Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best place to travel with a toddler (16 months old)

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to take a vacation somewhere with our toddler. This is our first child so this is very new to us. We live in Michigan. We are thinking either Florida or somewhere outwest.

Any suggestions on destinations and hotels in that area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you,
Susan
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention, we would probably like to travel somewhere in the late spring or early fall to avoid heavy tourist. Also, looking for somewhere preferably warm. Again, thank you.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:30 AM

We live in Ohio and go to Hilton Head, SC every summer w/our young children (we took my son when he was very young). I like that there are a lot of house rental/condo rental options so the adults have room to relax when the little one sleeps. The island itself is very family friendly and the ocean is calm enough for a toddler (assuming there is no bad weather on the way).
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:32 AM
GoTravel

Your toddler probably will not care where he is so I'd choose where you and your husband would enjoy.

Kids love the beach! How about renting a condo on the beach is South Florida?

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Fairhope

I am not sure that kids that age always enjoy the beach. I know my grandson doesn't! Besides the beach can be very hot--you have to worry about sunburn and bites etc.
Find a place that has a variety of activities that might include a petting zoo,a baby pool, shade, a place where he can easily nap and have his snacks, room to put him in a stroller and take family walks.
I think you should think of it as your vacation with some way to entertain him so he sleeps and eats well and gets some stimulation.
How about a family dude ranch!!

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies. All the ideas are great. I also thought it was an excellent point about renting a timeshare/condo so that my husband and I can have time to ourselves in the evening...great idea.

Again, thank you.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 11:17 AM

When our kids were that age, where we went was much less important than how we went. First, a regular hotel room starts to feel quite cramped after one night - bedtimes/naptimes do not mesh well. Even a room with alcove, jr. suite, etc. is better. Condo, apartment or Residence Inn type place is even better.

Second - food. Eating out with a toddler can be challenging and eating out 3 meals/day with a toddler gets old even faster than a small hotel room. You want at least a microwave and refrigerator in your room. That way you can both store inevitable snacks for toddler and even eat a cheap and informal meal (like bagels and fruit for breakfast) without hauling kid to yet another restaurant.

Third - travel logistics. Depending on your kid's car-tolerance, keep drive to 4-6 hours. Many kids will sleep forever in a car seat - great for the trip, but then they are awake all night. Any plane trips are best kept to about 4 hours or so. Some advise only non-stop, but letting kid run off steam in an airport between flights can work as well.

Type of destination - as mentioned above, kid will really not care (our dtr was at WDW with us at about that age and could just as well have been at the mall for all she knew riding in her stroller). We found cities did not adapt as well to travel with young kids as did more rural locations (beach, mountain cabin, etc.) Most toddlers don't act real nice in museums, etc. in cities.

Now, as also mentioned above, decide where YOU want to go and try to fit into the logistical parameters. Before you know it, you will have teenagers like we do who have definite opinions about where they want to go!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Despite the negative comments of some, plenty of kids LOVE the beach. Suggesting your child won't like the beach because another kid doesn't ..well, I just stop there and leave it unsaid.

You can easily minimize the negative effects of the sun by following some very basic rules that you'd follow in the summertime anyway. Use a sunscreen that's at least a 30, apply it before you go outside, reapply a few times, make them wear a hat and get them either a full body wetsuit or have them wear a t-shirt. Both my kids (3 1/2 and 2) have very fair skin and we've never had a problem with sunburn even with having been to Mexico twice and Barbados.

The biggest issue we've faced traveling with toddlers is the amount of stuff that you need to carry, even if you're planning on buying things like diapers at your destination.

Assuming you haven't spent much time with your child on a plane, I've found the biggest challenge to be fighting off the boredom. We'll take a few of our kids favorite toys out of their rooms about 10 days before we leave so that they're excited by them on the plane. I also have a portable DVD player with a 3 hour battery, worst case.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:05 PM

Does your toddler sleep well at night? If not you might want to consider a place with separate cabins or hotels/condos with thick walls. Our first child got very homesick (was fine during the day) at Yosemite Valley. We knew her crying was probably disturbing the other residents of our quaint but older hotel so we spend HOURS driving around Yosemite Valley in the middle of the night trying to calm her down. (We checked out early the next day!)

You'd think we would have learned, but... same problem with my second child at the Disneyland Hotel. He was happy as a clam during the day, but very unhappy that night. After a full day at Disneyland, there we were pushing his stroller around the hotel parking lot at midnight trying to get him to calm down and go to sleep.

For a few years we only went to places where we could rent a cabin or private home. Luckily, my kids are great travellers (and sleepers) now!
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 05:04 AM

I've got the same question Susan has. We'd like to travel somewhere in April with a then 20 month old. We thought about WDW, but as Gail posted, they are not going to know the difference. We live in Boston and so I think to get a little warmer weather, we'd have to take a plane ride. My son hasn't done the plane thing yet, but I'm not worried about that. I just need ideas for a destination, as April is not really beach weather yet.....
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 05:44 AM

A second vote for Hilton Head. We went last year when our daughter was about 16 mos. Lots of nice condos to choose from. I insist on oceanfront so there isn't a lot of schlepping kid/umbrella/towels/etc down to the beach and back. Most of the large complexes also have pool, kiddie pool, playground, etc. There are plenty of family-friendly restaurants in HH and Savannah is nearby if you want a break from the beach to do some sightseeing. There is also lots of golf.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 06:32 AM

I agree with GT, go where you want to go, at that age kids think transductively rather than inductively, in other words they don't give a poop WHERE they are but only that you are there. The best advice is your agenda and what makes your time with them and what you do trouble free. http://www.babiestravellite.com/travelguide1.html
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 06:41 AM

This is not a smart alec opinion, rather one of an experienced parent.

The best place to vacation with your toddler is relatives. Preferably Grandma and Grandpa live some hours or more away. Comforts of home, get yourself a break, everybody is happy (mostly). Cool destination vacations are wasted on the very young.

On the other hand, if the adults need a vacation, then do what YOU want.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 06:54 AM

I'm another one that votes for "go where you want to do". You best will know what your child can handle.

We took our boys camping at that age. Not just a little camping trip, but two week road trip camping. They didn't know any better and loved it. They enjoyed it year after year. DS, DIL, and 14 month old grandson drove last summer from the east coast to the west coast. Spent 4 weeks with us and then we went camping in Utah for a week at the National Parks, and then they drove back home...Grandson was then 15 months old. He enjoyed everything.

I'm not saying you should camp or even drive, but kids LOVE being with their parents.

BRING A COMFY that your toddler likes..ie blanket, stuffed toy, etc.

Utahtea
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 08:00 AM

I like a beach vacation when the kids are toddlers. We've taken our kids to Siesta Key, FL when they were that age. We rent a condo at the beach.

We found traveling with kids much easier if you can stay in one place for a while - not checking in and out. Also, a separate bedroom so he/she can go to bed earlier than you.

We're lucky because we prefer casual seafood restaurants when we're there. Eating outside, if possible, is easier, especially if there is something for the baby to watch (boats in the water or even people on a sidewalk). We try to eat either a late lunch or early dinner out.

We've also discovered that almost any restaurant will provide take-out, and we often have take-out for dinner. One of you can put the baby to bed while the other goes to pick up a late dinner. We still like to do this, even with older kids. Somtimes, even older kids would prefer a sandwich to "fish AGAIN!"

We never had a problem with sleeping because the baby gets worn out during the day. Buy a baby boat (a swim ring with a seat). Thier little legs kick the whole time they're in it. Let them walk on the beach and have some playtime in the condo. Rent a beach stroller when you get there. It's much easier to push and you can also use it to carry toys and towels to the beach.

We've always enjoyed these trips because we all get a vacation. A sunset walk on the beach is always romantic, even if you're pushing a stroller. Having a nice take-out dinner in the condo with a bottle of wine, knowing your little one is safe and sound in the next room, can be very nice.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 08:36 AM

Club Med has a great property in Florida.....and it has a kid's club. The whole resort is geared towards families. It has enough to keep all of you happy.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 12:44 PM

I agree with Buttercup. When our kids were young we usually rented a beach condo. That way the kids can go to bed first/take naps/sleep in, or whatever fits their schedule, while you can be up and about without waking them. The condo is also great for breakfast and lunch if you want, along with juice and snacks (and wine for the parents!). We visited Siesta Key several times and loved it, and also did Sanibel Island. Both are lovely beaches on the generally pretty calm Gulf of Mexico. Those remain some of my favorite trips.
I would strongly suggest postponing Disney until your child is older. We found 4-5 is about the best to start. It is very crowded and tiring and really small children can be easily overwhelmed and scared. Plus it's easier when they no longer need naps or special food.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 02:07 PM

I think renting a vacation home, cabin or cottage is best when your kids are small. You'll have a kitchen, a seperate, quiet place for nap time, and you won't have to worry about being on the 20th floor of a hotel with active, climbing toddlers. I don't even like to think about the possibilities of that.

Sesamee
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 02:14 PM

My daughter will turn 1 this week. My husband and I traveled all over the world before we had her, so we still like to take a trip now and then. We took her to Hawaii in November, the flight was a nightmare but other than that the trip was pretty good. We decided a shorter nonstop flight would be a better option for our next trip in March. We decided on Siesta Key Florida and are renting a condo on the beach for the week. The beach there is 99% quartz so it doesn't get hot.

A condo is so much easier than a hotel with a baby/toddler. We spent 3 nights of our Hawaii trip in a hotel and the rest in condos, the condos were so much easier with a kitchen and a separate room to have her nap/sleep in. I'd get our daughter to bed in the evening while my husband would pick up our take out dinner. It was much more relaxing than trying to take her out to dinner with us.
http://www.siestakeychamber.com/index.htm
http://www.sarasotasurf.com/index.cfm
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Condo, beach, pool. Make it easy on yourself. If Baby doesn't get into the ocean, purchase or pack an inflatable pool and fill it with water. Put it in the sand under your umbrella, sit back and watch the mess.

We rented a condo on Flagler Beach in Florida when my son was 2. The complex had a pool as well.

Baby will get older soon enough. Go with the flow and keep it simple.