Search

BBQ - Memphis

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBQ - Memphis

What's the best BBQ restaurant in Memphis? Going for the first time in March for a long weekend. Also, what are the must sees. Thanks to all.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 09:00 AM
S_

Personally, I'm not as wild about it as everyone else, but supposedly the place for BBQ/ribs in downtown Memphis is The Rendevous. Its entrance is in an alleyway a coupla blocks off Beale St.

We went to Memphis the first weekend in January. My family thoroughly enjoyed the complete tour of Graceland. We tried to do some other stuff, but it was closed. The To-Scale model of the Mississippi River on Mud Island is pretty cool, but Mud Island may not be open yet. Try the Memphis website.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 09:14 AM

It has been a while, but I liked The Public Eye and Corky's. Look them up when you get there--it is hard to find bad barbeque in Memphis. Try the dry rub as well as the wet, I prefer it.

Good luck.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 10:33 AM

When someone talks barbecue in Memphis, someone is talking my game. Whooo AH! I think the top two are the Corky's chain, and the Rendevous (referred to by many locals as "the 'vous".) I prefer the 'vous, which is downtown in the basement of one of the hotels or an office tower I believe. Not the most attractive place to eat, a bit smoky down there, I suggest getting your chow to-go and hauling your grubbity grub to a nice spot on the riverbank to fully enjoy the engorgement. Whilst I don't think it appropriate to discuss the topic of dry versus wet rubs in mixed company, I do suggest trying both the dry and wet rubs (one is rubbed with seasonings, the other slathered in sauce) and seeing which you like best. eeee-AH! Mmmmmmmuuuooh! Great stuff!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 11:08 AM

3 good bets for BBQ in Memphis

1) The Rendevous...great dry rubbed ribs. It's in a basement in an alley across from the Peabody

2) Corky's...Unfortunately, the original has become "chained" itself, but is still pretty good.

3) Blues City Cafe...on Beale across from BB Kings...looks like a dive, but THE best ribs in Memphis

also you can cross the river to West Memphis, Ark and eat at Slick Willies...it's on the right as you're going west on I-40...you'll see the signs
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 01:12 PM

I lived in Memphis for a year and the best place for ribs was the Cozy Corner on Manassas. It is owned by the Robinson family and they are wonderful! Make a point to check them out. I took all my out of town guests there and everyone loved it.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 01:13 PM

P.S. As for must-sees, after you've done Graceland and the ducks at the Peabody, don't miss the Civil Rights Museum. It's in the hotel where Martin Luther King was killed and it is very moving.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 03:24 PM

I second the recommendation for the Civil Rights Museum--it's incredibly movning and well done. They have recently opened up the house across the street where James Earl Ray fired the shots to kill Dr. King, and this provides even more information within the context of the museum.

If you enjoy "broadway" style shows, look up the Orpheum Theater on-line and find out if they have any shows while you're in town. I've seen so many great shows here and the theater is beautiful.

If you like animals and zoos, you might take a trip to the Memphis Zoo. It's really well done and the weather just might be nice, but cool, in March.

Beale Street, of course, is interesting to check out while you're there too. There's usually some type of live music on a corner somewhere and several of the clubs/restaurants usually have live music too.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 03:44 PM

I have occasion to change planes in Memphis and am always seduced by the BBQ carryout at the airport terminal. All those pilots in line to take it home are a good advertisement as well. LMF
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 06:43 PM

Rendevous - dry rub - and try the red beans and rice. They usually just have it on weekends - but I've been able to 'sweet-talk' them into getting some for me!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 07:04 PM

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Gridley's. It's been years since I've been in Memphis, but Gridley's was an institution for BBQ. The debate on ribs was always dry (rendezvous) vs wet (Gridley's). They had 2 locations but now seem to have 4. Memphis is a crazy basketball town & while I'm not a sports person, I know about March madness. So if Memphis is in the running, the game is the place to be. There's also a surprisingly good art museum.