatever. They behave as though they have no free will, and are being forced to read and respond!! Oh well, I guess I'm not being a whole lot better, with this comment... lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO