too hot for baby

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
too hot for baby

me my hubbie, my 3 yr old and baby (will be 4 1/2 month old in aug) are planning to go to florida in august-will it be to hot and rainy for the baby?do the thunderstorms come every day? how long do they last?
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 07:31 AM

When I lived in S Fla, it rained for about an hour around 4pm in Aug. Really nothing to worry about...and we had a/c.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:59 AM

Guess what!!! People who live in Florida have babies and they manage to survive in spite of the heat and rain. You do have to be a little sensible and not sit for hours on the beach even under an umbrella. Go inside when it starts to thunder. Those thunderstorms seldom last long.

In other words, use common sense about taking care of your children. See that they take their naps and don't let them get overheated or dehydrated. Plenty of water or fruit juice Please!
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 09:04 AM

Babies can easily get very cranky if overheated - so plan activities in limited time periods. Also - be sure you all use plenty of sunscreen (ask you pediatrican which for baby), wear hats and be sure everyone stays fully hydrated. (Babies are so small they dehydrate quickly - so monitor exactly how much water baby is drinking - not just formula.)
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 09:42 AM

While people in Florida do have babies, not every person in Florida acts like a tourist hanging out at the pool, the beach, or outside. They have the good sense to be inside in the air conditioning as much as possible, especially with a baby.

Why Florida in the hottest month of the year? If you want a beach, why not go to New England. Or avoiding the beach all together.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 09:53 AM

I am a native Texan so I know how hot August can be. If you are set on going to the beach in August just use common sense. Only have baby out early in the morning and late in the evening, keep him/her very hydrated, and make him weat some kind of hat along with sunblock. When my son was 4.5 months, I tried to run errands when it wasn't as hot and other than that I kept him inside in the AC!
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 10:17 AM

What part of Florida? What type of activities will you be doing? Is one of you going to a business conference and the other is going along? Or are you planning a beach vacation? Or ??? This type of info can help us give you much better advice.