Search

beach trip with baby & driving???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beach trip with baby & driving???

Help fellow friends,

I'm craving a ocean/beach vacation this summer and my husband is worried about flying with a baby. We live in Chicago and he said we could take a beach vacation provided that we can drive to it. Ughhh-he doesn't want to fly with a baby. So my dilema is what beach/ocean town that is within driving distance with a real ocean, not the great lakes. Looking for charm, relaxing atmosphere and of course, the ocean.

I was thinking Maine or perhaps heading down south towards the Carolinas. Have been to florida before and enjoyed that but perhaps it's too far.

I'm sick of winter and I am really looking forward to hearing the sound of the waves and the smell of the salty sea.

Any ideas? Or should I just convince him that flying with a baby (he would be roughly 10 months old at time of travel) is not so bad.

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 07:17 AM

The Florida Panhandle is about the same distance to the Carolinas, or maybe just a little longer. Maine's nice, but don't expect to swim, as the water is still quite cold.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 08:02 AM

If he is worried about air-safety with the baby, statistically speaking driving is far more dangerous than flying.

If he is worried about being trapped in a plane with your baby for a few hours, driving 3 hours or more can be equally painful, if not more painful.

We've been traveling with our first child since he was a few months old. We now have two kids under 3 and have taken them on several flights, including trips to Europe. We've never had a problem.

There are several posts on the best way to travel with a baby, if you decide to give a flight a shot.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 08:26 AM
cd

redshoe
You can take 65 almost all the way to Pensacola, Florida and it is a great beach area. Just type in "Pensacola" above and do a search for some good ideas. Also, if you decide to fly just ask your doctor for a decongestant for your baby. Their ears give them a lot of discomfort because of pressure.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 08:33 AM

Seems to me that you are about 1000 miles from the nearest ocean. I think this is not yet a travel question, but a husband-wife question. Does he not want to fly because of safety, expense, logistics of flying with baby - or does he just not want to go to a beach and is just saying "sure - we'll go to a beach we can drive to"

If he thinks flying with a baby is difficult - imagine being cooped up in a car with a baby for 2 days.

Traveling with kids is certainly different than travel BC (before children). Logistics takes on more importance than location. Try making lists of what you each expect in a vacation now and what you anticipate as problems - go from there.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 08:36 AM
BAK

The only warm northern salt water is in Northumberland Strait between new Brunswick / Nova Scotia and Printe Edward Island, and on the north side of PEI.

It's about 1000 miles from Toronto, which is, I think, about 600 miles from Chicago.

Sandy Beaches, tidal pools that even little kids can play in, if the baby can sit up.

Closer, with fresh water; the north shore of Lake Erie, east of Wiindsor, in the Pelee island area, and the shore of Lake Huron, north of Port Huron and Sarnia. For reasons that I don't understand, and based in no way on research, I seem to think the Canadian side of the lake is warmer than the US side. I do know the Ontario beaches are wide, sandy,... but have no idea of the Michigan side, which might be equally nice, and closer.
BAK
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 01:36 PM

I'd choose flying as opposed to driving with a baby ANY day!
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

I think flying is way easier too,although I haven't done it yet. Husband seems to think that flying is bad on the baby's ears and then the whole seat issue thing...should we buy him his own seat (I say yes) etc. I agree that car ride with little tyke would be more drawn out and hectic

Now I just have to figure out where to go
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 04:26 PM

If you are willing to drive all the way to Maine then consider Cape Cod also. It's a little closer, the ocean is warmer and the entire Cape is a family/beach oriented vacation area.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 05:20 PM

I had flown on about 10 trips (20 flights) with my daughter by the time she was two. Flying is much easier than driving - I have never used a decongestant when I fly with her, just a bottle at takeoff and landing to keep her ears from popping. It was easier to fly with a baby then a toddler so get your trips in now.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 06:24 PM

I've done both drive and fly and survived. Here are some things I have learned:

Driving-Drive at night when the baby will sleep. If you have to drive during the day, take frequent breaks.

Flying-For your own sanity and the baby's safety buy the extra seat and take a FAA approved car carrier. Take an umbrella stroller and gate check it. Check the airlines policy on pre-boarding. Take along snacks and plenty of toys for diversion. Feed the baby on take-offs and landings to relieve pressure in their ears. Book a direct flight if you can and travel in the am when you are least likely to be delayed due to weather etc.

Talk to your pediatrician if you have any concerns.

Above all, relax, babies can sense when we are upset.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 06:57 PM

Redshoe, Maine doesn't have much in the way of sand beaches, most of Maine's coast is rocky I believe. The most direct route to a beach would probably be Virginia or Maryland. Ocean City MD is just over 800 mis and Virginia Beach is just under 900 mis. Also, going a bit later in the summer means the ocean will be warmer. Good luck!
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For God's sake man, don't let the baby drive!
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 11:31 AM

i would say to look up the shortest direct flight to a beachy destination and buy it.

i took my son to hawaii from boston when he was exactly 10 months old. that's 24 HOURS of flights! he was great and we all survived. but i get nervous having him in the car for longer than an hour, since i cant take him out of the seat while we're driving.

honestly, if you can find a flight that is 3 hours or less, it's a piece of cake. we didnt get our son his own seat for the hawaii trip (or any of our trips to florida) and he did just fine in our laps.

hope this helps...
~fiasco
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 12:45 PM
MightyIsis

I'd pick a good beach by a nonstop flight and fly there. Maybe around Tampa, Miami, Ft. Myers, Ft. Lauderdale, etc. Talk to the doctor, but I would think pressure in baby's ears would be relieved when he opens his mouth to cry. If your husband still refuses to fly with the baby, he can drive and meet you two there after you have been relaxing on the beach for 2 days (ha ha ha). The final decision should rest with whomever had the morning sickness and got to give birth.